Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Stop Sale on certain diesels incoming (intake air heater relay). - Recall Y76 REFRESHED OCT 2021

Combra6589

Reaction score
I got the the same remark from the newbie service guy at the dealer out here, mine is the AB , no parts till FEB 22 said the new part says AA ,didn,t get the rest of it , I,m going to pull my own and see whats underneath, i assume thats where the short is coming from, not a big fan on disconnecting but hate to see it burn to the ground
Recall part number is CSMNY761AA. No info on it at all

cycling4life

Reaction score
Just curious about when disconnecting it from the battery terminals. I know you can bypass the heater by double pressing the push to start. But what happens if I accidentally remote start the vehicle?

CDNgoat

Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy for the PDF , so I,m assuming its a shorting problem on the back of the relay and not the relay its self, so as long as there is some insulation on the backside there,s should be no chance of it catching fire also i would assume that when the relay is activated and it doesn,t go above 80c as the pdf states to check it should be okay

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just curious about when disconnecting it from the battery terminals. I know you can bypass the heater by double pressing the push to start. But what happens if I accidentally remote start the vehicle?
The truck would go through the motions but the grid heater wont be working its nothing advanced just power and ground to trigger the relay so it will operate as if it was working as far as the computer knows

Combra6589

Reaction score

Thanks Jimmy for the PDF , so I,m assuming its a shorting problem on the back of the relay and not the relay its self, so as long as there is some insulation on the backside there,s should be no chance of it catching fire also i would assume that when the relay is activated and it doesn,t go above 80c as the pdf states to check it should be okay
I wish I knew how long it takes star to advise dealers what to do. Star told my dealer not to touch my truck until engineering contacts them. So bs

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
There won’t be. When parts are assigned part numbers like that, that start with letters, that means it can’t be bought by anyone, and can only be obtained by approval of STAR.

Combra6589

Reaction score
There won’t be. When parts are assigned part numbers like that, that start with letters, that means it can’t be bought by anyone, and can only be obtained by approval of STAR.
Ugh so sounds like my truck will sit till freaking February definitely will have to think about just canceling it. Non stop issues with it being delayed then damaged now this .

wolfpack

Reaction score
I just disconnected the negative terminals of both batteries until I can get a chance to read through these threads and have a good look-see at my relay in the daylight. Better safe than sorry. Even if FCA does the right thing and replaces, at cost, a torched Ram it’ll still take over 6 months to get it.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Question - is the "Cold Start Aid" test in Alfa OBD the Grid Heater Relay? Because if it is, my relay didn't get warmer than 31C.

I have a 2021, built sometime in May/June 2021 timeframe, with 300 hours on it. And the "AB" relay.
I would think so. Did you witness the relay temp rising during the test?

rfullen280

Reaction score
It clicked it didn't really rise in temperature more than about a degree Celsius

Jimmy07

Reaction score
It clicked it didn't really rise in temperature more than about a degree Celsius
I believe AlfaOBD runs tests for 10 seconds on pretty much everything. I’m not sure what wiTECH does, but it’s reference to “9 test sequences” probably means keep activating the relay over and over again. Probably to mimic the short that could happen across the bus bars while just parked, and why they warn to not be around flammables.

steverud0121

Reaction score
you would think AB would be the new part number you would think it ist AA then AB then AC ect? But funny how that part number kinda breaks out CSMNY761AA. Maybe "Customer" , "Service" "Mopar" "Number" The Recall Number "Y76". 1AA is the Relay ending model#

wolfpack

Reaction score
I just cant imagine why any electrical engineer would design a device that passes 250 amps would leave the metal contacts open to the air on the back side.

We wouldn’t.

But don’t underestimate the manufacturing process to skip a step and then have some program manager just yell “ship it!” because otherwise his Excel status spreadsheet will get all messed up.

Very surprising to see this from the Germans, though. Usually they are pretty tight.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
We wouldn’t.

But don’t underestimate the manufacturing process to skip a step and then have some program manager just yell “ship it!” because otherwise his Excel status spreadsheet will get all messed up.

Very surprising to see this from the Germans, though. Usually they are pretty tight.
Yes goodentight! Lol

rfullen280

Reaction score
I believe AlfaOBD runs tests for 10 seconds on pretty much everything. I’m not sure what wiTECH does, but it’s reference to “9 test sequences” probably means keep activating the relay over and over again. Probably to mimic the short that could happen across the bus bars while just parked, and why they warn to not be around flammables.
Well, it's not called the Grid Heater Test in AlfaOBD either, these are the options under Engine, Cummins,

"Cold Start Aid Driver 1 Output"

I emailed Alexey, and he is pretty sure that the menu item I listed above is the Grid Heater Relay test.

Or

PTC Heater 1
PTC Heater 2
PTC Heater 3

(I can tell you the PTC ones make a "click" in the PDC on the drivers side)

Now, further up the Thread, the original failing relay with the lack of Sealant on the back was the one ending in AA, the new version ends in AB, but there still seems to be some concerns with it's internal heating. If it's a solid state device, then the silicon itself may have a manufacturing defect.

The part number beginning in C something... according to Jimmy07 is the part that STAR will send out, if an AB relay fails the "Heat Check".

So, read the full TSB procedure, and go look at your relay. Worst case, disconnect it for now.... in my case, mine is an AB variant, and it's not getting hot, so I'm leaving it. I've got 13,000 miles on a 2021 RAM built on 060213 (so, 1300 hrs, 2nd of June 2021).

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Well, it's not called the Grid Heater Test in AlfaOBD either, these are the options under Engine, Cummins,

"Cold Start Aid Driver 1 Output"

I emailed Alexey, and he is pretty sure that the menu item I listed above is the Grid Heater Relay test.

Or

PTC Heater 1
PTC Heater 2
PTC Heater 3

(I can tell you the PTC ones make a "click" in the PDC on the drivers side)

Now, further up the Thread, the original failing relay with the lack of Sealant on the back was the one ending in AA, the new version ends in AB, but there still seems to be some concerns with it's internal heating. If it's a solid state device, then the silicon itself may have a manufacturing defect.

The part number beginning in C something... according to Jimmy07 is the part that STAR will send out, if an AB relay fails the "Heat Check".

So, read the full TSB procedure, and go look at your relay. Worst case, disconnect it for now.... in my case, mine is an AB variant, and it's not getting hot, so I'm leaving it. I've got 13,000 miles on a 2021 RAM built on 060213 (so, 1300 hrs, 2nd of June 2021).
PTC heater 1,2,&3 are the three relays in the aux PDC that control the cabin heater.

rfullen280

Reaction score
PTC heater 1,2,&3 are the three relays in the aux PDC that control the cabin heater.
Thanks Jimmy07! That makes more sense.

So, yes, I can confirm, tested my Grid Heater (Cold Start Aid) in my driveway, with an infrared thermo... and ... no defect. Whew.

Users who are viewing this thread