Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUX pass-thru wiring.

JLines

Reaction score
Thanks ... I appreciate your patience. After reading several pages starting with #35, I believe I'm going to rewire my radar detector making use of the black connector in the kit since I want to use switch one for radar detector and then get Deutsch 4 pin connector to "prewire" all of those wires to a connector with mating connector wired to switch one, leave two open for future under dash use under dash and wire good ground wire to 4th pin/pass through. So much information in this thread if you can find it ... that's why I really liked the PDF that was created by @thestuarts with credit to @Brutal_HO, @IronByron and @Jimmy07. My thanks to all of those as well as others that have contributed such great ideas.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks ... I appreciate your patience. After reading several pages starting with #35, I believe I'm going to rewire my radar detector making use of the black connector in the kit since I want to use switch one for radar detector and then get Deutsch 4 pin connector to "prewire" all of those wires to a connector with mating connector wired to switch one, leave two open for future under dash use under dash and wire good ground wire to 4th pin/pass through. So much information in this thread if you can find it ... that's why I really liked the PDF that was created by @thestuarts with credit to @Brutal_HO, @IronByron and @Jimmy07. My thanks to all of those as well as others that have contributed such great ideas.

There's a ground on the lower AUX connecter under the hood.

Godzilla

Reaction score
Big thank you to all who contributed to this thread and the work that it entailed. The video from thestuarts was fantastic. I set up my WeBoost Reach cellphone booster today and the most difficult part of the entire process was getting my meathook up past the emergency brake to connect that wiring harness.

mollie14

Reaction score
Great job! Very nice video. Thorough, clear, concise. Doc looking good. The effort shows.
I have a 2022 Ram 3500 with the aux switchs and I want to run a 12 volt aux fuel pump for my aux fuel tank. I'm not sure which port I should use to ensure the correct the correct fuse size. can you suggest which one? Thanks

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Ram 3500 with the aux switchs and I want to run a 12 volt aux fuel pump for my aux fuel tank. I'm not sure which port I should use to ensure the correct the correct fuse size. can you suggest which one? Thanks

You can use any Aux switch you like and move the fuses around if needed to use any size fuse that's in the AUX PDC. 40A (28A continuous load) max on any one circuit. The total amperage combined cannot exceed 135A.

Jmonty

Reaction score
Want to say thanks to all the contributors to this thread! Was able to follow the links/documents and the excellent video by @thestuarts to connect my AUX1 switch through to the blunt cut cables at the rear bumper to use with some LED pod lights! Can't imagine how long it would have taken to figure it all out from just the up-fitter schematics!

tyler2you

Reaction score
I was hoping the experts here could take a look at my plan to make sure it will do what I think it will do before I start pulling things apart on my 2022 3500.

I read through the entire thread and took tips from everyone along the way. My goal is to bring 4 Aux inputs into the cab for my dash cam (so I can disable it going into park mode), TPMS, Nav/GPS, DC fridge, or anything else I may add in the future.

I also wanted to bring in a more robust ground and have a quick way to provide batt/ign feeds for other things that may not need to be switched using the Wago connectors. Thanks

Aux Wiring.png

Last edited:

hmguy01

Reaction score
I installed a Rexing V1P Max 4K with Rear View Camera using a Rexing Smart Hardware kit. I needed to change out the fuse taps that came with it to fit the Micro 2 fuses in my 2022 2500 PW. It requires both a always on power source and a an accessory switched power source. I found both inside the fuse block under the hood. Since I have an automatic, running the circuit through the firewall was pretty easy using the clutch cable pass through. The pass thru has a cover that is removable with two nuts on the inside of the firewall under the drivers side dash. Just drill a hole in the cover, install a wire gland in the hole, and reinstall. I routed the circuit with wire loom along the driver's side fender and through to the fuse block. Grounding was easy with the OEM ground posts found on the fender, too.

JABAR357

Reaction score
I believe I have the four blunt cut bundle located but I have not tested where the other end is yet as I am having trouble under the dash. See 1st photo which is, I believe the 4 wires Brutal refers to. But I don't find the other end of those 4 wires under the dash?

But the only connector I can find under the dash by the parking brake and steering column is what is pictured in the 2nd photo. That was taped way up in a spot uncomfortably small for my hands but I managed to move it a few inches to get a better look. It does not look to me like this is what RAM describes in the schematic as "D", "Port Upfitters Connecters, Under Dash Board near park brake bracket / Steering Column"? Or is it?? It does not look like the 12 gauge connector I found in the upfitters bag (photo 3), will fit into it, but maybe it will.

But if photo #2 is the correct socket for the wires with connector in photo 3, than why does photo 3 have wires in all 6 spots where as that connector in photo 2 only has 3 wires into the back. I see that there are two wires looped on the photo 3 plug and then two blunt cut wires. I am confused as to why that is? What are the two looped wires for? I am not good enough reading the schematic to figure it out so if someone could explain I would appreciate it. I thought I had found the answer in an earlier post in this thread but after reading it a couple of times, I still don't think I get it. Thanks.

View attachment 15636View attachment 15637View attachment 15638

On edit: I found another connector that looks more promising. It was staring me in the face almost too obvious to miss, but I did. It is the gray one shown in photo 4 below. Is that what the wire connector in photo 3 plugs in to? And I still have not figured out the answers to the original questions above. Thanks again for educating a schematic dummy.

View attachment 15639
Can you tell me what wires go thru the white connector under the dash D2433A. In picture 2?

Will_T

Reaction score
Can you tell me what wires go thru the white connector under the dash D2433A. In picture 2?
Sorry, I am not sure. This was a long time ago that I did this and I am not sure I ever knew the exact answer to your question. Even if I did, my old brain is past the age where I would remember. Thankfully this is all still working fine for me. If I had to ever troubleshoot or change anything, I would be starting from scratch memory wise!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Have you looked here?

JABAR357

Reaction score
Have you looked here?

Yes, I did. I will not be around my truck until this weekend I will check the Black pigtail connector to see if it works. When I was lying there under the dash plugging and dressing the VSIM connector wires the Black connector didn’t look right. I did not try it. Started raining. If it fits, I’ll be a monkeys Uncle

Thanks

Florotory

Reaction score
I've posted on the 2500/3500 FB pages and was referred to a couple members here to DM but haven't gotten any replies. I've read through the previous 7 pages as well as the link in the above reply. Still haven't found an answer to some questions. Hopefully someone here can help.

Truck: 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie
Engine: 6.7L
Infotainment: 12" screen

I was not able to get Aux switched with my truck as it didn't already have them and I wasn't able to order my truck. I am looking to add them to my truck so that they function as OEM.

-So far I know that the harness behind my switch panel is the same as the one that has the Aux switches so it would be just buying the new switch panel and swapping them out.
-I already have the AUX PDC from the factory but its just setup for cabin heating and doesn't have the fuses/relays for the AUX switches.
My questions are:
1. where can I get the light gray/dark gray plugs that go on the side of the PDC (for wiring in lights or whatever)
2. What powers the 2 gray plugs? do they go into the Aux PDC? If so where can I find a wiring diagram to wire it properly?
3. Can I use ALPHA OBD to program the truck to know the switches are there?

mountainears

Reaction score
I've posted on the 2500/3500 FB pages and was referred to a couple members here to DM but haven't gotten any replies. I've read through the previous 7 pages as well as the link in the above reply. Still haven't found an answer to some questions. Hopefully someone here can help.

Truck: 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie
Engine: 6.7L
Infotainment: 12" screen

I was not able to get Aux switched with my truck as it didn't already have them and I wasn't able to order my truck. I am looking to add them to my truck so that they function as OEM.

-So far I know that the harness behind my switch panel is the same as the one that has the Aux switches so it would be just buying the new switch panel and swapping them out.
-I already have the AUX PDC from the factory but its just setup for cabin heating and doesn't have the fuses/relays for the AUX switches.
My questions are:
1. where can I get the light gray/dark gray plugs that go on the side of the PDC (for wiring in lights or whatever)
2. What powers the 2 gray plugs? do they go into the Aux PDC? If so where can I find a wiring diagram to wire it properly?
3. Can I use ALPHA OBD to program the truck to know the switches are there?

Long thread, but I’d suggest browsing through this one as I believe it will answer some or all your questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Florotory

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Iver read through that one but the AlphaOBD is the only one of my questions it touches on..

mountainears

Reaction score
The wires that plug into the gray plugs under the hood (4 connectors each) are black and I’m not sure they come from Ram outside of buying the whole kit that comes with the truck. You may have seen posts from people finding wiring kits under their rear seat or in the floor storage bins under the rear floor mats. If you don’t have that kit, sourcing the plugs themselves may be tough. Not sure I’ve seen part numbers for those specifically.

But the whole wiring kit is available. Here is an example of one for sale on eBay and there are others. The PN for that kit 68512072AA. There is also an upfitter wiring kit that has some of the plugs for the pass thru wires as well.

mountainears

Reaction score

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
changing the panel to the aux switches alone, will not get you functioning aux controls.

Florotory

Reaction score
The wires that plug into the gray plugs under the hood (4 connectors each) are black and I’m not sure they come from Ram outside of buying the whole kit that comes with the truck. You may have seen posts from people finding wiring kits under their rear seat or in the floor storage bins under the rear floor mats. If you don’t have that kit, sourcing the plugs themselves may be tough. Not sure I’ve seen part numbers for those specifically.

But the whole wiring kit is available. Here is an example of one for sale on eBay and there are others. The PN for that kit 68512072AA. There is also an upfitter wiring kit that has some of the plugs for the pass thru wires as well.

Ok so the plugs that come in that kit are what plugs into the connectors attached to the side of the AUX PDC? I thought both the male and female sides where Gray.

Where do the wires from the back side of the plug go? Into the AUX PDC? Or the cab of the truck? Pic attached
3de33986a76871fad66172612676b9c6.jpg

Thanks. I wish I had someone close by that has them. Then I could look at what they have.

Users who are viewing this thread