Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened to Rich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Looks good Rich, glad you finally caught a break. It definitely gives a clean look. I hope it serves you well.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Looks good Rich, glad you finally caught a break. It definitely gives a clean look. I hope it serves you well.
Thanks , appreciate it. Went with carid on the new box. They guaranteed it would go out today and be here before we leave in 9 days, so I'm cautiously optimistic. He said if its not just call and cancel. I told him my only problem was there price was higher than jegs with that $125 s&h charge. So he went to his manager and they beat jegs with shipping and tax included, jing a ling.
Ps: on the bak flip, there is plenty of room between bak panels while traveling and fiver hitch while hooked up to house.

carlrx7

Reaction score
whats the clearance between the bak flip and the rv hooked up?

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I didn't know the exact measurement yet, I'll let yah know in 9 days after we travel. The fiver hitch was all the way down and the camper sat 6" over bed rails so a few wks ago I raised the hitch up 1 adjustment wich is about an inch for each up tick. So now the RV should be around 7" over the bed rails wich should be enough to go over the bak flip if I get in a jack knife situation. Wich honestly hasn't happened yet but if you don't plan for it then it will happen. If it stops raining this weekend ill take some measurements. Also, there was plenty of room when bak flip was in travel position ( 8" panel & 24" panel laying down flat and 3 other panels folded up). It was plenty ahead of the fiver hitch, ill also measure that as well, when it ever dries out .

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
So I took some mok measurements today when the fiver is hitched up. Next Sunday before we take off, ill take some pics of the pin box & folded up tonnue area. But for now here we go. The last post I stated that my mopar 30k fiver hitch being set all the way down to lowest setting, put my camper at 6" over bed rails so I decided to bump it up 1 tick wich is around an inch per hole up adj. So I'm currently at 6.75 -7" from camper to top of bed rails.
20200514_165629.jpg
When tonnue is folded up to last full panel and small section being flat for travel. I will have approx, 15" from front of pin plate to back most edge of tonnue cover. If, and only if I get into a jack knife position, ( which in 3 yrs I never have, yet), and If i turn so tight that the pin box goes over mx4 cover, at the lowest point at king pin to mx4 cover it will clear cover by almost 4" on level ground. As we know if your on sloping ground it would be less than 4" due to fiver lean. Also note that 4" is the minimum it would get close to cover ( unless leaning) as the further back from king pin on pin box you go , the distance will get greater between pin box and tonnue cover because of the way the pin box metal is angled to camper i- beam at over hang. A little overkill with some precision explanation.
Also note, when and if I get my tool box and it isn't damaged, it will come to within 1" from edge of mx4 cover. So it won't stick past and will never be a factor with the RV. Unless I flip the RV, then the he'll with the tool box and the mx4

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I know we talked about this before , and I said I'd respond . Well i did my first fuel fill. 46 gallons exactly. 602 miles = 13.1 mpg. Wich is exactly what the trip cluster said it was. I started off averaging a little over 15, but as I got over 500 miles on and I started putting it to it on the take off, the mpgs dropped to 13.1 quick. Only $80.00 for 46 gal, ill take that every day.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I know we talked about this before , and I said I'd respond . Well i did my first fuel fill. 46 gallons exactly. 602 miles = 13.1 mpg. Wich is exactly what the trip cluster said it was. I started off averaging a little over 15, but as I got over 500 miles on and I started putting it to it on the take off, the mpgs dropped to 13.1 quick. Only $80.00 for 46 gal, ill take that every day.

I wouldn't recommend running your tank that low (often). The fuel helps cool the in tank lift pump.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend running your tank that low (often). The fuel helps cool the in tank lift pump.
Good to know, always learning something new. What's a good amount to not go below so it cools the lift pump properly?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Good to know, always learning something new. What's a good amount to not go below so it cools the lift pump properly?

IMHO, you were probably OK. I like to leave around 5 gals or more then fill up. I'm probably overly cautious about it.

In the winter, I keep my tank topped off.

That said, there's the double edge sword with this 50 gal tank. Use too little - I don't put on a lot of miles working from home - and you could have fuel age related issues. Keep the tank 1/2 full and sweat the potential condensation issues.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
IMHO, you were probably OK. I like to leave around 5 gals or more then fill up. I'm probably overly cautious about it.

In the winter, I keep my tank topped off.

That said, there's the double edge sword with this 50 gal tank. Use too little - I don't put on a lot of miles working from home - and you could have fuel age related issues. Keep the tank 1/2 full and sweat the potential condensation issues.
As an old michigander, i know all about keeping that baby full in the winter. With us traveling, for the most part, the fuel gets burned up just as quick as it gets dumped in. Unless We stay for somewhere for a month long stay, then i always dump some additive in the tank when it's not going to get used right away.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got my mopar cc delivered today. Now when we land in Utah the first of April ill order that dreaded aux camera system and a pair of chrome hooks. My new Lund tool box is supposed to be here this Friday. So that will be cutting it close, all ready been delayed once but card has been great to work with. They started off by price matching then they cut the s&h in half when I complained about how that was ridiculous. Now that I complained about the delay, they knocked another 60 off. It will be a good deal if it gets here befoe I leave. Lol. Tomorrow I'm heading to dealership to get a big jug of def and another 30 day paper tag. S.D is real slow on the new plates. I told my sm that ill be leaving on Sunday and leaving his back yard and getting out of his hair but ill always be engrained in his mind. :) ahhhhh the price of a good deal. Works for me;)

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Well I finally got my mopar cc delivered today. Now when we land in Utah the first of April ill order that dreaded aux camera system and a pair of chrome hooks. My new Lund tool box is supposed to be here this Friday. So that will be cutting it close, all ready been delayed once but card has been great to work with. They started off by price matching then they cut the s&h in half when I complained about how that was ridiculous. Now that I complained about the delay, they knocked another 60 off. It will be a good deal if it gets here befoe I leave. Lol. Tomorrow I'm heading to dealership to get a big jug of def and another 30 day paper tag. S.D is real slow on the new plates. I told my sm that ill be leaving on Sunday and leaving his back yard and getting out of his hair but ill always be engrained in his mind. :) ahhhhh the price of a good deal. Works for me;)
Personally, I buy my def at the truck lanes. Always fresh.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Personally, I buy my def at the truck lanes. Always fresh.
Now see what you made me do, now j have to go grab a drink. Don't get me started on the truck fuel lane def boz. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, breath innnn, breath outtttt.
Just got my tracking# fer my tool box, good sign.
I did forget to mention on previous post but have mentioned before. On my new cc after the first $499 spent they give me back $100. That softens the blow a bit on the aux camera

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Now see what you made me do, now j have to go grab a drink. Don't get me started on the truck fuel lane def boz. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, breath innnn, breath outtttt.
Just got my tracking# fer my tool box, good sign.
I did forget to mention on previous post but have mentioned before. On my new cc after the first $499 spent they give me back $100. That softens the blow a bit on the aux camera
I have that effect on people sometimes. You see, I am spoiled by the new kwik star stores that are smaller but still have a dedicated truck island. Kum and go truck stops Are good too. Jugs are a PIA, in my opinion, always leak. We use to get barrels of def until it started showing up at the pumps and just so much easier to deal with. I really preferred my old non def freight liner but boss made me get into something newer, hated the small tanks and def.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I have that effect on people sometimes. You see, I am spoiled by the new kwik star stores that are smaller but still have a dedicated truck island. Kum and go truck stops Are good too. Jugs are a PIA, in my opinion, always leak. We use to get barrels of def until it started showing up at the pumps and just so much easier to deal with. I really preferred my old non def freight liner but boss made me get into something newer, hated the small tanks and def.
We also used to buy it by the barrels only Down side to that was normally the tech putting on the pump wasnt to worried about cleanliness and or contamination

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
We also used to buy it by the barrels only Down side to that was normally the tech putting on the pump wasnt to worried about cleanliness and or contamination
Our location was 20 employees
Yeah, well I was usually the one that did ours as our location didn’t use in house techs. Did my share of parking lot filter changes due to other drivers stupidy(not using anti gel additive in middle of winters). Def switch over was clean and easy as we had a drive through area of the warehouse with a separate wash bay. Facility was always spotless. Trucks were always clean as well. (Again, done by drivers usually.)

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Our location was 20 employees

Yeah, well I was usually the one that did ours as our location didn’t use in house techs. Did my share of parking lot filter changes due to other drivers stupidy(not using anti gel additive in middle of winters). Def switch over was clean and easy as we had a drive through area of the warehouse with a separate wash bay. Facility was always spotless. Trucks were always clean as well. (Again, done by drivers usually.)
Imop, when cleanliness and maintenance is left up to the drivers, ( most drivers), the equipment is better taken care of. Of coarse the driver is never happy about the extra work, but it does pay off. We offered an incentive in extra pay for them to power wash and maintain there assigned equipment. If they accepted this money, they also accepted responsibility if they skimped out and something bad happened. The insides of Cabs and beds were mandatory.

geektoad

Reaction score

I'm not trying to rile you up rich, but can you expand upon your issue with truck lane DEF? If you've mentioned it before, I must have missed it, and I'm curious.

I've had several diesels over the years, but this is only the second that required DEF. The first one was my Duramax, and I deleted it, so didn't have to worry about DEF after the first couple months.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I mean, i know guys use it, it just never will. It works just fine if it's not your personnel vehicle and it's a company truck, but i prefer to put the best quality in mine. I will never buy the stuff sitting outside in front of a gas station, not in a climate controlled environment. Def is temperature sensitive, to hot or to cold is highly not recommended. The stuff at the truck stops at the fuel isle that you actually pump into your truck, I know nothing about it ( brand, quality, if the tanks are contaminated, etc). When I was In the commercial lob , they used cheap low grade def in the barrel and I've seen the aftermath of cheap fuel and def on a regen system and the tens of thousands spent trying to fix them and never being able to figure it out. I'll stick with my mopar 2.5 gal jug for $28. You get what you put in. With my accessories, ill have 90k Into this thing. There won't be any PEAK brand for me. Now that you got the good out of me. Whatever you do, please don't bring up regen. I'll stroke out. Everybody has there own analogies and opinions and I have mine, some conversation topics I can't keep my mouth shut on
I'm not trying to rile you up rich, but can you expand upon your issue with truck lane DEF? If you've mentioned it before, I must have missed it, and I'm curious.

I've had several diesels over the years, but this is only the second that required DEF. The first one was my Duramax, and I deleted it, so didn't have to worry about DEF after the first couple months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread