Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your gun is poop

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Just a little curious here. And you have to realize I'm a wheel gun guy at heart. I do own one semi in 40 S&W. But I just have to ask about the cans. They seem so big when they're the size of the gun itself. So am I to assume handguns are like women? The bigger the can the hotter they are? Or what?
Smol ones are hot too

IMG_2126.jpeg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a little curious here. And you have to realize I'm a wheel gun guy at heart. I do own one semi in 40 S&W. But I just have to ask about the cans. They seem so big when they're the size of the gun itself. So am I to assume handguns are like women? The bigger the can the hotter they are? Or what?

Volume = sound suppression.

As for the squarish Osprey, offsetting the volume means better suppression without (in most cases) requireing taller suppressor sights.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
They just look awkward to shoot. My first revolver years ago was 10.5" barrel and I couldn't hit a truck with it at 20 yards. I have a short barrel gun now, 3" I think, in 357 that I can shoot lights out with.

So are any of these huge can guns actually tack drivers?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Went out and exercised my 2nd amendment rights today. Put about 300 rounds thru my 2 new toys. Revolver is perfect. Single hand 6 rounds, got 4 on target at 30 yards out of the box.
Lever action, did the same at 60 yards.
I like these new toys. All on iron sights.
20230729_130014.jpg

Cousin brought out a few of his toys as well.
20230729_130022.jpg

Was fun teaching the youngins how to load and shoot a single action revolver.

Attachments

• 20230729_130022.jpg
    20230729_130022.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
They just look awkward to shoot. My first revolver years ago was 10.5" barrel and I couldn't hit a truck with it at 20 yards. I have a short barrel gun now, 3" I think, in 357 that I can shoot lights out with.

Silencer doesn't affect accuracy, only a shift in POA - POI.

I took a Bull Elk last year with my silenced 700P LTR. Elk on the trot at 275 yds, me standing. Heart shot, dropped him like a sack O taters.

Most of the time, it's not about the gun, it's about the operator.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Silencer doesn't affect accuracy, only a shift in POA - POI.

I took a Bull Elk last year with my silenced 700P LTR. Elk on the trot at 275 yds, me standing. Heart shot, dropped him like a sack O taters.

Most of the time, it's not about the gun, it's about the operator.
No problems with the rifle, I was just wondering more about longer handguns. Maybe a shorter barrel gun plus silencer doesn't react the same as a longer barreled gun. I don't know, never had the opportunity to try it. And on the other hand, I guess when I pull a trigger I want to make some noise!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

A 2.5” barrel 22lr isn’t a tack driver to begin with. My m&p compact ~4” barrel is pretty dang accurate.

Personally Don’t see any difference with a can at handgun plinking distances

Rifle seems to be more accurate with a can from what I’ve goofed around with. That’s ver unscientific data and 22 can vary wildly to begin with. Subsonic rounds have more bullet drop but repeatability seems better.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Your optic is poop

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Your optic is poop

Ouch, I thought the Vortex was pricey.

I do regret (for being an idiot) and getting a 2MOA dot for my plinker 22 and not something that's easier to locate for others that want to shoot it and don't have the muscle memory.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Ouch, I thought the Vortex was pricey.

I do regret (for being an idiot) and getting a 2MOA dot for my plinker 22 and not something that's easier to locate for others that want to shoot it and don't have the muscle memory.
Yeah they're super expensive. And pretty much doing what Holosun has been doing for a good amount of time now.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I dunno about the mounting system for the closed emitter one.

I’ve had a few pistols with red dots on them and I keep selling them. I still like iron sights better and I’m not even a boomer

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I’ve had a few pistols with red dots on them and I keep selling them. I still like iron sights better and I’m not even a boomer

I've noticed fewer optics on pistols at IDPA/USPCA matches this year than in the last few years. I think the novelty is kinda wearing off on folks and alot of people are going back to traditional sights.

I upgraded my competition pistol to fiber-optic sights and I think it's a better upgrade than the Vortex red dot I have on my compact carry gun.

jetrinka

Reaction score
lol I've been the opposite. Have a dot on a P365XL I carried for a short time. Liked the dot but not really the pistol. Went back to irons on a different gun. Love the pistol - frustrated with irons. Pistol is off getting re-finished and cut for an RMR footprint now.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
lol I've been the opposite. Have a dot on a P365XL I carried for a short time. Liked the dot but not really the pistol. Went back to irons on a different gun. Love the pistol - frustrated with irons. Pistol is off getting re-finished and cut for an RMR footprint now.
I’ve been eyeing these new threaded optic ready 5.7 pistols and thinking a 5.7 with a red dot would be a lot of fun. So, I may try another.

Users who are viewing this thread