Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grid Heater RELAY Recall (new)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend about this recall as he does not follow online stuff but did get his letter I guess. I happened to send him the info about the "jiggle test" for the GH bolt. He said he thought that the relay problem may be the reason for the grid heater bolt burning off? His reasoning was that even if the relay does not stick long enough to start a fire, it may be staying on longer than necessary at times, keeping the high current going long enough to weaken the bolt. I seem to remember that the bolt issue was a thing long before the new style relay came about? If so the two things are unrelated and a better relay will not reduce the rare issue with the bolt. Thoughts?

Grid heater bolt of death has been around a very long time. Pretty much since they put a 6.7L in a truck in 2007.5

95Ctd

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend about this recall as he does not follow online stuff but did get his letter I guess. I happened to send him the info about the "jiggle test" for the GH bolt. He said he thought that the relay problem may be the reason for the grid heater bolt burning off? His reasoning was that even if the relay does not stick long enough to start a fire, it may be staying on longer than necessary at times, keeping the high current going long enough to weaken the bolt. I seem to remember that the bolt issue was a thing long before the new style relay came about? If so the two things are unrelated and a better relay will not reduce the rare issue with the bolt. Thoughts?
I don't think they are related as it affects all the 6.7s even the ones with the old control setup. I'm actually more surprised that 35+ years of Cummins grid heaters the heating elements don't disintegrate from heat cycles and blow out flakes like my wife's hair dryers do when they kaput. I've had to replace the relays on 2nd generation trucks before as they short out and have stuck on me as well. I've never had one of these engines not start for me in CT never used a block heater. I've had them start and gel a couple of times if the fuel didn't get moving fast enough. I can't speak aboot our neighbors above the border though!

CdnHO

Reaction score
Pretty sure the relay recall is because the relay sticks on and overheats. The grid heater draws more current than the relay is designed to carry continuously and lights on fire. The bolt burning off is due to poor contact and arcing at the grid heater. Really two different issues.

95Ctd

Reaction score
Either way, another week no 22' in my garage but starting to see posts of new 24' Chevys being purchased and delivered. That doesn't make any sense either. Car market is so screwed up, I'm on the 5-10yrs wagon before things get back to what most "normal" people would call normal.

twister2507

Reaction score
Yep I'm in the same situation will have a New 22 that is 2 model years old by the time I get to take ownership. These Companies don't care about the problems they cause the working man just their bottom line. My dealer has trucks on the lot that they can't sell due to this recall. What's is it costing him per day to hold these truck on his lot? Well I hope that next week the parts come in to repair the truck I have money down on.
Also check the date on the truck when it was made if it's over a year old be sure that they CLEAN OUT the D E F system because D E F will go bad after a year. My company has had this experience with our Semi's it messed up the D E F system. I'm glad that the warranty took care of it.

scout110

Reaction score
Just checked the website and it said parts are available for my 2022 that is being held by dealer. Dealer is checking and I'm waiting on a call back.

sn_85

Reaction score
Just checked the website and it said parts are available for my 2022 that is being held by dealer. Dealer is checking and I'm waiting on a call back.

Which website did you use to check the status?

scout110

Reaction score

Firewall

Reaction score
Just called my dealer - They said the 22's were released today. They have four in stock which are spoken for and will order one for me, said it should be about two weeks.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Just called my dealer - They said the 22's were released today. They have four in stock which are spoken for and will order one for me, said it should be about two weeks.
Hello,

We are doing phases on the 13A: Grid Heater Relay, starting with the 2023 model year on down. We are anticipating the 2022 model year to be released closer to the end of this month. A notification will be sent out to all affected customers once the repair is ready for service on your vehicle. We appreciate your patience and cooperation on this matter.

William
Ram Cares

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Mopar.recalls. you'll enter your Vin if you have it. Friday it said parts not available.

Hello,

We are anticipating to release the 2022 13A: Grid Heater Relay closer to the end of this month. The 2023 model year is available at the moment. We will send a notification letter out once the repair is available for service on your vehicle. Thank you for your patience on this matter.

William
Ram Cares

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
Hello,

We are anticipating to release the 2022 13A: Grid Heater Relay closer to the end of this month. The 2023 model year is available at the moment. We will send a notification letter out once the repair is available for service on your vehicle. Thank you for your patience on this matter.

William
Ram Cares

Unless the recall part is available without supply delays for the outstanding demand to complete. Getting a letter letting you know go in and get the recall done means nadda. I’m still waiting on my transmission dipstick recall with 3 letters stating parts are available, only to be told by my dealer is 75 week wait.

Go back and report that to Stellantis/FCA “William”.

Last edited:

95Ctd

Reaction score
Well apparently mine is done (I see the typo in my email)
Ill be sure to let everyone know when it's actually home as I won't be able to get there until the weekend.

Followed up today after seeing on the ram website parts were available for my VIN. Last contact I had before today was last week when my salesman told me parts were able to be ordered for it.

Hopefully this means there is hope for all of these trucks getting released soon!

Screenshot_20230418_172853_Gmail.jpg

twister2507

Reaction score
Telling you the part are available is just lip service. When I see my truck in my driveway then I'll know it's been fixed. Waiting weeks on end for a repair is just not acceptable Ram should make an effort to repair their faults in a timely manner.

ShowKiller1

Reaction score
My sales guy called me today to say the grid heater relay was replaced this morning. However, the trans dipstick they set aside for my truck got used on a different truck and they dont have any more in stock so, now i need to wait on that part. Just cant catch a break.

Last edited:

twister2507

Reaction score
Dealer just called me and said that they will have my new truck fixed in the morning. Be able to pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread