Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

MikeXM

Reaction score
Ive always thought my DEF DPF gauge never registered anything until I left it continuously on for a few days. It went up to about 2 thirds full then started a cycle that took two drives to complete. Since then I have seen nothing but gauge wasn't on all the time either.

I think if you drive fast enough, motor heats up enough that it will inject DEF on the fly so nothing shows on gauge. If you drive slower, it is not hot enough and it will accumulate then will need a full cleanup cycle.

DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS. But that is what I have observed.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I think if you drive fast enough, motor heats up enough that it will inject DEF on the fly so nothing shows on gauge. If you drive slower, it is not hot enough and it will accumulate then will need a full cleanup cycle.

DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS. But that is what I have observed.
You are close… the DEF has nothing to do with the DPF though if you are running hot enough the DPF does not build up as much soot because you are basically burning it off as it accumulates if hot enough can be classed as a passive regen, they have set up these engines to burn extremely clean, (cummins has stated they can meet the emissions standards without the DPF but was still forced to run them) that is why a large number of us do not see anything on the DPF gauge

The DEF is only injected to make sure the temps through the SCR does not hit 1500° which it gets that hot after passing through the DOC and the DPF, the DEF only reduced the NOx gas which is formed at temps 1500° and above, the EGR plays a part in this aswell as reburning the combustion gases helps reduce the exhaust temps

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
It’s day 1, but the mileage on my 2019 went from 14 MPG combined to 17 MPG combined after the HPFP and fuel lines replacement. (I was pretty disappointed with the fuel economy before.) That’s a 20% increase, which is awesome in my book.

I don’t think everyone will see a difference - my original fuel pump may have just been tired out - but I definitely am seeing a difference.

Horse hauler

Reaction score
I dropped my 2020 4500 Laramie off Tuesday for the recall on the pump, just got the call last night they broke the PCM on install and they are on backorder.............:mad: I need the truck this week. Have a Claim opened but I doubt I will get the truck back in time.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I dropped my 2020 4500 Laramie off Tuesday for the recall on the pump, just got the call last night they broke the PCM on install and they are on backorder.............:mad: I need the truck this week. Have a Claim opened but I doubt I will get the truck back in time.

Enterprise truck rental? I believe the recall authorizes one if they don't have a loaner.

Horse hauler

Reaction score
Trouble is I haul a Gooseneck that doesn't have a lot of bed clearance. This was the reason I bought this 4500 Laramie and had a bed built so I wouldn't have to worry about it hitting.

Attachments

• IMG_20220408_134750727.jpg
    IMG_20220408_134750727.jpg
    897.2 KB · Views: 48

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
Has anyone had trouble getting this recall performed with an aftermarket s&b or Titan fuel tank installed? My parts came in and are sitting at my dealer and they told me they cant perform the recall due to me having a S&B oem location tank installed. They referred me to contact ramcares for a solution. They said they have to drop the fuel tank and wont touch it since its aftermarket. @RamCares do you have any input? i am waiting on a call back from ramcare now..

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone had trouble getting this recall performed with an aftermarket s&b or Titan fuel tank installed? My parts came in and are sitting at my dealer and they told me they cant perform the recall due to me having a S&B oem location tank installed. They referred me to contact ramcares for a solution. They said they have to drop the fuel tank and wont touch it since its aftermarket. @RamCares do you have any input? i am waiting on a call back from ramcare now..

If your truck is currently running, and no debris is found in the FQS when they begin the recall repair, the dealer is wrong. So very very wrong.

If they are that inept, then get @RamCares involved for sure.

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
If your truck is currently running, and no debris is found in the FQS when they begin the recall repair, the dealer is wrong. So very very wrong.

If they are that inept, then get @RamCares involved for sure.
Yea I am waiting on ramcares response but I also just emailed the dealer back to let them know exactly what you stated. I came to the same conclusion after reading the repair tsb. The tank should only be touched if the pump fails sending debris through the fuel system. I would love to go to another dealer but the only other one in my area told me parts weren't even available and I have over 100 people in line ahead of me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
@RamCares how do you feel about your dealers "voiding" a safety recall just because they dont want to do the work?
762968237588b01bfb265fd8a0db84c0.jpg

DieselDebbie

Reaction score
Hi there! I feel like the answer is here somewhere, I just haven't been able to find it quite yet.

Has anyone had a non-start be a symptom of a CP4 failure?

2019 2500, 50k miles, went on the rollback to the dealership this morning. I followed and the advisor said they won't even be able to diagnose it for a week since they only have one diesel technician. Gotta love Savannah, nothing happens fast around here.... When pressing the start button the display restarts with every possible warning light, temp at -40 (amusing for us southerners), and then displays - Service antilock brake system, Service electronic stability control, Service trailer brake system, and Service electronic throttle control. Neither the recall for the ESC nor the fuel pump has been completed yet, as I haven't been unable to get an appointment. I'm assuming it's been due to the lack of technicians judging by the advisor's comment today.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 45

Randyhut

Reaction score
My truck has been having issues with "Missing" on several occasions, started in April, just a slight miss once in a while, the only initial code was for low temps, which they fixed with new thermostat. Truck continued to miss on occasion, would miss for a few seconds then smooth up and run ok, no codes. this has been happening since April and getting worse and more frequent. Went in for them to look at yesterday, they checked the pump and it appears that it failed the pump test as they are now waiting on some parts. (new tank)
We will see how it works out

MEGA HO

Reaction score
@RamCares how do you feel about your dealers "voiding" a safety recall just because they dont want to do the work
Your dealer is full of s*** they can't void a pump recall especially for something completely unrelated like aftermarket tank.
FCA would even OK the aftermarket pump installs and pay money back, nobody is cancelling this recall

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
Your dealer is full of s*** they can't void a pump recall especially for something completely unrelated like aftermarket tank.
FCA would even OK the aftermarket pump installs and pay money back, nobody is cancelling this recall
I pointed out to them that it is against the law to void a safety recall as well as the laws regarding warranty and aftermarket parts. I also pointed out that according to their own recall instructions the tank should not be dropped since my truck is running fine. They finally agreed to perform the recall and scheduled me. What a nightmare. I wish they would just give me the parts to install myself.

C00P

Reaction score

Did this get resolved? Have been hearing about PCM flash failures after install. My parts are in but without better reassurance can’t afford to have my truck parked on dealer lot next to the last truck they did, its been there since 1 Jun waiting on a new PCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Rav

Reaction score
Got mine done yesterday. Only put 100 miles on it since but so far everything is great.

Users who are viewing this thread