Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Particulate Filter Gauge , Is It Working

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
It continue to be amazed at how poor the service can be directly from a dealership. Neither the tech, nor the service manager / advisor saw anything wrong with that routing? Unbelievable.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess my point was, the tech probably had an oh sh*t moment when he couldn't put the cable into the standoff because it was on the wrong side of the hanger and just said F* it.

Yeah, quite possible. Either way I’m sure he got an earful.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Please let us know if you notice any negative impacts. I'm paranoid to take mine in. I figure there's no way they're going to fix something without screwing up 2 more
If everything with your DPF is functional currently, there should be no additional issues after the sensor is installed. You’re getting an additional 12 month, unlimited mileage warranty on the DPF in the event the sensor does detect internal DPF failure, you can get the whole unit replaced under warranty. It’s likely to take each person some time to get the sensor as it’s on the same restriction as all the other recalls. One sensor every 7 days. Might as well get on the wait list. If you don’t get the sensor now, you’ll have to get it eventually if you have your truck worked on in the future. Any Future work that requires a PCM flash will result in a permanent DTC for lack of communication with the sensor since it won’t be there. The current versions of the pcm software from today onward will contain the programming for the PM sensor and module. There won’t be any backward compatibility with the software flashes.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
If everything with your DPF is functional currently, there should be no additional issues after the sensor is installed. You’re getting an additional 12 month, unlimited mileage warranty on the DPF in the event the sensor does detect internal DPF failure, you can get the whole unit replaced under warranty. It’s likely to take each person some time to get the sensor as it’s on the same restriction as all the other recalls. One sensor every 7 days. Might as well get on the wait list. If you don’t get the sensor now, you’ll have to get it eventually if you have your truck worked on in the future. Any Future work that requires a PCM flash will result in a permanent DTC for lack of communication with the sensor since it won’t be there. The current versions of the pcm software from today onward will contain the programming for the PM sensor and module. There won’t be any backward compatibility with the software flashes.
Although I didn't really want to, I contacted the dealership a few months ago and they said they would call me. Still waiting. Maybe I'll just drag my feet until the truck has another owner:)

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Although I didn't really want to, I contacted the dealership a few months ago and they said they would call me. Still waiting. Maybe I'll just drag my feet until the truck has another owner:)
It’s going to take a long time to get these recalls completed when they can only order one part every seven days. I would imagine more than a few trucks will be in the hands of new owners long before the recalls are completed.

flan

Reaction score
Yeah, quite possible. Either way I’m sure he got an earful.
How many others has he done like that? I always look after someone else monkeys with my truck and usually end up finding something wrong. That was the case with CP4.2 recall and early 19 trans valve body recall.

Reaction score
I have been told by some that the missing sensor measures soot levels passing thru the DPF like if ithe filter was damaged or has a hole in it??? Something Calif wanted who wants to ban diesels altogether.
What do you guys think?
Thanks

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been told by some that the missing sensor measures soot levels passing thru the DPF like if ithe filter was damaged or has a hole in it??? Something Calif wanted who wants to ban diesels altogether.
What do you guys think?
Thanks
The sensor measures the amount of soot exiting the DPF and SCR. It sits at the outlet of the SCR chamber. It’s looking for excessive soot in the exhaust stream. The DPF is almost 100% efficient at trapping soot so theoretically nothing but a minuscule trace amount should be getting through. If the PM sensor detects more soot than what the calibrated threshold is, it trips a code for a failed DPF (cracked internally or a breach in the pressure vessel allowing sooty exhaust to bypass the system and exit to atmosphere)

John Jensen

Reaction score
What do you guys think?
Thanks
The sensor measures the amount of soot exiting the DPF and SCR. It sits at the outlet of the SCR chamber. It’s looking for excessive soot in the exhaust stream. The DPF is almost 100% efficient at trapping soot so theoretically nothing but a minuscule trace amount should be getting through. If the PM sensor detects more soot than what the calibrated threshold is, it trips a code for a failed DPF (cracked internally or a breach in the pressure vessel allowing sooty exhaust to bypass the system and exit to atmosphere)
It does not measure soot, only NOx
Selective Catalytic Reduction\DEF Process - When NOx reaches a certain level DEF is injected into the SCR to remove NO2/NOx. The NOx levels trigger the DEF injection and also determines the quantity of DEF.

Trucks shipped without the SCR sensor are set to use a particular amount of DEF to satisfy the EPA (not California). When the sensor is finally installed the amount of DEF used should be less because the sensor will determine when and how much DEF is needed.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
It does not measure soot, only NOx
Selective Catalytic Reduction\DEF Process - When NOx reaches a certain level DEF is injected into the SCR to remove NO2/NOx. The NOx levels trigger the DEF injection and also determines the quantity of DEF.

Trucks shipped without the SCR sensor are set to use a particular amount of DEF to satisfy the EPA (not California). When the sensor is finally installed the amount of DEF used should be less because the sensor will determine when and how much DEF is needed.
Sorry John but your information is wrong.

The Y43 recall installs the PM sensor that was not available at the time 2022 (and some 2021) trucks were produced. It does nothing for NOx, nor does it have any control over DEF consumption. It is simply a watchdog sensor that sits at the back of the emissions system and checks to make sure the DPF isn’t cracked or compromised and allowing soot to exit into the atmosphere. IMG_3690.jpeg

John Jensen

Reaction score
Hmm. My recall notice says it's a PM sensor. Are you talking about the Y43 recall?
Yes, the Y43 recall. You are correct, the recall makes it sound like a DPF sensor. The truck is shipped without the sensor in the SCR. It has a sensor in the DPF. The recall installs the SCR sensor, referred to as a Particulate Matter Sensor

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the Y43 recall. You are correct, the recall makes it sound like a DPF sensor. The truck is shipped without the sensor in the SCR. It has a sensor in the DPF. The recall installs the SCR sensor, referred to as a Particulate Matter Sensor
The sensor is installed at the outlet of the SCR chamber, but does not measure NOx or have anything to do with DEF dosing or consumption. It’s there to count “particulate matter” which is soot. The only reason Ram was successful in getting CARB to sign the MOU and allow them to sell the trucks without the sensor in place was because the PM sensor had no direct influence on how the entire emissions system meets targeted PM and NOx standards. The system functions exactly as all other model year trucks do, with the exception that it doesn’t have the ability to check the emissions for excessive soot exiting. They were hedging their bets that the systems would function well enough for long enough that ram could obtain the sensors within the year or so and have them installed before any of the DPF’s started failing. That’s why when the sensors first became available again, they issued the Y43 recall to cab & chassis trucks first, knowing full well the commercial trucks would rack up mileage faster than the pickups.

Jay P

Reaction score
Prior to the recall being completed there is one sensor after the SCR, it's a NOx sensor. After the recall there are two sensors past the SCR, a particulate sensor and a NOx sensor. As others have stated the recall has nothing to do with the SCR/NOx.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Prior to the recall being completed there is one sensor after the SCR, it's a NOx sensor. After the recall there are two sensors past the SCR, a particulate sensor and a NOx sensor. As others have stated the recall has nothing to do with the SCR/NOx.
Well that makes sense. I did not know that.
I have to thank you and Barber for educating me as I was misinformed by a so called expert. I stand corrected. I was also told all regeneration and soot sensors were at the DPF, had no idea there was one at the SCR to measure any soot the DPF missed. I feel like a jerk for being so wrong. Learn something new every day. I apologize.

Ktm2smoker

Reaction score
I've had mine installed for a few thousand miles now. The system seems to Regen less and in a manner that makes sense. When I'm towing it works it's way back to zero and pretty much stays there as long as it's highway. Around town not towing it slowly goes up. Also, regens have gone from 45 minutes to 25... APPROXIMATELY. Just my observation so far. Only hiccup I saw was first weekend we pulled a 10K camper to a dirt bike event about 4 hours away, zero on the DPF meter. Started up the truck cold Sunday morning, much colder out and right out of the field we were camping in was a long steep hill and it immediately went into regen even though the meter was still set at zero. That event was also immediately after getting the recall done. It's acted normal since, no complaints.

Reaction score
Do you guys think some of the different def consumptions and /or regens are due to the reprogramming?

Users who are viewing this thread