Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Stop Sale on certain diesels incoming (intake air heater relay). - Recall Y76 REFRESHED OCT 2021

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Just pulled mine to look. Here’s what I’ve got. Truck was built 4-21.

Now the question is…do I just leave this thing unhooked until further notice?

Attachments

• E1568CC7-785D-4AC7-9120-9128DE02A4DD.jpeg
    E1568CC7-785D-4AC7-9120-9128DE02A4DD.jpeg
    456.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 466943F7-0F93-4A8C-9C50-D3F2219124AB.jpeg
    466943F7-0F93-4A8C-9C50-D3F2219124AB.jpeg
    424.2 KB · Views: 49

rfullen280

Reaction score
Just pulled mine to look. Here’s what I’ve got. Truck was built 4-21.

Now the question is…do I just leave this thing unhooked until further notice?
So the deal is if you have the AA revision it just gets sealed on the back with RTV.

And then your sent on your way.

Call spelled out in the document listed under the Google drive up above somewhere in the thread

toyboy1980

Reaction score
So the deal is if you have the AA revision it just gets sealed on the back with RTV.

And then your sent on your way.

Call spelled out in the document listed under the Google drive up above somewhere in the thread
Gotcha. I mean, do I just seal it up with RTV myself, or let a dealer do it?

Nd79

Reaction score
I have an appointment to have mine in for the recall in a little over a week.

I would think that if some dealers are showing that the relay is out of stock, they would at least be able to test the one in the truck to know if it needs replacing or not.

That said, this all has me wondering if it is at all possible to retrofit to the old style relay that worked just fine. Something tells me the signal wires to activate the relay are much smaller on the new relays though, and not built to activate an older style relay.

rfullen280

Reaction score

I would think that if some dealers are showing that the relay is out of stock, they would at least be able to test the one in the truck to know if it needs replacing or not.

That said, this all has me wondering if it is at all possible to retrofit to the old style relay that worked just fine. Something tells me the signal wires to activate the relay are much smaller on the new relays though, and not built to activate an older style relay.
Yes scroll up through this thread and you will see the inspection criteria. Of course they are out of stock because they cannot order the replacement part until they have tested or inspected the one in the vehicle. It is all spelled out in that document link above. I would really like it but I'm on my phone and it's complicated

cycling4life

Reaction score
anyone has the steps to properly disconnect the relay without throwing codes? Pics would be nice too

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
For anyone so inclined, here's the part number for the relay solenoid in my 2020 truck:

68393978AB

You would need the nuts (6035723) and make or replace the battery cable to the relay.

Still looking for the battery cable PN.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, my thought was just that by disconnecting the relay we are invalidating the engine hours parameter in the recall instructions as it relates to hours on the relay.

Also it was said in an earlier post that the waiting for the preheat portion of the relay/grid heater usage is a small percentage of the time it is working. Supposedly it cycles on and off as you are driving as long as ambient air temp is below a certain level.

No, once the engine is up to temp, the grid heater won't turn on.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

The old relay has what appears to be the same plug. The battery cable (relay lug end) is different. The cable (lug) to the heater grid appears to be the same.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
anyone has the steps to properly disconnect the relay without throwing codes? Pics would be nice too

Will_T

Reaction score
There is info about that in this thread and in the other on the same subject. I am about to do mine. As I understand it, just remove and tape up the wire from the relay at the battery. Supposedly it does not throw any codes. Someone posted yesterday that he has driven many miles with it disconnected and all is good so far.

Nd79

Reaction score
Yes scroll up through this thread and you will see the inspection criteria. Of course they are out of stock because they cannot order the replacement part until they have tested or inspected the one in the vehicle. It is all spelled out in that document link above. I would really like it but I'm on my phone and it's complicated
Oh my dealer says the parts are in stock and I'm scheduled to go in. I just meant for those that are saying their dealers are having them wait to perform this recall that doesn't make sense to me, even if they don't have parts on stock if that makes sense. Just trying to make a suggestion to help others.

I read through the document link before posting.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
If something should go wrong nobody will back your six....Ram and the insurance company would love to blame you and not pay for a crispy critter Ram.
Yeah agreed. I unhooked it for now, and made an appointment for next week.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
There is info about that in this thread and in the other on the same subject. I am about to do mine. As I understand it, just remove and tape up the wire from the relay at the battery. Supposedly it does not throw any codes. Someone posted yesterday that he has driven many miles with it disconnected and all is good so far.
Exactly what I did. I have an appointment next week, but I’m not taking any chances until then. I just wrapped up the connector (cut the finger off a nitrile glove), and zip tied it to the other cable so it doesn’t flop around. I’ll undo that right before I take it in to the appointment.

Attachments

• C7BE1BD1-8B8F-4855-9BA9-2914B052289C.jpeg
    C7BE1BD1-8B8F-4855-9BA9-2914B052289C.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 1761D26E-3313-48E3-99AB-1364F5D8CA69.jpeg
    1761D26E-3313-48E3-99AB-1364F5D8CA69.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 43

wolfpack

Reaction score
My relay is now disconnected at both terminals but the small connector is plugged in. I removed the cable to the passenger side battery positive terminal and stored it in the truck cab. The output wire us fastened to the harness with a zip tie so it won’t get caught up in anything else while driving.
Truck starts fine with a double press of the start button. I’m in North Carolina. Winters are mild here for the most part.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Is the relay actually defective or is the concern that the exposed relay terminals will short out on the frame or mounting surface? Mine has yellow tape applied to the back and was built on February 28, 2021. The earlier recall consisted of applying RTV over the exposed terminals. Either tape or the application of the RTV leads me to suspect that an exposed terminal on the back of the relay might contact the frame. I took mine out the other day but really didn't take note of the mounting surface.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Is the relay actually defective or is the concern that the exposed relay terminals will short out on the frame or mounting surface? Mine has yellow tape applied to the back and was built on February 28, 2021. The earlier recall consisted of applying RTV over the exposed terminals. Either tape or the application of the RTV leads me to suspect that an exposed terminal on the back of the relay might contact the frame. I took mine out the other day but really didn't take note of the mounting surface.
Yes.

If you guys would read the actual tech document from Chrysler you noticed that there are two versions of the relay and they have two different problems.

Both problems can lead to the same fiery conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread