Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019-2022 Dually largest oversized tire on stock wheels/truck?

CJM

Reaction score
I run 1/2" spacers with the 255/80r17 RG. I wouldn't do without them even if some say it is okay. Remove 1/2" to that gap and they would be terribly close.

View attachment 29188

Did you use longer studs or were the OEM Studs long enough? Was the spacer hub-centric? Steel or aluminum?

Firebird

Reaction score
Thank you for the picture!
Personally, I would not be comfortable running the tires that close together.
I would have to get a spacer to get them further apart.
I completely understand. Thankfully, the gap doesn't seem to change at all, even with the camper hooked up. I always inspect when hitched up, and monitor pressures.

Cummins0867

Reaction score
Thank you for the picture!
Personally, I would not be comfortable running the tires that close together.
I would have to get a spacer to get them further apart.
I agree....I would think the only place you have to worry about is the bottom where the load is carried....I would also imagine that if the tires are kept at the correct PSI there would be little or no tire flex being 10 ply's. The last thing would be the heat build up with the tires being so close together that the heat wouldn't be able to dissipate. The 1/2" spacer would help these two areas greatly.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Dis you need to trimm the wheel studs to make the spacers fit?
Did you use longer studs or were the OEM Studs long enough? Was the spacer hub-centric? Steel or aluminum?
Studs are stock (at this thickness spacers don't have any studs so no need to cut anything. You use the OEM ones).
Spacers are hub-centric aluminum.

Last edited:

EastCoaster

Reaction score
Studs are stock (at this thickness spacers don't have any studs so no need to cut anything. You use the OEM ones).
Spacers are hub-centric aluminum.

Did you buy the wheel spacers or have them made?
I searched for the 1/2" hub-centric spacers in the 8X200 pattern (142CB), but can't find them.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Did you buy the wheel spacers or have them made?
I searched for the 1/2" hub-centric spacers in the 8X200 pattern (142CB), but can't find them.
Bought those:

There are a bunch of cheaper ones on ebay but I prefered made in the USA.

EastCoaster

Reaction score
Bought those:

Interesting. I was hoping to find hub-centric ones but it might be near impossible.
Never thought to search for the FORD spacers, should have known where RAM's have
the same pattern now.

Edit: Thinking now that you don't need hub-centric because the hub sticks out well past the spacer.

Last edited:

MikeXM

Reaction score
Edit: Thinking now that you don't need hub-centric because the hub sticks out well past the spacer.
Oh, you mean like that... Yep, those are thin spacers compared to those 2in spacers needed on larger wheels. Hub still protrudes to the outside wheel. Anyway, those spacers are 142mm CB like the wheels.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Bought those:

Any pics from the rear of the truck showing how far (if at all) the outside tires stick out past the fenders?

Great idea on the billet spacers. Im trying to decide on 1/4 or 1/2".

MikeXM

Reaction score
Any pics from the rear of the truck showing how far (if at all) the outside tires stick out past the fenders?

Great idea on the billet spacers. Im trying to decide on 1/4 or 1/2".

I don't have a fully square rear picture that show exactly where they sit from the top of the wheel well. Sadly I'm still running my winter tires (oem size) so I can't make one right now either.
But here are two pictures that give a good idea. Basically, tires don't protrude the fender except the thinner lower part. And mud flap covers it all on the rear.

I actually installed the set without a spacer first. After measurements I bought the 1/2in spacers and installed them.

20200828_141623.jpg

20200827_135519.jpg

MikeXM

Reaction score
Good to know. I plan to do the same. Do the 1/4 spacers play nicely with the stock lug studs or do they require longer ones?
EDIT: You could probably do 3/4" with stock studs (depending on your wheels). 1/2" is no brainer.
EDIT: See my post #143.

Last edited:

toyboy1980

Reaction score
I don't have a fully square rear picture that show exactly where they sit from the top of the wheel well. Sadly I'm still running my winter tires (oem size) so I can't make one right now either.
But here are two pictures that give a good idea. Basically, tires don't protrude the fender except the thinner lower part. And mud flap covers it all on the rear.

I actually installed the set without a spacer first. After measurements I bought the 1/2in spacers and installed them.

View attachment 35553

View attachment 35554
Hey @MikeXM - What mud flaps are those? Just got a 2022 3500 Dually and I’m throwing dirt everywhere. Haha.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Hey @MikeXM - What mud flaps are those? Just got a 2022 3500 Dually and I’m throwing dirt everywhere. Haha.
21x24 Gatorback Mud Flaps Rears

This exact set actually:

Users who are viewing this thread