Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Y43 Recall PM Sensor for 22 Pickups

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Installing this "missing" sensor has nothing to due with usage it just completes the sensor loop for the DEF system.

DEF and particulate matter are two completely different systems.

The PM sensor deals with the DPF, not the SCR.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
I'm also curious what the issues could be if this isn't completed. I'm not asking if they will continue to send notice but what mechanical or system issues could arise long term.
Ditto on the cutiousity. What does the sensor do? What is the impact of not having it and not having the PCM looking for it? Are we better off without it? Seems to me the fewer sensors in the exhaust systems, the better.

Babyzodi824

Reaction score
Ditto on the cutiousity. What does the sensor do? What is the impact of not having it and not having the PCM looking for it? Are we better off without it? Seems to me the fewer sensors in the exhaust systems, the better.
We were told that if the sensor isn’t there, your truck might not be re-Jenning like it supposed to and if that’s the case, I wonder if they the dealerships would be responsible for cleaning the DPF systems out we took ours in two weeks ago because it was showing that the filter was partially full The dealership charged us $1700 to clean it all out and here we are two weeks later the DPF says 100% full and the power has been cut back . If the center really doesn’t have anything to do with anything I don’t understand why this filter has filled back up in two weeks. Something don’t make sense here which I’m pretty sure we have a crooked dealership but we are going to a new dealership this week for the placement
of the sensor . We will find out, hopefully something from the same dealership.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
We were told that if the sensor isn’t there, your truck might not be re-Jenning like it supposed to and if that’s the case, I wonder if they the dealerships would be responsible for cleaning the DPF systems out we took ours in two weeks ago because it was showing that the filter was partially full The dealership charged us $1700 to clean it all out and here we are two weeks later the DPF says 100% full and the power has been cut back . If the center really doesn’t have anything to do with anything I don’t understand why this filter has filled back up in two weeks. Something don’t make sense here which I’m pretty sure we have a crooked dealership but we are going to a new dealership this week for the placement

How many miles on your truck?

What all was done for $1700?

Cseybert

Reaction score
Are you out of warranty?

Cseybert

Reaction score
We have just powertrain according to the dealership
  • Emissions Performance Warranty:Related to the Federal Emissions Warranty, this coverage lasts the same length of time (two years or 24,000 miles generally and eight years or 80,000 for special components) but covers the cost of repairing or adjusting components that may be needed to pass federal emissions or approved state and local emissions tests. Using it requires a failure notice and your vehicle has to be unmodified and properly maintained at the time of the failure.

ShowKiller1

Reaction score
Got my Y43 recall notice last week. I will have them do it the next time i take it in for an oil change

WhoKnows

Reaction score
Brought in my rig for the intake air heater relay and talked about the PM recall. Tech also agreed that I should not bother with it. One of the things that flashing the PCM is extended crank time when starting. Eluded to other issues he has not witnessed. That sealed it for me, not doing it!
On another note, there was around 20 large boxes with brand new CP3 fuel pumps.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Brought in my rig for the intake air heater relay and talked about the PM recall. Tech also agreed that I should not bother with it. One of the things that flashing the PCM is extended crank time when starting. Eluded to other issues he has not witnessed. That sealed it for me, not doing it!
On another note, there was around 20 large boxes with brand new CP3 fuel pumps.

I haven't noticed a single difference with the Y43 recall. The extended crank was already there, and it's not any different.

Remember this PM sensor has been used on more trucks since 19 than those that didn't get it. There is nothing new to the PCM update.

WhoKnows

Reaction score
No doubt this sensor has been used on many trucks, and all it does is monitor what particulates may get by the filter and burn off any particulates it may collect after every sample. Still have to update PCM to use it, otherwise it wouldn't be part of the steps outlined in the Dealer Service Instructions under section B. Reprogramming the PCM Procedure.
It wouldn't bother me in the least to have it but truck runs great so why mess with it and risk other issues, at least that's how I feel.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Of course you have to update the PCM, the software has to be enabled/loaded to monitor the sensor.

Nothing wrong from a PCM update, often times small bugs and software issues are also fixed.

Its very rare for a software update on a modern rig to produce negative results.

StrayCat

Reaction score
Thanks for the extra pic's , ill crawl back under mine and look again

im in for an oil change in early October, maybe I should get it done then .

id like it if it used less DEF after this recall, especially in winter mine drinks DEF in winter like a fighter jet drinks fuel. Summer its really good on DEF. 9000km and 3 jugs of DEF. most of that was 6000km in March , April , May with some towing in there. March/April was still awfully cold here. Hardly used any DEF since May.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Any clear knowledge on what this sensor does and/or how not having it might affect your truck?

Mobrules

Reaction score
I am also curious what effect not having this sensor has on a truck already a year old. It uses def like normal.

Firebird

Reaction score
I received the recall notice for the missing sensor, and mine is a 2021, what gives? I thought that only pertained to 2022 models?

Jay P

Reaction score
Any clear knowledge on what this sensor does and/or how not having it might affect your truck?
It makes sure the DPF is working and it doesn't have any affect on the DPF function or regens. It does the equivalent of the post catalytic converter O2 sensor on a gas engine.

Users who are viewing this thread