Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grid Heater RELAY Recall (new)

scout110

Reaction score
This is where the inconsistency and misinformation is so frustrating. I've spoken to 3 of my local dealerships. Two have told me there is no fix, no parts, no waitlist and to wait for another letter in the mail when parts are available. One of them told me there is only a fix for the 2023's and that there is no fix for 21's or 22's. The last dealership said similar things but at least put me on a waitlist and got my contact info. And yet here we have a forum member with a 21 that has already had the fix done? Ram Cares needs to get their **** together regarding the recall(s).
Agree 100%. And when you talk to the actual Ram representatives they are about as misleading. They have no answers and i asked for someone with information and they told me there was no one with information on how the repairs were be prioritized. So crazy.

Reactions: jak

1981d50

Reaction score
I think it was 20-23. Not 100% sure, but it is on this site somewhere.

ShowKiller1

Reaction score
I have a blue 2022 on sales stop and my dealer just emailed and said she was told they can start fixing them on April 20th. 2024 Chevys are starting to arrive that will make my truck 2 years old down 100hp/125 tq. I'm loosing interest, do you think it will have the correct locking dipstick?

Just got a text from my sales guy and he told me the same thing. They can start repairing the 2022 stop sale trucks on April 20th. He said mine is #1 on the list so i should finally be taking delivery on 4/20.

95Ctd

Reaction score
This was the last dealer service instructions I was able to locate end of last month when we were being told April 1st and it showed that the fix was not available for 21s + 22s only the 23s. Have not seen anything since possibly why some dealers only know partial information.

Attachments

• FCA-SafetyRecall13A-IntakeAirGridHeaterRelay.pdf
    808.8 KB · Views: 31

Ostracize

Reaction score
It was not my intention to stir the pot, just passing along an update to allow folks to engage with their dealers to get the ball rolling...

That said, I was only waiting on an updated relay part number. Once that was posted I re-engaged with my dealership... First their parts department to query the limitations on ordering (was told they can order 1 per week & he'd need a p/o from service) once I had that info I handed it to my service writer and he verified it vs the recall info and ordered it a few days later once the new week started as I was apparently not the first.

As to the frustration at ram cares... I respectfully disagree with angst sent their way.... They are a customer relations entity rep-ing the manufacturer.... I've found no fault in their responses or accuracy of updates to time lines and such.... The issue of inconsistency as I see it stems from the nature of dealerships... There are so many variables with them and with the people who make decisions relative to those variables... And that's being generous with ignoring the fact that some service writers/managers or even owners are just... Not good. Basically the source of info should always be considered.

I don't mind doing the leg work and handing the silver platter solution to my dealer... My truck... Should it "have to" be this way... No of course not but we don't live in "that" kind of world. If that is what it takes to get it done.. So be it.

scout110

Reaction score
It was not my intention to stir the pot, just passing along an update to allow folks to engage with their dealers to get the ball rolling...

That said, I was only waiting on an updated relay part number. Once that was posted I re-engaged with my dealership... First their parts department to query the limitations on ordering (was told they can order 1 per week & he'd need a p/o from service) once I had that info I handed it to my service writer and he verified it vs the recall info and ordered it a few days later once the new week started as I was apparently not the first.

As to the frustration at ram cares... I respectfully disagree with angst sent their way.... They are a customer relations entity rep-ing the manufacturer.... I've found no fault in their responses or accuracy of updates to time lines and such.... The issue of inconsistency as I see it stems from the nature of dealerships... There are so many variables with them and with the people who make decisions relative to those variables... And that's being generous with ignoring the fact that some service writers/managers or even owners are just... Not good. Basically the source of info should always be considered.

I don't mind doing the leg work and handing the silver platter solution to my dealer... My truck... Should it "have to" be this way... No of course not but we don't live in "that" kind of world. If that is what it takes to get it done.. So be it.
My frustration is with ram recall service. The only thing close to a date they could give me was June. I asked them what dictates the order vehicle's are repaired and they said they didn't know and they had nobody in their customer service that nows. It was dictated by the government safety department. I call b.s. on that.

Ostracize

Reaction score
My frustration is with ram recall service. The only thing close to a date they could give me was June. I asked them what dictates the order vehicle's are repaired and they said they didn't know and they had nobody in their customer service that nows. It was dictated by the government safety department. I call b.s. on that.
I agree with the bs flag. Though asking them about availability all the way down to a specific dealer is like asking the corporate grocery llc when your local store will get apples restocked..

Your dealer, if they are worth their salt, will be best equipped to know if something can be ordered, how long it will take to get, and where you are in the line... which it seems they did share with you.

Last edited:

rbram

Reaction score
I custom ordered a 2022 ram back in Mar 2022. It was built in 3 months and then sat for 8 months waiting to ship( found out it had a stop sale recall on it from Ram). I canceled it and we ordered a 2023 in NOV 22. It was built and shipped to dealer in MAR 23 and has a stop sale recall on it...... really fed up with Ram. I have owned 2 1500's and 3 2500's and sold my last 2500 anticipating this one. What a $hit show. I'm seeing other dealers with the same spec'd out truck i ordered with no recalled part on them. How do you ship out a sold truck with a recalled part and then have no priorty to get a new part out to the dealer......just ranting bc Ram will not do anything. 1month so far sitting at the dealers.
UPDATE.....When i checked Ram's recall site it said parts are available so I called my dealer and told him about it. He called me back and said he had one part in stock and would have them install it asap. I can now say after waiting so long for this truck that it is now in my driveway. The only thing I was dissapointed in was no HUD or digital gauges and its a 2023 model with every option icould put on it.

Ostracize

Reaction score
UPDATE.....When i checked Ram's recall site it said parts are available so I called my dealer and told him about it. He called me back and said he had one part in stock and would have them install it asap. I can now say after waiting so long for this truck that it is now in my driveway. The only thing I was dissapointed in was no HUD or digital gauges and its a 2023 model with every option icould put on it.
Awesome news! Enjoy your new rig!

tyler2you

Reaction score

Edit: My bad--didn't see you canceled the 2022 and bought a 2023 . . .

Sounds like there's going to be a few dealers that get to eat the cost for performing the warranty work on 2022 trucks too early:

https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...ecall-y76-refreshed-oct-2021.4526/post-257554

Last edited:

scout110

Reaction score

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
3C6UR5CL4LG230447
Hello,

The Grid Heater Relay is not available yet on your vehicle. This is being done in phases starting with the 2023 model year on down. We will be sending a notification out once the repair is available for your vehicle.

William
Ram Cares

RichM752

Reaction score
I called dealer to get an appointment for recall. They told me I was already on the list, #6 when they get parts.

Reaction score
Had recall 13A performed this week on a 2022 Bighorn purchased May 2022. They installed part number 68606435AB which replaced the OEM recalled part no 68444169AB.
My service manager told me that a new recall remedy will be issued indicating this installed part number for the 2021 and 2022's.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Had recall 13A performed this week on a 2022 Bighorn purchased May 2022. They installed part number 68606435AB which replaced the OEM recalled part no 68444169AB.
My service manager told me that a new recall remedy will be issued indicating this installed part number for the 2021 and 2022's.
That replacement part is on Mopar's online parts store for $88 bucks. There's no indication if it's actually available to purchase (likely not, or it will be a backorder), but it's good to see that it actually exists.

Reaction score
That replacement part is on Mopar's online parts store for $88 bucks. There's no indication if it's actually available to purchase (likely not, or it will be a backorder), but it's good to see that it actually exists.
Do you think we could get Ram Cares to verify this information?

Will_T

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend about this recall as he does not follow online stuff but did get his letter I guess. I happened to send him the info about the "jiggle test" for the GH bolt. He said he thought that the relay problem may be the reason for the grid heater bolt burning off? His reasoning was that even if the relay does not stick long enough to start a fire, it may be staying on longer than necessary at times, keeping the high current going long enough to weaken the bolt. I seem to remember that the bolt issue was a thing long before the new style relay came about? If so the two things are unrelated and a better relay will not reduce the rare issue with the bolt. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread