Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

ACEd

Reaction score
Whenever I take custody I will post pics. I’m sure though that others will have their’s well before I receive mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks - but my point is yours has an unusual option relative to towing and you may get lucky on other Trailer Tow options
Best, ed

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
P.S. I just noticed you have the Max Tow option - that may or may not make a difference on what connectors you get in bed - I would be interested to see if it might have the Coax setup for Tow Mode digital camera in bed in addition to the 7&12 pin setup. I kind of doubt it as no one else seems to have coax anywhere except rear bumper (pain!).
Please post photo if you have coax in bed.

I ordered max tow, but ill let you know Monday. Im beyond doubtful it will be but who knows. Max tow to my knowledge doesnt even get you a gooseneck ball…I just picked back up the thread and seems you already figured out that it is easier to get the 12 pin than we initially thought(pleasant surprise). Im following on the coax connector. Seems like mopar is having s hard time filling part orders. Ill be right behind you on getting an in box solution. May just do the relocate and buy the blank @Jimmy posted.

ACEd

Reaction score
I ordered max tow, but ill let you know Monday. Im beyond doubtful it will be but who knows. Max tow to my knowledge doesnt even get you a gooseneck ball…I just picked back up the thread and seems you already figured out that it is easier to get the 12 pin than we initially thought(pleasant surprise). Im following on the coax connector. Seems like mopar is having s hard time filling part orders. Ill be right behind you on getting an in box solution. May just do the relocate and buy the blank @Jimmy posted.
Looks like the only option - but cutting the odd hole without making a mess looks challenging. Would have been a lot easier if they just made hole round - no need to even keyway it since coax connector looks to be round. Blanking plug is available under $10.

gator6

Reaction score
Thanks - but my point is yours has an unusual option relative to towing and you may get lucky on other Trailer Tow options
Best, ed

Off the top of my head the Max Tow option only gave you the bed prep, DoT package, 30k hitch, bed cam, air suspension, and 4.10 gears.

I did notice that instead of starting at the top and selecting the engine… if you go straight to Max Tow and select it the price jumps $20,385 (for Longhorn CC Long-bed 4x4) because it adds the HO, Aisin, cab lights, DRW, as well as everything in the package.

It doesn’t mention placing electric hook-ups in the bed, but it seems that would be a plus. It is perplexing why they would only give you one option for a location to hookup a camera.

I’ll let you know.

ACEd

Reaction score
Off the top of my head the Max Tow option only gave you the bed prep, DoT package, 30k hitch, bed cam, air suspension, and 4.10 gears.

I did notice that instead of starting at the top and selecting the engine… if you go straight to Max Tow and select it the price jumps $20,385 (for Longhorn CC Long-bed 4x4) because it adds the HO, Aisin, cab lights, DRW, as well as everything in the package.

It doesn’t mention placing electric hook-ups in the bed, but it seems that would be a plus. It is perplexing why they would only give you one option for a location to hookup a camera.

I’ll let you know.

My thoughts are whoever added the Coax was not thinking about 5th wheel or gooseneck - but obviously you are buying package specific to bed hookup and you might get lucky and whoever put the Max Tow package together was smart enough to realize you needed the coax in bed (as well as the HO and DRW) - while the rest of us would never consider towing a gooseneck or 5th wheel.

gator6

Reaction score
My thoughts are whoever added the Coax was not thinking about 5th wheel or gooseneck - but obviously you are buying package specific to bed hookup and you might get lucky and whoever put the Max Tow package together was smart enough to realize you needed the coax in bed (as well as the HO and DRW) - while the rest of us would never consider towing a gooseneck or 5th wheel.

Well here’s to hoping. Sometimes the people in these think tanks aren’t the guys utilizing all the features which is a shame.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Well here’s to hoping. Sometimes the people in these think tanks aren’t the guys utilizing all the features which is a shame.

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble guys, but there won’t be any tow mode camera hookup in the bed. The max tow package isn’t anything special, it is like any other package, all it does is group together a bunch of other options under one banner. The gooseneck / 5th wheel hitch prep package gives you the electrical hookups in the bed. The 7 pin is standard and the 12 pin comes in to play if you have other packages that require that hookup. The coaxial / Fakra hookup for the tow mode digital rearview mirror is not offered in the bed under any package or configuration (which I agree is ridiculous). If it were, it would be in my truck right now as I have all of the options at play that would make it appear there (just not the max tow) Also, if you flip through your owners manual, there’s no mention of it anywhere in the bed, only the bumper. I’m not sure if it was an oversight on Ram’s part, but it most certainly will not be in the bed. I’d bet the farm on it. That’s sad and ridiculous I agree, and I hope someday, once all these supply chain issues are resolved and we can get back to regular business, either Ram or an aftermarket company will provide a retrofit kit to add it in the bed. It most certainly should be there. If you want to reaffirm what I’m telling you, there are a multitude of sold-order trucks in the order tracking sheet that have the max tow and all the other goodies. I’m sure if you reach out to them they could send you pics of their bed hookups, and I’d be willing to bet they’re no different. This is one of those items that needs to be called to Ram’s attention as an oversight and with the hope they can provide some sort of upfitter kit later.

Last edited:

gator6

Reaction score
I hate to be the one to burst your bubble guys, but there won’t be any tow mode camera hookup in the bed. The max tow package isn’t anything special, it is like any other package, all it does it group together a bunch of other options under one banner. The gooseneck / 5th wheel hitch prep package gives you the electrical hookups in the bed. The 7 pin is standard and the 12 pin comes in to play if you have other packages that require that hookup. The coaxial / Fakra hookup for the tow mode digital rearview mirror is not offered in the bed under any package or configuration (which I agree is ridiculous). If it were, it would be in my truck right now as I have all of the options at play that would make it appear there (just not the max tow) Also, if you flip through your owners manual, there’s no mention of it anywhere in the bed, only the bumper. I’m not sure if it was an oversight on Ram’s part, but it most certainly will not be in the bed. I’d bet the farm on it. That’s sad and ridiculous I agree, and I hope someday, once all these supply chain issues are resolved and we can get back to regular business, either Ram or an aftermarket company will provide a retrofit kit to add it in the bed. It most certainly should be there. If you want to reaffirm what I’m telling you, there are a multitude of sold-order trucks in the order tracking sheet that have the max tow and all the other goodies. I’m sure if you reach out to them they could send you pics of their bed hookups, and I’d be willing to bet they’re no different. This is one of those items that needs to be called to Ram’s attention as an oversight and with the hope they can provide some sort of upfitter kit later.

I’m not going to call you a liar. It’s another odd thing reported with these trucks, right up there with the key honking thingy.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not going to call you a liar. It’s another odd thing reported with these trucks, right up there with the key honking thingy.

Perfection is often sought but seldom attained.
I’m happy they went back to a better fuel injection pump that’s more reliable when the other two are still forcing a defective unit down their customers throats.

There are many areas on these current trucks that could be refined by speaking to the customers who use them regularly. I could write you a list a page long without really over exercising my brain.

When it comes down to it, these Ram’s are still the best truck money can buy. Hands down.

ACEd

Reaction score
I hate to be the one to burst your bubble guys, but there won’t be any tow mode camera hookup in the bed. The max tow package isn’t anything special, it is like any other package, all it does it group together a bunch of other options under one banner. The gooseneck / 5th wheel hitch prep package gives you the electrical hookups in the bed. The 7 pin is standard and the 12 pin comes in to play if you have other packages that require that hookup. The coaxial / Fakra hookup for the tow mode digital rearview mirror is not offered in the bed under any package or configuration (which I agree is ridiculous). If it were, it would be in my truck right now as I have all of the options at play that would make it appear there (just not the max tow) Also, if you flip through your owners manual, there’s no mention of it anywhere in the bed, only the bumper. I’m not sure if it was an oversight on Ram’s part, but it most certainly will not be in the bed. I’d bet the farm on it. That’s sad and ridiculous I agree, and I hope someday, once all these supply chain issues are resolved and we can get back to regular business, either Ram or an aftermarket company will provide a retrofit kit to add it in the bed. It most certainly should be there. If you want to reaffirm what I’m telling you, there are a multitude of sold-order trucks in the order tracking sheet that have the max tow and all the other goodies. I’m sure if you reach out to them they could send you pics of their bed hookups, and I’d be willing to bet they’re no different. This is one of those items that needs to be called to Ram’s attention as an oversight and with the hope they can provide some sort of upfitter kit later.

You are probably right - and I definitely would not bet on it, but at some point RAM needs to get smart enough to address this deficiency and until buyer sees the truck, you never know - I was pleasantly surprised to have 12 pin when I did not order anything that uses 12 pin and MOPAR Parts check says I don't have the 12 pin. As to seeking out previous buyers with Max Tow, it could be done with some options research or a general posting, but its easier and more current to talk to one who is expecting a newer build truck and who has asked the initial questiom.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
You are probably right - and I definitely would not bet on it, but at some point RAM needs to get smart enough to address this deficiency and until buyer sees the truck, you never know - I was pleasantly surprised to have 12 pin when I did not order anything that uses 12 pin and MOPAR Parts check says I don't have the 12 pin. As to seeking out previous buyers with Max Tow, it could be done with some options research or a general posting, but its easier and more current to talk to one who is expecting a newer build truck and who has asked the initial questiom.

Your truck has the 12 pin because it is included as part of the surround view camera system.

ACEd

Reaction score
Your truck has the 12 pin because it is included as part of the surround view camera system.

I figured that out - but tried to order extension to put 12 pin in bed and MOPAR Parts Dept says I dont have the 12 pin at all per my VIN even after I sent them a picture of bumper 12 pin.

Rampingup

Reaction score
I figured that out - but tried to order extension to put 12 pin in bed and MOPAR Parts Dept says I dont have the 12 pin at all per my VIN even after I sent them a picture of bumper 12 pin.
I ran into similar with local Ram parts guy. I wanted the tow camera. He said it didn't exist, only the extra 12 pin aux camera. I took him outside to his lot, showed him the fahkra cable connection, he said it wasn't for a camera, it was for some sort of back up alarm. Sometimes, you just cant fix stupid.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah I’ve seen Their parts program is lackluster. I tried to find some things for my 2017 and it was nightmare. It took the parts guy a week to find the correct wheel flare moldings. I can’t imagine having to work with that system daily!

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
If you give them your VIN, and you tried to order the extension harness (I’m assuming you mean the one you use to switch between the bed connector and bumper connector), they will say you don’t have it because their system filters parts based on VIN. They can only see part numbers that your truck is equipped with as it was built. If your truck didn’t come with the bed connectors or the extension harness, then they’re going to say those parts don’t fit your VIN.
If you need to order something to add to your truck that it wasn’t optioned with, you need to give them the VIN of a truck that is equipped with what you want. Or, if you know the part number already, just tell them not to worry about the VIN and sell you the part.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran into similar with local Ram parts guy. I wanted the tow camera. He said it didn't exist, only the extra 12 pin aux camera. I took him outside to his lot, showed him the fahkra cable connection, he said it wasn't for a camera, it was for some sort of back up alarm. Sometimes, you just cant fix stupid.

Same here but different item.

I had one of their parts people, AND the service manager both tell me that the little mini red light bar in the center under the tailgate on my 2017 DRW was “aftermarket” and not covered by warranty. It was a fight ti try and replace the defective one under warranty until I spent the time to research and find the part numbers myself. Their parts system is lousy. They should speak to john Deere about how to properly set up a parts system. Theirs is much better!

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
Aced,
So you have truck surround view and only got the 12 pin in the bumper. Did you not get gooseneck/fifth prep from factory? Or do you have rambox?

ACEd

Reaction score
I placed the order for the part numbers I wanted for 12 pin extension and adapter for connector in bed and he intervened and asked for VIN to make sure it would work. Got the part numbers from another member who did same thing (and ordered from same source).

I understand ignorance of most recent options more than I understand asking for VIN and checking VIN in MOPAR database and telling me I dont have a 12 pin connector on the truck. Initially I thought he was just being helpful, but now its argumentative because he has a database and I obviously dont know what I am asking for.

And he even asked if I was trying to put camera connection in bed but then he offered me the 7 pin extension saying that is only connector I have on the truck (forget about the Tow Mode Coax on other side of bumper - I know better than to get into that debate). I sent him the picture of 12 pin and no response so far - they have my charge card info for original order - will see if I get parts. Will call Monday and rattle their cage.

ACEd

Reaction score
Aced,
So you have truck surround view and only got the 12 pin in the bumper. Did you not get gooseneck/fifth prep from factory? Or do you have rambox?
Rambox - going with B&W turnover ball for gooseneck. Going to try and move Coax connector from bumper to bed if length works out - but trying to get all parts together to do all at once.

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
Rambox - going with B&W turnover ball for gooseneck. Going to try and move Coax connector from bumper to bed if length works out - but trying to get all parts together to do all at once.
Gotcha, makes sense now. I think you need kit #82216066AB. Maybe @Jimmy07 can clarify. You would need an extension 7 way harness from the bumper as well, which is easy to come by aftermarket.

I am just having a hard time coming to the conclusion that I need to cut a hole in the bed for the coax. The factory plastic is not large enough for the 7/12 and the factory coax.

Users who are viewing this thread