Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 squeal at start up / Chirping Noise - merged threads

ChrisCox73

Reaction score
I think it is the exhaust I thought it was just mine I'm taking to dealer on Friday for first oilchange I'm going to ask either way I have a borla exhaust in transit
I installed the Borla cat back and absolutely love it. Also installed S&B cold air...really woke up the truck

ChrisCox73

Reaction score
How do you like that Borla by the way, I’m thinking of getting that one, how’s the drone?
Absolutely love mine and zero drone...I'm like how does Borla do it but they do. Enjoy the exhaust...also installed S&B cold air kit

ChrisCox73

Reaction score
So, I am a dealer tech trying to investigate this noise and I want to come on here and save my fellow advisors, techs and dealer personnel from the unfair judgment you are passing on them. Yes, this is happening on all of our lot cars, there is no fix proposed by FCA yet, nor any indication if they have an open case via TSB. Sometimes the noise doesn't do it, it definitely seems to be ambient temperature related. This is an issue for engineering, you are expecting something from a dealership they cannot give. We don't design and build them, we maintain and repair them. The dealership isn't blowing you off, the advisor isn't blowing you off, we just have no fix for this at this point. We understand it is annoying and you want a resolution but you are asking the wrong people. You need to contact FCA. It currently looks like we are facing a design issue, dealers do no design and redesign, they do not have that authority or ability. So if the fix is to install a redesigned part, we need to get a redesigned part first to install. It would be nice if we were treated like humans and with respect and not accused of blowing you off simply because we have no ability to provide a resolution yet. It certainly makes me less motivated to do the research that led me here in an attempt to satisfy a customer. Yes, I joined just to say that.
Thank you DT for your hard work... It is unfair to throw this on you guys. I will say we spend hard earned money on these beasts and expect everything to be perfect... Don't forget even billion dollar aircraft have issues...I enjoy my truck...my 2019 5.7 new body style 1500 had this sound also...its a truck not a ferrari.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Truth.

My oldest son, a former Audi Master Tech and team lead at Audi, and then after a lateral move, whatever they call that at Mercedes, just moved into an SA role, trying to position himself for Service Manager in a few years. Hopefully he can be supportive of the customers without the dealer coming down on him. I know he'll be a great SA if they let him.

Someone must have boiled this old thread to the top.

Just wanted to add that my oldest has been a Service Manager at a large VW dealership in TX for about a year now.

My youngest has bounced from Audi to a CDJR dealership. Based on what I've heard from him, dealers could do a better job of retention if their SA's were more supportive of the techs. Seems if they have a personal issue with someone, they starve them of work.

roadkingjim

Reaction score
My brand new 2022 Bighorn makes the same noise. The noise is coming from the pipe in front of the cat so changing the exhaust from the rear of the cat to the tail pipe won't help.
I complained also with no avail! I'm an ASE certified tech with 50 years experience so I'm not the new kid on the block. There is no TSB about this and no one will loose their life from it so it's going to be a long wait for a fix. If there is a fix it will be expensive.

shotgun7486

Reaction score
Yeah I’m absolutely pissed off about the same squealing/chirping issue as mentioned numerous times before in this thread. I have a 2021 Ram Powergaon level 3 trim with about 30k miles. Paid around $74k out the door used for this truck with ridiculous truck prices these days. I absolutely cannot stand thinking that I just spent that kind of money to have to deal with a truck that sounds like a piece of **** clunker driving down the road.

The noise is loudest on a cold start when I first start driving in the morning and makes a horrible, very loud, screeching sound while driving through the neighborhood. I could live with it if I knew it went away, however, the noise only gets a little quieter once the truck warms up. It never actually goes away. I hear it clear as day with the windows open every time I drive by a barrier or car on the road. When I step on the gas a fair amount I really hear it, and under heavy load, like when I’m towing, I constantly have to listen to the god awful noise.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Dealership has blown me off by saying it’s normal and even Chrysler corporate did the exact same thing.

Would changing out the headers and putting on a Borla exhaust system solve the issue?

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Yeah I’m absolutely pissed off about the same squealing/chirping issue as mentioned numerous times before in this thread. I have a 2021 Ram Powergaon level 3 trim with about 30k miles. Paid around $74k out the door used for this truck with ridiculous truck prices these days. I absolutely cannot stand thinking that I just spent that kind of money to have to deal with a truck that sounds like a piece of **** clunker driving down the road.

The noise is loudest on a cold start when I first start driving in the morning and makes a horrible, very loud, screeching sound while driving through the neighborhood. I could live with it if I knew it went away, however, the noise only gets a little quieter once the truck warms up. It never actually goes away. I hear it clear as day with the windows open every time I drive by a barrier or car on the road. When I step on the gas a fair amount I really hear it, and under heavy load, like when I’m towing, I constantly have to listen to the god awful noise.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Dealership has blown me off by saying it’s normal and even Chrysler corporate did the exact same thing.

Would changing out the headers and putting on a Borla exhaust system solve the issue?
If it’s normal there is something wrong with mine..no weird squealing, chirping or whatever.
It used to make a thunk upon startup after sitting a week or so, with the air on…no doubt the compressor clutch engaging. That went away when I put in a Yellowtop.

whitexc

Reaction score
We are still chirping about this I see…

My ‘21 now has 19,600 on it and chirps as good as it did since day one. My dealer also went with the “this is normal” response when I inquired.

Sent from me

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If it’s normal there is something wrong with mine..no weird squealing, chirping or whatever.
It used to make a thunk upon startup after sitting a week or so, with the air on…no doubt the compressor clutch engaging. That went away when I put in a Yellowtop.

You obviously didn't pay enough.

Firebird

Reaction score
I have always been fascinated by this thread, but have never commented. I have owned a lot of Hemi trucks, and have never heard this chirping/squealing sound described. I'm assuming it's not an across the board issue for all Hemi's?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I have always been fascinated by this thread, but have never commented. I have owned a lot of Hemi trucks, and have never heard this chirping/squealing sound described. I'm assuming it's not an across the board issue for all Hemi's?
You have to roll down the windows and be listening for it to hear it. It’s not really a chirp or a squeak because nothing is wrong. It’s just a different engine sound

Firebird

Reaction score
You have to roll down the windows and be listening for it to hear it. It’s not really a chirp or a squeak because nothing is wrong. It’s just a different engine sound
Ok, I guess I'm just not in tune to it, I don't ever hear anything with the windows down either

2wheelsor4

Reaction score
I wish that was the case for me. Mine is embarrassingly loud with a cold start up and stays that way until it gets warm, I cringe as I drive away from my house. Once warm it sounds like a small exhaust leak when I give it a bit of throttle.

2wheelsor4

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need the support of other Hemi 6.4 owners. My truck developed a nasty squeal at startup around 1100 miles. A lot of owners have a similar issue and a lot of owners are told that it is "typical" of the motor and they need to deal with it. Well I'm not content with that answer. I've filed a complaint with FCA and I will be bringing my truck back to the dealer to continue to try and get this resolved. It is my belief that I paid for a truck that did not make this noise and I will not accept being forced to own a truck that does while under warranty. I have started a FB Group for Owners of 6.4 Hemis that make these noises in an attempt to get FCA's attention. I hope that is we get enough members in one place, showing enough issues with the engine that FCA will come up with a solution. Please support me by joining and posting a video of your truck making noise. https://www.facebook.com/groups/362174843233452/

Thank you!

Rebel Wes

Reaction score
I have a 2023 2500 Rebel with the 6.4 and 2600mi on it does the same as yours. it's awful, sounds like a old junk! Dealer said it's normal and cannot do anything about it. It sounds like it's coming from the exhaust like two pipes are shaking and squealing until it warms up.

bansheexyz

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been asked already, but are there any surefire aftermarket solutions to this problem? It's pretty clear that Ram doesn't give a crap about "annoying noises". Personally I also think it's embarassing for an exhaust system to sound like a worn serpentine belt. And it's a diagnostics problem too. Squeaks and creaks are supposed to alert us that something is wrong. You normalize that and it's not a warning sign anymore.

bansheexyz

Reaction score
I'll also add that I am in the market for a big truck and I would've bought the truck already if not for this issue. I suspect that ignoring this has cost Ram way more than they think. This hyper-inflated market has people scared of mystery noises as people offload their half-broken timebombs onto carmax and dealerships. Every car I've driven at carmax has had an abnormal engine noise that would cost $1000-3000 to fix after researching the issue.

I test drove two used 2022s and one brand new 2024 and they all exhibited the noise, but not the 2022 cummins. I had a relative and a salesman in the car during the 2024 drive, and both said they couldn't hear it. Had me questioning my own reality, so finding this thread felt good.

There has to be some kind of weld job or sprayable substance to make the pipe stop squeaking.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need the support of other Hemi 6.4 owners. My truck developed a nasty squeal at startup around 1100 miles. A lot of owners have a similar issue and a lot of owners are told that it is "typical" of the motor and they need to deal with it. Well I'm not content with that answer. I've filed a complaint with FCA and I will be bringing my truck back to the dealer to continue to try and get this resolved. It is my belief that I paid for a truck that did not make this noise and I will not accept being forced to own a truck that does while under warranty. I have started a FB Group for Owners of 6.4 Hemis that make these noises in an attempt to get FCA's attention. I hope that is we get enough members in one place, showing enough issues with the engine that FCA will come up with a solution. Please support me by joining and posting a video of your truck making noise. https://www.facebook.com/groups/362174843233452/

Thank you!
Hi there, if you are still experiencing this and need our assistance, please send us a PM with the last eight characters of the VIN, mileage, and date of the last scheduled service appointment so we can help.

Yenori
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread