Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 2500 Diesel Towing Issues (with Hensley)

wywypi

Reaction score
Just an outsider looking in, sound like the trailer is heavy in the rear.
Right, scale would tell me a bit more but still the scale wouldn't explain why the F-150 handled it better

JohnWedell

Reaction score
I would call Hensley and talk to them they can probably help you. The problem may be in the 6 inch drop-down hitch that might be negating the Hensleys sway control.

Firebird

Reaction score
This is sure a puzzling situation. In all of the various and different types of trailers I have towed, with and without WDH, I've never experienced anything like this before.

DammitDave

Reaction score
When you took the hitch from the 1/2 ton did you lower the ball height for the taller 3/4 ton?

wywypi

Reaction score
I would call Hensley and talk to them they can probably help you. The problem may be in the 6 inch drop-down hitch that might be negating the Hensleys sway control.
Yeah, that's a good idea. Not sure what they can do but it's worth a shot

wywypi

Reaction score
This is sure a puzzling situation. In all of the various and different types of trailers I have towed, with and without WDH, I've never experienced anything like this before.
Yeah, I feel like going from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 I should see at least some improvements.

wywypi

Reaction score
When you took the hitch from the 1/2 ton did you lower the ball height for the taller 3/4 ton?
Yeah, on my F-150 I had a 2 inch drop stinger. On the RAM 2500 I have the 6-inch drop (after talking with Hensley and giving them my measurements). The 6 inch levels it out pretty well.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the WirelessAir kit. The WirelessOne just has one line.

Well, if the bags are tied together with a single line, and looking at the install docs it appears they are, I would ditch that and separate them. Air will transfer bag-bag in turns, etc. and IMHO exacerbate any other condition causing sway.

wywypi

Reaction score
Well, if the bags are tied together with a single line, and looking at the install docs it appears they are, I would ditch that and separate them. Air will transfer bag-bag in turns, etc. and IMHO exacerbate any other condition causing sway.
I can verify how much PSI is in each bag. The dual solution was much more expensive at the time and some family has the same one as me and they haven't had any issues. But I agree in that I should check if the bags are both at the same level. I will check this as soon as I can. Thanks

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I can verify how much PSI is in each bag. The dual solution was much more expensive at the time and some family has the same one as me and they haven't had any issues. But I agree in that I should check if the bags are both at the same level. I will check this as soon as I can. Thanks
This won't help. Bangs will be at the same level because they're tied together on the same line. The bags would be squished while driving (especially in turns), when weight shifts right or left and air transfers between the airbags.

wywypi

Reaction score
This won't help. Bangs will be at the same level because they're tied together on the same line. The bags would be squished while driving (especially in turns), when weight shifts right or left and air transfers between the airbags.
So should I just remove the bags? I'd be surprised if this was the issue though. I'd think more people would be reporting similar problems

MEGA HO

Reaction score
So should I just remove the bags? I'd be surprised if this was the issue though. I'd think more people would be reporting similar problems
This bag setup is more of an issue when hauling heavy (a slide in truck camper for example), it may or may not be your problem.
You don't need to remove the bags to see if they're a problem (or a part of a problem), just air then down completely and see if it helps. If it does then your system will need to be upgraded

wywypi

Reaction score
This bag setup is more of an issue when hauling heavy (a slide in truck camper for example), it may or may not be your problem.
You don't need to remove the bags to see if they're a problem (or a part of a problem), just air then down completely and see if it helps. If it does then your system will need to be upgraded
Ok, I'll keep them at the min (5psi) on my way home and see if it helps at all. I usually kept them at 35 psi and tried them all the way up to 60 psi.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Try all the way down to zero. It's not like your truck is gonna break down, at worst is the rear end will be sagging.

wywypi

Reaction score
OK, so I figured out what the issue was (family member pointed it out to me). So the Hensley has two brackets that go on the frame that have the sway bars and struts attached to it. These brackets are attached to the frame with a couple of bolts and U brackets. So my right side bracket had the bolts sheered off and that strut was incredibly loose (the whole thing moved and only the U brackets where holding it on). After setting the bracket back, bolting it back down and adjusting my struts (tightening them) its night and day now. No sway at all, was perfect. Sorry for the confusion. Its not something I immediately noticed since it was kind of hidden by the cover on my propane tanks. Thank you all for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread