Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019-2022 Dually largest oversized tire on stock wheels/truck?

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the Nexen tires on my 2021, so when my 2022 comes in I think I would like to oversize the tires with a BFG AT KO2 version that would visually fill the wheel wells better. The OEM tire sizes just looks funny to me, it looks to small.

So what can can I do while doing no lift, no level, no spacers while maintaining the OEM alloy alcoa wheels?
So, what wrong with the Nexen tires? They seem to ride (empty and towing) and wear well on my 2020 RAM 3500. But I usually tow under 18K and the longer distances are with my 12K camper.

jeffn

Reaction score
So, what wrong with the Nexen tires? They seem to ride (empty and towing) and wear well on my 2020 RAM 3500. But I usually tow under 18K and the longer distances are with my 12K camper.
they have a pretty bad reputation. My experience is that they wear well, don’t wander, have minimal noise, and have almost no grip at all. I drove through Oklahoma and Texas last year in the big ice storm and these tires were terrifying. While these conditions are extreme and hard on any tire, the mud on my farm is pretty normal stuff and I’m always on the edge of needing my tractor to rescue the truck.

b307a1

Reaction score
they have a pretty bad reputation. My experience is that they wear well, don’t wander, have minimal noise, and have almost no grip at all. I drove through Oklahoma and Texas last year in the big ice storm and these tires were terrifying. While these conditions are extreme and hard on any tire, the mud on my farm is pretty normal stuff and I’m always on the edge of needing my tractor to rescue the truck.
Do you have the all season or the on/off road type?

jeffn

Reaction score
the all-season, a straight highway tire. I can’t fault them too much but I find that they are not good in wet conditions either so basically this is a highway tire for dry weather that gets a lot of tread wear. I’ll switch them out for something a little more grippy but I really want mileage and minimal road noise from anything I put on this truck.

b307a1

Reaction score
the all-season, a straight highway tire. I can’t fault them too much but I find that they are not good in wet conditions either so basically this is a highway tire for dry weather that gets a lot of tread wear. I’ll switch them out for something a little more grippy but I really want mileage and minimal road noise from anything I put on this truck.
Thanks for the insight. I have a chassis cab dually on order, it's my first venture into the dually thing. I was wondering what the folks that have a dually think of the factory tires.

jeffn

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I have a chassis cab dually on order, it's my first venture into the dually thing. I was wondering what the folks that have a dually think of the factory tires.
A lot of owners switch them out before they wear out but I’m okay with the Nexan tires. I would not buy them again but I don’t feel the need to switch them before they wear down

ToeJaM-3500

Reaction score
Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

It's too bad the tire tech didn't understand how to align the tires to the valve stems using the yellow/red marks. Unfortunately there are too many tire techs that have not been properly trained.

Firebird

Reaction score
They do have a bad reputation, but for me, the ride quality seems good, and I’m not sliding in the rain. I’ll put some miles on them, but will replace with a better 255/80/17 when it’s time

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
FWIW, my local Discount Tire would not recommend a tire wider than 245 on our stock 6" dually rims. The 245 limits tire height. Of course, anyone is free to mount wider, taller tires...just not something they recommend.

Firebird

Reaction score
FWIW, my local Discount Tire would not recommend a tire wider than 245 on our stock 6" dually rims. The 245 limits tire height. Of course, anyone is free to mount wider, taller tires...just not something they recommend.
The wouldn't install 255's on mine either, so I went somewhere else

PapaJoe

Reaction score
I've read and re-read this thread and another similar... just seeking clarification and updates....
My future scenario: 1. stock wheels 17x6 wheels. 2. tires > LT255/85R17 A/T Baja Boss from Mickey Thompson (9.8" width and 34" tall installed +/-); will run low end of tire pressures for daily except as needed for towing.
Stock highway tire 235/80R17 has 9.3" width. My math says rear tires would move in .5 each for rear space reduction of 1" with new tires on stock wheels.

Anyone running same or very similar can confirm if you are running WITHOUT a spacer on rears? If yes, what is your spacing?
Anyone have an educated answer to whether I NEED a spacer?

Will Discount Tire install a spacer? Les Schwab?
Anyone gotten either of them to install a 255/85 tire on stock wheel?

Feel free to respond with any other useful info you have.

Firebird

Reaction score
Discount Tire won't install squat! They won't even install a wider tire on a stock rim

Lary0071

Reaction score
I've read and re-read this thread and another similar... just seeking clarification and updates....
My future scenario: 1. stock wheels 17x6 wheels. 2. tires > LT255/85R17 A/T Baja Boss from Mickey Thompson (9.8" width and 34" tall installed +/-); will run low end of tire pressures for daily except as needed for towing.
Stock highway tire 235/80R17 has 9.3" width. My math says rear tires would move in .5 each for rear space reduction of 1" with new tires on stock wheels.

Anyone running same or very similar can confirm if you are running WITHOUT a spacer on rears? If yes, what is your spacing?
Anyone have an educated answer to whether I NEED a spacer?

Will Discount Tire install a spacer? Les Schwab?
Anyone gotten either of them to install a 255/85 tire on stock wheel?

Feel free to respond with any other useful info you have.
If the wheels stay where they are, the tire grows by 0.5" in overall width.
This width means that the edges of the tire (inside and then outside edge of the same tire) grow by 0.25" from the wheel centerline (0.25" both ways from centerline).
So your gap between the pair of mated tires decreases by 0.5".... or 0.25" x 2 tires when refencing the wheel centerline.
Remember, half of that 0.5" total tire width gained is observed on the frame side of the inside tire and on the curb edge of the outside tire, both are gains to do not effect the dually from a sidewall rub perspective.

SFAngus

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what you learn, because I'm planning on doing the exact same thing. I spoke to my local tire shop (not a chain) and they said they were happy to install 255/85/17's on the stock wheels, and they emphasized that I should not do anything that required spacers.

I'm planning on doing it after I get some mileage out of my Nexens.

PapaJoe

Reaction score
If the wheels stay where they are, the tire grows by 0.5" in overall width.
This width means that the edges of the tire (inside and then outside edge of the same tire) grow by 0.25" from the wheel centerline (0.25" both ways from centerline).
So your gap between the pair of mated tires decreases by 0.5".... or 0.25" x 2 tires when refencing the wheel centerline.
Remember, half of that 0.5" total tire width gained is observed on the frame side of the inside tire and on the curb edge of the outside tire, both are gains to do not effect the dually from a sidewall rub perspective.
Good catch! Glad you pointed that out. I'm a lover, not a mathematician. haha.

Last edited:

PapaJoe

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what you learn, because I'm planning on doing the exact same thing. I spoke to my local tire shop (not a chain) and they said they were happy to install 255/85/17's on the stock wheels, and they emphasized that I should not do anything that required spacers.

I'm planning on doing it after I get some mileage out of my Nexens.
As I live where winter can turn ugly, and (1) there is an outside chance I have the truck before winter is officially over here, I am leaning toward just replacing the Nexens immediately so (2) as to keep them close to new when trying to resale them to an interested hotshotter, or otherwise. If anyone is interested in them, I'll have them available sometime around January to March it looks like; located near Fort Collins, CO.

BTW for tire shoppers.... I've had Falken Wildpeaks AT3W tires on two rigs, and Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T 33x12.5x17s on my Jeep. I would not hesitate to put either one on any type of rig. Ever!
I wanted the Baja Boss A/T for the Jeep but they weren't in production yet, so I went with the M/T. Great tire. I am betting the A/T 255/85R17 is the perfect tire for these trucks that are going to be used for their purpose and daily driven too.

Users who are viewing this thread