Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

Cseybert

Reaction score
This only makes sense when 19s are getting wrecked and I doubt 19s are getting wrecked any faster than 20s. Those being sold or traded will still need to be done.
I work in Contruction most guys don’t even know about the recall. Mainly because they where purchased used. More 19s than 20s.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I work in Contruction most guys don’t even know about the recall. Mainly because they where purchased used. More 19s than 20s.
Doesn't matter, being sold out traded in just changes the vehicle ownership so a new guy will have to deal with the recall. And those who don't know will eventually get a memo when they bring their truck for a service or hear from a friend.

Nick

Reaction score
Took mine in yesterday for the inspection portion . Service writer came out 20 min later and told me mine qualified ( big surprise there) The real surprise was they had the parts on hand and would replace it right away . Made my day !

Dawn Russo

Reaction score
Who knows what's going on. I took my 19 2500 in 2 weeks ago for them to look at the engine data plate so they could get parts ordered. They just called me up & said parts are in so my truck goes in next Tuesday to get pump replaced. For reference, my 2019 was built in July 2019.
My dealership used my vin number to order the part . They wanted me to bring it in so they could go ahead and do some update and inspection but told me if it failed, they wouldn't be able to release the truck back to me and said it would probably be about 2 months before I got it back because there are a lot of trucks ahead of me.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My dealership used my vin number to order the part . They wanted me to bring it in so they could go ahead and do some update and inspection but told me if it failed, they wouldn't be able to release the truck back to me and said it would probably be about 2 months before I got it back because there are a lot of trucks ahead of me.
Thats a load of crap they should not be holding the truck back

KBob

Reaction score
Mine told me if it failed the test, or broke before my parts came in they would put a new CP4 back in until the recall pump came came in. Seems every dealer is making it up as they go. Mine is a small "farm town" dealer, and have customers who have probably purchased a dozen trucks there over the years. I went there one time to buy this one truck so I figure on a few owners getting to jump the list on me.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect these dealers are removing the FQS to inspect, which according to 99% of the other dealer "inspection" reports here, is no longer required if the truck comes in running.
Thats a load of crap they should not be holding the truck back
If they pull the FQS and find glitter, they can likely ground the truck as it becomes a safety issue, the very reason for the recall. You can take your truck back, but it probably won't have a pump in it or any subsequent damage will be denied for warranty claim. Just guessing on this so don't go nuts telling me how wrong I am.

Mine told me if it failed the test, or broke before my parts came in they would put a new CP4 back in until the recall pump came came in. Seems every dealer is making it up as they go. Mine is a small "farm town" dealer, and have customers who have probably purchased a dozen trucks there over the years. I went there one time to buy this one truck so I figure on a few owners getting to jump the list on me.

STAR will not authorize any CP4 replacements. Unless the dealer has one sitting on the shelf and takes it on themselves to do so, that's not gonna happen.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If they pull the FQS and find glitter, they can likely ground the truck as it becomes a safety issue, the very reason for the recall. You can take your truck back, but it probably won't have a pump in it or any subsequent damage will be denied for warranty claim. Just guessing on this so don't go nuts telling me how wrong I am.

I thought they were not pulling the FCA anymore and just listening to the sound of the pump

Aketay

Reaction score
It getting harder and harder to do my job worrying about fuel pump failure. Just went over 300k miles on Wednesday. Still waiting for a shift solenoid for the transmission, over a month now. My first DPF went out at 225k miles and had to wait 5 months for it to be fixed. DPF went out again at 276k mile and was not replaced under warranty. This has become the most expensive work truck to maintain trying to get to 500k miles so I can get a new one if they are still available. All of these parts do not require a fancy chip like they are telling us that is holding up production of new trucks. Rant done, have a good day!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought they were not pulling the FCA anymore and just listening to the sound of the pump

You may need to read my post again. All of it.

I suspect these dealers are removing the FQS to inspect, which according to 99% of the other dealer "inspection" reports here, is no longer required if the truck comes in running.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Just read in another thread that the mileage dropped to nearly half to what it was before the pump recall.

Any comments from those who had this done on their trucks? How's the mileage did it stay the same? Got better / worse?

KBob

Reaction score
STAR will not authorize any CP4 replacements. Unless the dealer has one sitting on the shelf and takes it on themselves to do so, that's not gonna happen.
Yeah, I felt the "smoke" blowing up my ass to make me feel better. From here on out I'm just talking to my CP4 in a soft reassuring voice. "You'll be fine" "It's going to be OK" ;)

John Jensen

Reaction score
Just read in another thread that the mileage dropped to nearly half to what it was before the pump recall.

Any comments from those who had this done on their trucks? How's the mileage did it stay the same? Got better / worse?
Every report I've read said no changes, including mine.
I think there are some who would report mileage changes if they changed their windshield wipers

Last edited:

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
Wow that sucks, guess the words out.
Putnam said they'd call me when the parts were ready but I called them back to check anyway. Of course their parts department said "oh, sure, we have your kit right here" despite no outreach from the service department. Truck is in for the HPFP replacement now, about 10 days after the initial inspection.

Highcountry

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see if anyone who's dyno'd their truck reports any power output changes. I called my dealer yesterday and they ordered parts based on VIN. They did not ask me to come in for any inspection. I don't put alot of miles on my truck, so i actually wanted to wait until the mechanics have done a few and give a chance for bugs to be sorted out.

Reaction score
Hey guys, figured I'd post this here.

Took my 2020 2500 into the dealer to have recalls looked into. They did the software update recall and the inspection portion of the HPFP recall. No parts for the 2020 models they tell me, but the 2019 parts are more readily available. I don't have issues with my truck but they did the inspection and ordered the parts. As to when it goes in for repair is anyones guess. Truck manufacture date of Nov. 2020 if that matters.

Razzman

Reaction score
Hey guys, figured I'd post this here.

Took my 2020 2500 into the dealer to have recalls looked into. They did the software update recall and the inspection portion of the HPFP recall. No parts for the 2020 models they tell me, but the 2019 parts are more readily available. I don't have issues with my truck but they did the inspection and ordered the parts. As to when it goes in for repair is anyones guess. Truck manufacture date of Nov. 2020 if that matters.
Better go to a different dealer, 2020's are having no issues getting the recall done. It's the 2019's that are having issues, just read the previous posts to see. Ordered parts for my 2020 the day they released them and done 10 days later.

Reaction score
Better go to a different dealer, 2020's are having no issues getting the recall done. It's the 2019's that are having issues, just read the previous posts to see. Ordered parts for my 2020 the day they released them and done 10 days later.
My thoughts exactly. I have two dealers nearby so I approached the second dealer for advice. Told me the same thing as dealer #1. They can only order one set of parts per 7 days. They have 8 people in line at dealer #2. All parts on back order. All dealers here are "in the same boat" due to parts supply issues. Alberta Canada if that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread