Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 2500 Diesel Towing Issues (with Hensley)

wywypi

Reaction score
It definitely should. The advice to hit the scales is a great idea, then you can dial it in and never look back. I used to pull a 30’ enclosed car hauler with a 1946 Cadillac in it, with my Mega Cab. I did not have a WDH, and the truck never seemed to care. Zero stability issues. This is definitely solvable, just have to check all angles
I agree, I guess the scale would be the next thing I try aside from tire pressure. Maybe my Hensley isn't set up right even though I did talk to Hensley to get an idea of what hitch I should be using and I swap that out and everything looks level. Maybe it's something else on the hensley? I agree about there's an angle here I just don't know which one it is or really where to start.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I agree, I guess the scale would be the next thing I try aside from tire pressure. Maybe my Hensley isn't set up right even though I did talk to Hensley to get an idea of what hitch I should be using and I swap that out and everything looks level. Maybe it's something else on the hensley? I agree about there's an angle here I just don't know which one it is or really where to start.
I would avoid talking to the hitch manufacturer they just try to sell you more crap you dont need in my experience

Kamper

Reaction score
I would look at the trailer maybe something is wrong with the back axels.

I don’t know how your hitch works but I hooked up my weight distribution hitch chain holders on trailer uneven and my trailer towed like crud, evened them out and it was great

wywypi

Reaction score
I would avoid talking to the hitch manufacturer they just try to sell you more crap you dont need in my experience
True, I have family that own the Hensley and have said nothing but great things about it and it did help with my F-150 compared to the standard ball hitch with sway bars.

wywypi

Reaction score
I would look at the trailer maybe something is wrong with the back axels.

I don’t know how your hitch works but I hooked up my weight distribution hitch chain holders on trailer uneven and my trailer towed like crud, evened them out and it was great
I'll have to look at my Hensley install manual again and see if anything sticks out. Thank you

wywypi

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what the scale told me, for sure but... Would that really fix my issue? Hypothetically, same issues should of occurred on my F-150 weight wise (trailer and on tongue). I feel like the issue is some kind of configuration of my trailer, hitch, or vehicle. Less so on weight even though where the weight is distributed is important when driving.

RPS1030

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what the scale told me, for sure but... Would that really fix my issue? Hypothetically, same issues should of occurred on my F-150 weight wise (trailer and on tongue). I feel like the issue is some kind of configuration of my trailer, hitch, or vehicle. Less so on weight even though where the weight is distributed is important when driving.

More data in to help determine what might be off. Hard numbers to tell if tire pressures could go down or should go up. Or does it need more or less tension to redistribute weight.

Another vote for a test tow with a regular ball mount. I towed my lighter camper with and without the WDH. It wasn’t “needed” except that the ball mount did get deeper gouges than I ever have with the flatbed buggy hauler.

Another factor is the ****ty stock tires. My camper towed fantastic behind the Power Wagon with 37s, King shocks, slightly inflated airbags and a low tension WDH. Trading into a stock 2500 diesel, and it was less enjoyable. Better tires helped feel stable.

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
More data in to help determine what might be off. Hard numbers to tell if tire pressures could go down or should go up. Or does it need more or less tension to redistribute weight.

Another vote for a test tow with a regular ball mount. I towed my lighter camper with and without the WDH. It wasn’t “needed” except that the ball mount did get deeper gouges than I ever have with the flatbed buggy hauler.

Another factor is the ****ty stock tires. My camper towed fantastic behind the Power Wagon with 37s, King shocks, slightly inflated airbags and a low tension WDH. Trading into a stock 2500 diesel, and it was less enjoyable. Better tires helped feel stable.

What tires did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MEGA HO

Reaction score
F-150 has rear leaf springs, RAM 2500 could all around that's the only difference between the two that could have something to do with your issue.
It's already been suggested by many but your best starting point is scales. Try to find time before your camping trip so you have everything figured out and have an enjoyable towing experience rather than being frustrated the whole way.
I didn't tow heavy with my truck yet but I did drop my tires pressure down to 60 front and 55 rear I believe, made a huge difference in a ride quality (truck was delivered with 80psi in all 4 and it was like riding on bricks).

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Attached is the pressure vs load guide. Even if your tires aren't FS you could still use it to get ballpark pressures.

Attachments

• Firestone-TBR-Load-And-Inflation-Tables-08-07-2018.pdf
    748.9 KB · Views: 22

Gswain

Reaction score
If you are only getting 2" of squat with the weight on the ball, I'm wondering if you are under weighted on your tongue weight. Especially with the long wheelbase and cummins up front sway shouldn't be an issue. I tow a 25' outdoors rv with about 900 lbs on the ball, and it squats the rear about 4 inches if just on the factory springs. Even with no wdh or airbags, it's stable as can be at 80 mph.

wywypi

Reaction score
F-150 has rear leaf springs, RAM 2500 could all around that's the only difference between the two that could have something to do with your issue.
It's already been suggested by many but your best starting point is scales. Try to find time before your camping trip so you have everything figured out and have an enjoyable towing experience rather than being frustrated the whole way.
I didn't tow heavy with my truck yet but I did drop my tires pressure down to 60 front and 55 rear I believe, made a huge difference in a ride quality (truck was delivered with 80psi in all 4 and it was like riding on bricks).
Yeah, maybe theres a closer location where I can take the camper to check the scales. Thanks

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you are only getting 2" of squat with the weight on the ball, I'm wondering if you are under weighted on your tongue weight. Especially with the long wheelbase and cummins up front sway shouldn't be an issue. I tow a 25' outdoors rv with about 900 lbs on the ball, and it squats the rear about 4 inches if just on the factory springs. Even with no wdh or airbags, it's stable as can be at 80 mph.
There is no way it squats that much you would be on the bump stops….. look at my above picture with 1625lbs tongue weight it only brought it level which was 2” drop on the rear confirmed with a measuring tape

Gswain

Reaction score
There is no way it squats that much you would be on the bump stops….. look at my above picture with 1625lbs tongue weight it only brought it level which was 2” drop on the rear confirmed with a measuring tape
I'm specifically referring to the ball height, I'd guess the rear probably dropped 2 1/2 at the wheel well and the front came up some, it's on a Carli 2.5 setup. Also could have been closer to 3 inches, I wasn't measuring. Now with the bags it's a non issue.

wywypi

Reaction score
So took the camper out after adjusting the tire pressure. For the truck, 60 front 70 back. The trailer, 70. Also added more air in my air bags, going to 60 psi. I then tried to not tighten up my Hensley sway bars much at all...

Was a 4 hour trip. I had to stop pretty quickly given we were bouncing around a lot. So tightened the sway bars. Still had some sway so adjusted the air bags (35 psi). Had to stop again and tighten the bars up.... So all in all it didn't really help. Just was constantly pulled side to side. No idea how my F-150 handled sway better given same trailer load and configuration.

DammitDave

Reaction score
Just an outsider looking in, sound like the trailer is heavy in the rear.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So took the camper out after adjusting the tire pressure. For the truck, 60 front 70 back. The trailer, 70. Also added more air in my air bags, going to 60 psi. I then tried to not tighten up my Hensley sway bars much at all...

Was a 4 hour trip. I had to stop pretty quickly given we were bouncing around a lot. So tightened the sway bars. Still had some sway so adjusted the air bags (35 psi). Had to stop again and tighten the bars up.... So all in all it didn't really help. Just was constantly pulled side to side. No idea how my F-150 handled sway better given same trailer load and configuration.

You don't have the bags plumbed together by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread