Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened to Rich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I mean, i know guys use it, it just never will. It works just fine if it's not your personnel vehicle and it's a company truck, but i prefer to put the best quality in mine. I will never buy the stuff sitting outside in front of a gas station, not in a climate controlled environment. Def is temperature sensitive, to hot or to cold is highly not recommended. The stuff at the truck stops at the fuel isle that you actually pump into your truck, I know nothing about it ( brand, quality, if the tanks are contaminated, etc). When I was In the commercial lob , they used cheap low grade def in the barrel and I've seen the aftermath of cheap fuel and def on a regen system and the tens of thousands spent trying to fix them and never being able to figure it out. I'll stick with my mopar 2.5 gal jug for $28. You get what you put in. With my accessories, ill have 90k Into this thing. There won't be any PEAK brand for me. Now that you got the good out of me. Whatever you do, please don't bring up regen. I'll stroke out. Everybody has there own analogies and opinions and I have mine, some conversation topics I can't keep my mouth shut on
Rich,
I have no dog in this fight but I would like to comment.

I've always thought that DEF is DEF. If it meets the DEF specs it doesn't make any difference in brand or price.
I mentioned that once to my Service Manager. He is my friend, I respect his knowledge and he has no reason to give me a sales pitch. That said, he feels exactly like you. He was quick to espouse that there are big differences in DEF and that Mopar is the best by far.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I mean, i know guys use it, it just never will. It works just fine if it's not your personnel vehicle and it's a company truck, but i prefer to put the best quality in mine. I will never buy the stuff sitting outside in front of a gas station, not in a climate controlled environment. Def is temperature sensitive, to hot or to cold is highly not recommended. The stuff at the truck stops at the fuel isle that you actually pump into your truck, I know nothing about it ( brand, quality, if the tanks are contaminated, etc). When I was In the commercial lob , they used cheap low grade def in the barrel and I've seen the aftermath of cheap fuel and def on a regen system and the tens of thousands spent trying to fix them and never being able to figure it out. I'll stick with my mopar 2.5 gal jug for $28. You get what you put in. With my accessories, ill have 90k Into this thing. There won't be any PEAK brand for me. Now that you got the good out of me. Whatever you do, please don't bring up regen. I'll stroke out. Everybody has there own analogies and opinions and I have mine, some conversation topics I can't keep my mouth shut on

When I took delivery of my truck, they forgot to fill the DEF Tank, so I reminded them. I feel so sorry for the salesman... He had it running all down the front of his pants and leg.... Man, did I want to laugh, he reminded me of the 3 Stooges all rolled into one... LOL He was not a happy camper when he finished.. His sales manager and I were watching him from inside the showroom.

Rich, If you are buying the Jugs, make sure you get a Spout and check out the Expiration Date, some places don't rotate stock. I have seen it sitting in the Sun Outside and on the Top Shelves by the Front Window, Sun and Heat will Kill it.. I only buy at the truck stop fuel isles (Mostly the newer Loves) and it is stored mostly underground giving it a longer shelf life as well as they don't want to be held responsible in case you get bad DEF. I have used it that way from day one in my big trucks and it's cheaper. I hate DEF, It makes a mess if you spill it or get it on anything.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I know most of you already know how to read the Date Code on DEF, So for those of you that don't, here is a video that might help you get fresher DEF.

geektoad

Reaction score

Right on, thanks for humoring me. I appreciate your viewpoint!

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Rich,
I have no dog in this fight but I would like to comment.

I've always thought that DEF is DEF. If it meets the DEF specs it doesn't make any difference in brand or price.
I mentioned that once to my Service Manager. He is my friend, I respect his knowledge and he has no reason to give me a sales pitch. That said, he feels exactly like you. He was quick to espouse that there are big differences in DEF and that Mopar is the best by far.
When I took delivery of my truck, they forgot to fill the DEF Tank, so I reminded them. I feel so sorry for the salesman... He had it running all down the front of his pants and leg.... Man, did I want to laugh, he reminded me of the 3 Stooges all rolled into one... LOL He was not a happy camper when he finished.. His sales manager and I were watching him from inside the showroom.

Rich, If you are buying the Jugs, make sure you get a Spout and check out the Expiration Date, some places don't rotate stock. I have seen it sitting in the Sun Outside and on the Top Shelves by the Front Window, Sun and Heat will Kill it.. I only buy at the truck stop fuel isles (Mostly the newer Loves) and it is stored mostly underground giving it a longer shelf life as well as they don't want to be held responsible in case you get bad DEF. I have used it that way from day one in my big trucks and it's cheaper. I hate DEF, It makes a mess if you spill it or get it on anything.
I'm definitely not picking a fight, it's just my very biased opinion. That stuff will eat the concrete off of a shop floor, we always used an apron and face mask. I also have experienced at my old lob, our fuel tanks ruptured and leaked water in. Don't ask me if they cared or did anything about it , they didn't. We went through fuel filters every weak and they sold the stuff to other trucking out fits. So that's kind of what I'm saying also, you just don't know what's going on in that underground tank. I always check date and use my own funnel. There it's no perfect solution as I know they could off load a pallet of mopar and leave it in the sun for 6 hrs. There is no 100% for sure, I'm just going with my gut and process of elimination with all the horror experiences I've seen on the commercial side. Which I know doesn't equal the residential heavy duty truck, but when your spooked, your spooked

silver billet

Reaction score

So... let me guess, you got an oil well and refinery in your back yard too, just in case? :p

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
If you really want to rattle my cage, talk regen. I just have to walk away. But please don't.
On a side note. I took a trip into town without my Speedo police riding shot gun. I'm at 700 miles now. She hit the restrictor plate at 108 and rpms were 2930. Handled and put power down very well. Also used the paddle shift on full downshift to make sure it didn't go to low. I did anticipate around 117, but I guess I can live with 108. Averaged 14 mpg with putting the tq down. Also got my 30 day paper tag extension.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Do this cheap little obdll health monitor I've got plugged in doesn't really do much. You can track 8 ( of your choice) things to monitor on your truck. You can do a health scan wich reads all your vitals. What i can't figure out is how to get the info that's been scanned ( like gear ratio, clutch sensor, ecm internal temp, o2 sensor, etc). It just shows scanned or un scanned and no results. Also can't figure out how to get top speed (108) and top rev (3037) off the dash board. Any ideas or input on these cheap little readers. Or is that why there so cheap
zus nonda vehicle health monitor lite

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Do this cheap little obdll health monitor I've got plugged in doesn't really do much. You can track 8 ( of your choice) things to monitor on your truck. You can do a health scan wich reads all your vitals. What i can't figure out is how to get the info that's been scanned ( like gear ratio, clutch sensor, ecm internal temp, o2 sensor, etc). It just shows scanned or un scanned and no results. Also can't figure out how to get top speed (108) and top rev (3037) off the dash board. Any ideas or input on these cheap little readers. Or is that why there so cheap
zus nonda vehicle health monitor lite

Download the Torque app and try connecting it.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Rich = Mind. Blown.
Hahaha, yah I know, Mark it down. I knew i could count on u for being a sa. I ought to just pay some kid in the cg to figure this thing out. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread