Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Below is the schematic of trailer tow and trailer surround view camera. You can see that 10 wires will populate the 12-way trailer connector. Positions 1 & 6 is power and ground for the trailer CVPM, and/or Aux cameras 1 & 2. Positions 2 & 3 is CANbus IHS HI and LO for the trailer CVPM. Positions 8, 9, & 10 are for Aux camera 1. Positions 7, 11, & 12 are for Aux camera 2, OR video output from the trailer CVPM.

Here’s the schematic for the digital rear view mirror with tow mode camera. If you were to order a truck that only has the digital rear view mirror, and no tow mode camera, I’m not sure if the wiring for the tow mode camera will be on the truck, and if so, how many sections would be populated. If I had to guess, the headliner sections would be populated, but not the section that includes the bumper connector.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
XN1- Trailer Surround view system- $995.
This is a standalone option, but you must have a package that includes regular truck surround view, and you must have a Uconnect 5 radio. The kit that comes delivered with the truck will have 4 digital cameras, a central vision processing module (CVPM), coax cables to connect the cameras to the CVPM, and the main sections of harness that carry the CVPM’s power, ground, canbus IHS hi/lo, and video output signal (3 wires) to the truck via the 12-pin connector. It is described as “to be installed by the dealer”, and I don’t see any instructions for the kit, so curious to see some that gets this post up the instructions that should be included. I’m sure it involves mounting the cameras on the 4 sides within a certain height range of each other, and calibrating the cameras to the CVPM using fixed points they are looking at.

XFQ- Mopar trailer camera wiring with no camera- $515 ($695 on some build tool sites).
This is the Aux 1&2 trailer camera wiring prep for the truck only, which preps the truck with the 12/7-pin trailer connectors. The kit that has the wiring for the trailer, that plugs into the 12-way truck connector, and one analog camera, is sold separately. A second camera is available separately from that kit. These are just observation cameras that can be mounted anywhere, and you can toggle between the two via the Aux 1&2 camera soft keys on the radio screen.

All the build sites will let you select both XFQ and XN1, but if you have both, it is only possible to use one Aux camera. This is because one of the two aux cameras uses the same video input on the radio as the CVPM for the trailer surround view uses.
Good stuff. Thanks Jimmy

So the XN1 option comes with the camera and all the wiring. Good to know. Also explains why it's so expensive.

I did select that option. Sounds like it's gonna be a pain to install and only good for use on one trailer, which is fine. I'm putting it on a camper. I do wonder how permanent the instal of the camera to the trailer will be?

Does the XH7 option also come with its own camera that is customer mounted to the trailer? Or is the camera purchased separately and/or dealer mounted?

Ickabod

Reaction score
...All the build sites will let you select both XFQ and XN1, but if you have both, it is only possible to use one Aux camera. This is because one of the two aux cameras uses the same video input on the radio as the CVPM for the trailer surround view uses.
Can you even order both? If you order XN1, don't you already get the wiring for an AUX 1 camera? I was told by the dealer that "Mopar Trailer Camera Wiring w/No Camera is not combinable with the Tow-Mode Digital Rearview Mirror Package or either of the Equipment packages (laramie level A or B)". This doesn't make since to me considering what @Jimmy07 stated above. I plan on getting UC5, truck surround view, trailer surround view and tow-mode package. I would like to have the option for another AUX 1 camera, so do I need XFQ?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Can you even order both? If you order XN1, don't you already get the wiring for an AUX 1 camera?
According to the build sites, you are allowed to select both. Whether or not someone has actually ordered (or tried to order) both, I’m not sure. If you order XN1 only, I’m not sure if the wiring for the Aux 1 camera would be present in the 12-pin trailer connector (positions 8,9,10).
I was told by the dealer that "Mopar Trailer Camera Wiring w/No Camera is not combinable with the Tow-Mode Digital Rearview Mirror Package or either of the Equipment packages (laramie level A or B)"
All I can tell you, is that from a technical standpoint, there is no reason that the two can’t coexist. They are completely separate, and different features. All the build sites allow you to select both. For the 2022 ordering, it’s hard to say what is available or not because they seem to be constantly changing packages and options based on supply. There have been multiple instances in the thread where someone says “my dealer wasn’t able to combine this and this”, and another member would reply “strange, I was just able to order that same combo with my dealer today”.

Icky

Reaction score
According to the build sites, you are allowed to select both. Whether or not someone has actually ordered (or tried to order) both, I’m not sure. If you order XN1 only, I’m not sure if the wiring for the Aux 1 camera would be present in the 12-pin trailer connector (positions 8,9,10).

All I can tell you, is that from a technical standpoint, there is no reason that the two can’t coexist. They are completely separate, and different features. All the build sites allow you to select both. For the 2022 ordering, it’s hard to say what is available or not because they seem to be constantly changing packages and options based on supply. There have been multiple instances in the thread where someone says “my dealer wasn’t able to combine this and this”, and another member would reply “strange, I was just able to order that same combo with my dealer today”.
That seems to be my issue, the dealer is showing XN1 grayed out on my limited build.

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy07,

I appreciate the clarification. It does still concern me about the bumper only location thus far. I'm sure I can physically move the connection point due to the bumper needing longer wires than the gooseneck. The connector looks like a large coax.

As far as trailer surround I may challenge myself later to add this. Based off your description the system appears to be Dealer level modifiable. Have you figured out if XN1 actually includes the 12 pin socket prep wiring? Would make the XN1 price much more appealing. So the physical 12pin wiring is the same between (aux 1,2) and XN1 using 1 camera line. I cant help but think the Uconnect can only be configured to either (aux 1,2) inputs, or (1 aux, and trailer surround). The icons on the Uconnect should differ based on configuration regardless of what is physically plugged in.

I do have a question as to the xfq aux wire up fit kits. I have seen the kit for the box and the main kit for the dash to bumper. What I cannot discern is if a splitter is included to make both locations workable. The factory installed appears to have both so there is a way. I just cant discern if the two up fit kits together provide the parts. (Post #19 said manually change, you mean like behind the bumper bed change the one input)

Last edited:

AFF

Reaction score
I ordered the XN1 and the mirror on my Larimie 3500 build. I guess the mirror won't be much good to me other than using it without a trailer as it's not compatible with XN1.
1631218835735.png

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I ordered the XN1 and the mirror on my Larimie 3500 build. I guess the mirror won't be much good to me other than using it without a trailer as it's not compatible with XN1.
View attachment 21665
YES, XN1 IS compatible with AVF. This is what I have been explaining. These are two completely different features. XN1 is a surround view system that will display in the radio screen. It will give you a 360 birds eye view of the trailer on the radio screen when traveling under 8mph, just like the truck surround view system. AVF will have a SEPARATE camera than the 4 cameras that come with the XN1 system that you can mount…wherever you want. THAT camera can display in the rear view mirror at all times, if you want it to.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

On a limited build, selecting XFQ removes Limited level 1/Tow Tech and XN1.

Selecting XN1 removes XFQ and forces Limited level 1/Tow tech.

(carbooks.com)

1631221582290.png

Adding XH7 to Tow Tech requires adding Digital mirror or Safety Group.

1631221718006.png

By my logic, Tow Tech (also included in Limited L1) is what adds the 12-pin.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 21665

Just add the XH7 if you can. If it's too late, someone will probably figure out how to add/extend it. I know someone has already extended their 2021 digital mirror with off the shelf fakra cables and camera. There's a writeup here somewhere.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
On a limited build, selecting XFQ removes Limited level 1/Tow Tech and XN1.
This must be specific to the limited, for no other reason than they want it this way. Seems they allow XFQ and XN1 on Laramies and Big Horns, but not limiteds or tradesman.
Adding XH7 to Tow Tech requires adding Digital mirror or Safety Group.
Since XH7 is only the separate wired tow mode camera kit that you mount on a trailer, and it can only display in the digital rear view mirror, it is required to have the digital rear view mirror or a package that includes it (which is included in the safety group).
Selecting XN1 removes XFQ and forces Limited level 1/Tow tech.
Surround view on the truck is a requirement to have XN1 trailer surround view, which is why selecting XN1 forces Limited level 1.
By my logic, Tow Tech (also included in Limited L1) is what adds the 12-pin.
Same as above- these two packages include truck surround view, which is a requirement to have XN1. Only XN1 or XFQ would prep the 12/7-pin connector on the truck.

hotrodssisco

Reaction score
Much needed info! Jimmy, Brutal, thanks! This is what's holding up finalizing my order for two weeks.
Seems Dealer said selection of XN1 Trailer Tow kicks out A69 Limited level 1 and vice versa. At least that was the way it was explained to me, will follow up with him tomorrow. XH7=trailer rearview camera; separate connection to display in digital rearview w/ A69=Limited Level 1.
Level 1 includes 12 pin plug, but still do not know why he says it kicks out XN1 Trailer Surround.
After 3rd Ram not surprised ("yes, it comes with an engine block heater but no plug") in the past, but seems to be worse. Like taking a restaurant order "I'd like tomato and onion with that please".. "Well, we can place the order but the onion may kick out the tomato, and we don't know if the onion is red or white". Seems they could make the process less stressful and more profitable if the sales force knew & didn't have to rely on their Customers research..

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Same as above- these two packages include truck surround view, which is a requirement to have XN1. Only XN1 or XFQ would prep the 12/7-pin connector on the truck.

Great point and one I think is key.

Do you believe that selecting XFQ, it's wired the same as shown in the schematic regardless to accept XN1 if it was added after the fact?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Much needed info! Jimmy, Brutal, thanks! This is what's holding up finalizing my order for two weeks.
Seems Dealer said selection of XN1 Trailer Tow kicks out A69 Limited level 1 and vice versa. At least that was the way it was explained to me, will follow up with him tomorrow. XH7=trailer rearview camera; separate connection to display in digital rearview w/ A69=Limited Level 1.
Level 1 includes 12 pin plug, but still do not know why he says it kicks out XN1 Trailer Surround.
After 3rd Ram not surprised ("yes, it comes with an engine block heater but no plug") in the past, but seems to be worse. Like taking a restaurant order "I'd like tomato and onion with that please".. "Well, we can place the order but the onion may kick out the tomato, and we don't know if the onion is red or white". Seems they could make the process less stressful and more profitable if the sales force knew & didn't have to rely on their Customers research..

I think what Jimmy is saying is you need to select either XFQ or XN1 to get the 12-pin camera connection.

Seeing as the XN1 is $500 more than XFQ, that makes the 4 cams + CVPM box a pretty good deal.

FWIW, I was able to run a Laramie build and selected ONLY XFQ and it added nothing else. I guess the (Analog) Aux camera doesn't require a 360° package?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Do you believe that selecting XFQ, it's wired the same as shown in the schematic regardless to accept XN1 if it was added after the fact?
You would think, to keep the number of different truck harness family part numbers simple, that selecting XFQ would have all 10 possible wires populated in the 12-pin trailer connector, but I’m not sure how they’ll play that one. They might prep the truck with the exact same XFQ wiring as they did for 2020-2021, which would not include the canbus wires necessary for XN1 in positions 2&3 on the 12-pin. And, conversely, if you only get XN1, they might not include wires prepped in positions 8,9,&10 for an aux camera on the 12-pin.
Right now, the biggest challenge to retrofitting XN1 on a truck not originally equipped with it is getting the settings for it enabled in the BCM. They are not there in AlfaOBD yet, and Ram has already said “this option can’t be added after”, which means they won’t make the sales code available to dealer techs on wiTECH.
If ANYTHING, I would get XN1, and not worry about XFQ. That way, the MOST you would have to do if you wanted to add an aux camera is populate 3 wires, and enable the aux trailer camera setting that we already know exists in AlfaOBD.

FWIW, I was able to run a Laramie build and selected ONLY XFQ and it added nothing else. I guess the (Analog) Aux camera doesn't require a 360° package?
I wouldn’t think so. In previous years, the only requirement for having XFQ added was that you needed to choose at least one of the 8.4 radios (because the 5” radios don’t have the aux camera input capabilities).

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You would think, to keep the number of different truck harness family part numbers simple, that selecting XFQ would have all 10 possible wires populated in the 12-pin trailer connector, but I’m not sure how they’ll play that one. They might prep the truck with the exact same XFQ wiring as they did for 2020-2021, which would not include the canbus wires necessary for XN1 in positions 2&3 on the 12-pin. And, conversely, if you only get XN1, they might not include wires prepped in positions 8,9,&10 for an aux camera on the 12-pin.
Right now, the biggest challenge to retrofitting XN1 on a truck not originally equipped with it is getting the settings for it enabled in the BCM. They are not there in AlfaOBD yet, and Ram has already said “this option can’t be added after”, which means they won’t make the sales code available to dealer techs on wiTECH.
If ANYTHING, I would get XN1, and not worry about XFQ. That way, the MOST you would have to do if you wanted to add an aux camera is populate 3 wires, and enable the aux trailer camera setting that we already know exists in AlfaOBD.

I wouldn’t think so. In previous years, the only requirement for having XFQ added was that you needed to choose at least one of the 8.4 radios (because the 5” radios don’t have the aux camera input capabilities).

That all makes perfect sense.

Thanks as always for all the expertise and knowledge you share on this and MANY other forums.

Combra6589

Reaction score
I didn’t want to clog the 22 order page since this is about cameras but does anyone here know how to keep the rear/cargo cam on for more than 10 seconds at a time while driving?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I didn’t want to clog the 22 order page since this is about cameras but does anyone here know how to keep the rear/cargo cam on for more than 10 seconds at a time while driving?

JLines

Reaction score
Ok, this is great thread ... but I'm still trying to figure out options. I currently have a 2016 Ram that I have installed the RVS rear view mirror and then installed cameras toward the front facing back on each side of my 5th wheel and then one camera on the back. I can switch between which camera or combination or cameras I want via a pushbutton stuck on the dash. Basically, I can switch between the bed camera, trailer rear view, either trailer side or there are also two combinations split screens where rear view is shown with left or right camera in appropriate location on mirror display. I have a single connector cable with jack in the side of the bed.
I like that the digital mirror supports rear view camera in the manner I would like so I believe that is a definite for me. When I look in rear view mirror, I want to see what is behind me, not the front of a trailer and hate the add on wireless rearview cameras they include on 5th wheels.
It also seems I could order the XFQ option and just build an adapter from my current camera cable to view the two side view cameras I already have.
Or the other option is XN1 Trailer Surround View really sounds like the ultimate ... but those 4 cameras would need to be mounted on the trailer. I wouldn't think this would be anything the dealer would even want to mess with. It also appears this works with the video screen for the uConnect so with the digital rear view mirror ... 5 camera would be getting installed on the trailer ... one would be visible in the rear view mirror when trailer is connected and the other 4 would be part of overall Surround View system in uConnect. I believe that is disabled once you hit 8 MPH so would not be able to be used as replacement for rear view mirror anyway.
Does that pretty much sum up things. It would be interesting if the 7" TFT dash display could show left and right side of the trailer in split screen.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ok, this is great thread ... but I'm still trying to figure out options. I currently have a 2016 Ram that I have installed the RVS rear view mirror and then installed cameras toward the front facing back on each side of my 5th wheel and then one camera on the back. I can switch between which camera or combination or cameras I want via a pushbutton stuck on the dash. Basically, I can switch between the bed camera, trailer rear view, either trailer side or there are also two combinations split screens where rear view is shown with left or right camera in appropriate location on mirror display. I have a single connector cable with jack in the side of the bed.
I like that the digital mirror supports rear view camera in the manner I would like so I believe that is a definite for me. When I look in rear view mirror, I want to see what is behind me, not the front of a trailer and hate the add on wireless rearview cameras they include on 5th wheels.
It also seems I could order the XFQ option and just build an adapter from my current camera cable to view the two side view cameras I already have.
Or the other option is XN1 Trailer Surround View really sounds like the ultimate ... but those 4 cameras would need to be mounted on the trailer. I wouldn't think this would be anything the dealer would even want to mess with. It also appears this works with the video screen for the uConnect so with the digital rear view mirror ... 5 camera would be getting installed on the trailer ... one would be visible in the rear view mirror when trailer is connected and the other 4 would be part of overall Surround View system in uConnect. I believe that is disabled once you hit 8 MPH so would not be able to be used as replacement for rear view mirror anyway.
Does that pretty much sum up things. It would be interesting if the 7" TFT dash display could show left and right side of the trailer in split screen.
I can’t see how a CJDR dealer would get involved with installing something like XN1 on a trailer, either. The description only mentions “to be installed by dealer”, so it could very well mean the trailer dealer.
If XN1 is going to operate the same as the regular truck surround view, the only two views that can’t be pulled up when going over 8mph are the forward camera, and the surround view (overhead 360 view). The rear view and side camera views can still be pulled up for 10 seconds at a time at any speed.
I’m not sure if XFQ can handle an aftermarket multi-camera system like you are describing you have. I’m sure your current one has some type of video switcher, or process module for the various cameras, and the Aux camera soft key in the radio probably can’t cycle through the different cameras. It might be able to pull up the last view, but you would probably still have to use the manual switch to cycle through them once pulled up.

Users who are viewing this thread