Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 squeal at start up / Chirping Noise - merged threads

KevoTheFord

Reaction score
How far away is the drive-thru...The noise should stop after she warms up. Maybe you have something else wrong.
it is definitely taking a lot longer to warm up the colder the mornings get. Normally takes a good 10-15 minutes for the sound to go away, my drive through is about 2.5 km (1.6 miles) away so definitely not fully warm by the time I arrive. I'm sure in a warmer climate the chirping/squeaking isn't quite as bad as it goes away fast. But here it is more embarrassing and annoying than those Honda Civics with "performance" exhausts.

because it was only 5 degrees Celsius this morning I used the remote starter this morning (first time using it at home) and came out after a few minutes and the chirping echos so much in our driveway with the geometry of the garage door and front porch we have. My wife is hearing impaired and there are some frequencies she can't hear and others that are actually painful, we are finding the colder the weather gets the more the chirping sound being made is actually becoming painful for her.

I have had it to 3 dealers now and they all say it is normal despite being louder than their trucks on site. I am taking it to a performance exhaust place near me to see if they can source the issue and come up with a fix. Just sucks having to get things fixed on my own rather than Ram actually dealing with issues on their vehicles. I had to fix the wireless charger (now works perfectly), steering column is making grinding noises that Ram won't fix and then this chirping. Wish they would stand behind their products and actually resolve issues rather than sweeping them under the rug.

MAKwagon

Reaction score
My 2019 made a terrible chirping / squeeling sound until I got under the truck with a rubber mallet and started banging on the exhaust. Just past the the exhaust manifold there is two catalytic converters on the passenger side. When banging and pushing on them I heard the noise I heard when starting up the truck. Ram welded a rod to both of the converters I’m guessing to keep them a bit more stable. Well I grabbed the trusty sawsall and cut that rod in half, after the cut was made half that rod fell on my chest!! Looking on the side that was “welded” to the other converter I saw the tiniest spot weld I’ve seen. I’m assuming that the spot weld broke loose and that what was causing the noise because I have not heard that noise sense I cut the rod!! Hope this helps everyone!!
Im going to have a look under my 21 PW after work in a couple hours, see if I see this 'brace'. If it cured your noise I think its a reasonable fix that a lot of us can handle, realistically dont need a sawzall either, hacksaw, elbow grease and some patience! Did you happen to notice any rub marks where the 'brace' had failed? or perhaps the 'brace' is putting unnecessary pressure on a joint cause a leak or a rub in the joint that goes away after thermal expansion?

I'll report back when the sun goes back down o_O

MAKwagon

Reaction score
I found the brace on the cats and mine seems really solid pulling on it by hand and moving the exhaust I couldn't hear any chirps or squeaks. So I started the truck while I was underneath it in the parking lot at work and it was so loud it was hard to tell where the noise was coming from so maybe tracing it from the outside after starting it would be easier in my case. It was 0 degrees celsius ( 32 F), and my truck has 10,000 km (6,200 miles). The chirp is obvious still and directly associated with the RPMs of the engine but goes away after a time once warmed up like everyone else. I'll keep working on it, and post my progress! I wonder if anyone has done a full exhaust yet; headers, cats, mufflers, the whole deal. YouTube and exhaust forum here I come.

rass1313

Reaction score
The same issue exists on my 2500, since I bought it new. I have had it in the dealer twice and they couldn't find anything. Has anyone had luck with the converter rods mentioned above?

troverman

Reaction score
My '22 RAM 2500 does it too, has done it since it was brand new. The construction company that rents part of our facility has a '20 RAM 2500 6.4L and their truck does it too. Probably nothing that can be reasonably done to cure it. Oh well.

Dingo

Reaction score
My '22 PW was making the chirping when I picked it up. It sounded like a slipping belt or something. Sales guy told it was normal and would go away. I'm at 2000 miles and no change. So I search and find this thread. Ram should be embarrassed (I sure as heck am every time I start this thing). Given that literally no other vehicle on the road makes this noise at start, this cannot be called "normal." If Ram wants to disclose it as a known and acceptable (to them) flaw, then it would be more honest. I guarantee nobody designed these trucks to have an annoying chirp for the first two minutes ever time the truck starts.

If I bought this thing as a work truck or I took on job sites, then it would be less of an issue. But I bought the PW to one-up all those annoying Raptor owners but now I'm embarrassed to start the thing if people are around. This has obviously been an issue for years, and apparently they arent willing to make the slightest effort to fix it. Whether or not it bothers you personally, it isn't a good look for the brand. I've had zero people tell me that my truck sounds good but basically all my friends and family have asked me "what's that noise?" I tell them it's the reassuring sound of "Ram quality craftsmanship." They laugh and I cry (on the inside).

troverman

Reaction score
My '22 PW was making the chirping when I picked it up. It sounded like a slipping belt or something. Sales guy told it was normal and would go away. I'm at 2000 miles and no change. So I search and find this thread. Ram should be embarrassed (I sure as heck am every time I start this thing). Given that literally no other vehicle on the road makes this noise at start, this cannot be called "normal." If Ram wants to disclose it as a known and acceptable (to them) flaw, then it would be more honest. I guarantee nobody designed these trucks to have an annoying chirp for the first two minutes ever time the truck starts.

If I bought this thing as a work truck or I took on job sites, then it would be less of an issue. But I bought the PW to one-up all those annoying Raptor owners but now I'm embarrassed to start the thing if people are around. This has obviously been an issue for years, and apparently they arent willing to make the slightest effort to fix it. Whether or not it bothers you personally, it isn't a good look for the brand. I've had zero people tell me that my truck sounds good but basically all my friends and family have asked me "what's that noise?" I tell them it's the reassuring sound of "Ram quality craftsmanship." They laugh and I cry (on the inside).

I understand where you are coming from. My 2012 Ford F-250 with a gas 6.2L V8 made a sharp rattling sound each time it was started after sitting for a couple of hours. Clearly, the problem was the lifters being starved for oil for a second or two at startup. Ford would do nothing about it. It was embarrassing being a new truck. Many other 6.2L Fords have this issue as well. I find this Hemi sound to be less embarrassing than the sharp rattle from the Ford, but neither should occur. I do believe it has to do with the exhaust and not the engine, because once the engine is fully warm, the sound goes away. Overall, this engine sounds good.

On another note, I love the PowerWagon - but be careful comparing it to a Raptor. The Raptor has larger tires, more power and torque, a nicer transfer case, and a much nicer suspension. It does sound like garbage and certainly is not as "heavy duty." I owned a 2018 Raptor briefly - but I needed something more heavy duty.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
As I posted somewhere earlier in this thread.
The noise is coming from the merger pipe after the cats. It where they have forced the 2 round pipes into 2 ovals to fit into the single output pipe. Once the metal heats up and expands, the sound goes away.

My muffler guy looked at it and figure it out. But not sure there is a way to make a new "Y" pipe to replace it due to the proximity of the two input pipes to each other.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
As I posted somewhere earlier in this thread.
The noise is coming from the merger pipe after the cats. It where they have forced the 2 round pipes into 2 ovals to fit into the single output pipe. Once the metal heats up and expands, the sound goes away.

My muffler guy looked at it and figure it out. But not sure there is a way to make a new "Y" pipe to replace it due to the proximity of the two input pipes to each other.
I have theorized that if you Drill a bunch of holes in the Y, you wouldn’t hear it anymore.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
On another note, I love the PowerWagon - but be careful comparing it to a Raptor. The Raptor has larger tires, more power and torque, a nicer transfer case, and a much nicer suspension. It does sound like garbage and certainly is not as "heavy duty." I owned a 2018 Raptor briefly - but I needed something more heavy duty.
Yep, my 2011 S-Crew was a lot more fun to drive and wheel than this PW but was out of warranty for three years after the seven was over …at 52k and garage kept V8, so still worth a bank. The plan was to get a new Raptor with extended and trade in with a couple of years left and always have a fresh one, but that six cylinder put the squash on the idea.
Everything I looked at and drove was going to be a huge step down until the PW…more like a step sideways into something else but just as bad a$$. The TRX and all, if it had a N/A motor?…deal, but nope. Not a fan of forced induction, any kind.

Yep..no comparison because so different.

I hear some squeaks and maybe a chirp in the garage on cold start up…meh, it’s under warranty. The strangest noise it makes are the brakes groaning when cold and backing up, it goes away quickly too so meh again.

Hearhear

Reaction score
Ok I’ll be the misfit here but I have a rare 2021 Jeep Wrangler 392 with the 6.4L Hemi and it makes a horrendously loud chirping noise at startup. I have a small garage so I really hear it loud and clear. Sound goes away when it warms up. This Jeep is beyond cool, really fast, but that chirp is so annoying. I was so worried it’s bad lobes or lifters or the engine is going to blow up. I feel better reading this forum, I guess!

troverman

Reaction score
Ok I’ll be the misfit here but I have a rare 2021 Jeep Wrangler 392 with the 6.4L Hemi and it makes a horrendously loud chirping noise at startup. I have a small garage so I really hear it loud and clear. Sound goes away when it warms up. This Jeep is beyond cool, really fast, but that chirp is so annoying. I was so worried it’s bad lobes or lifters or the engine is going to blow up. I feel better reading this forum, I guess!

Post a picture of that awesome Jeep! Underhood shot!

762fmj

Reaction score
I know they're pricey, but no one has a set of ARH long tubes that can say if the chirp went away after install?

whitexc

Reaction score
That is one bad a$$ jeep. Nice. What was the sticker on that ride?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

chrisl4726

Reaction score
Hello, just got my 22’ Ram laramie 6.4 hemi and this problem still exists interesting that I feel like to some of us it starts later on unless we didn’t notice. I feel like mine started around 400 miles. I joined this forum for this very reason. Will take it in for maintenance at the dealer and inquire about it as well. Any updates I will post on here.

Tater86

Reaction score
So I just ordered a 23 6.4 and found this thread after the fact. Is the chirping noise really a major concern and prevent the vehicle from lasting 20+ years and 200K miles? Or should I scrap my order and jump to a 2024 Chevy they just announced :oops:

kevin588127

Reaction score
So I just ordered a 23 6.4 and found this thread after the fact. Is the chirping noise really a major concern and prevent the vehicle from lasting 20+ years and 200K miles? Or should I scrap my order and jump to a 2024 Chevy they just announced :oops:
I knew about the squeal before ordering. Still no idea what it is but I think it is something to do with the exhaust. It is annoying but you only hear it outside of the truck and it seems to go away when warmed up. I have no idea what the 24 chevys will bring but their track record in the last decade isn't great. Hoping a squeaky exhaust is the biggest problem I face.

Users who are viewing this thread