Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Nightmare Already

thestuarts

Reaction score
That could very well be too much for even a 3500 SRW longhorn megacab.

The payload of my 2019 3500 HO SRW Laramie megacab is 3869 lbs. I agree with you, @archer75, a 13,360 lb trailer would probably exceed the payload capacity of my truck.

I put a spreadsheet on my Google Drive that I used to determine if I'm exceeding the payload capacity.

Payload.jpg

Last edited:

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Haha, I guess I should have said then I need to find a trailer to purchase.

It would take a lot of effort to lose the Airstream we’re planning on getting, it being a 30’ long silver spaceship and all.

We rented a 30ft FC for a week.. not too shabby... though I'm not a fan of the interior...

jsalbre

Reaction score
We rented a 30ft FC for a week.. not too shabby... though I'm not a fan of the interior...

I agree on the FC. The laminate countertops and the seating material don’t do it for me.

We’re looking most likely at the International Serenity, or potentially the Globetrotter if the 30’s ever make it to dealers.

Lary0071

Reaction score
Wow. I read all of the posts. So poor Hoff still does not have a clue what his actual pin weight is. He is buying a truck assuming payload based off of the advertised payload, a number that represents the max possible payload of a bare/stripped unit with a 150 LB driver and a half tank of fuel. His truck will in no way have similar payload numbers.... he will have to wait until it shows up and open the drivers door to gaze upon that yellow sticker of truth.

Once you buy the mystery truck, you really need to get to a set of CAT or other certified scales and drop the trailer in the lot. Go get the trucks axle weights and empty weight as is, after you jam all of your normal personal junk into every storage area, have your tool box loaded like normal and anything else that resides in the truck during your normal life. This will give you YOUR "unloaded" weight. Subtract this from your gross of the truck to get the payload. But pay attention as well to the individual axle weights, they are listed in the silver sticker in the drivers door jam. Take paper and pen with you! Pull off and run in and grab your slip, this should be around $12.

Now go across the lot and back under the trailer that is fully loaded out for a typical adventure. Go back to the scale with the fully loaded trailer and get the 3 weights, truck front axle, truck rear axle and the trailer axles. Now you will learn what that actual pin weight is. Camper/trailer advertised pin/tongue weights are typically grossly low compared to what the user actually sees as reality on the scales. Pull off and run back in and grab your slip, this should be around $2.50.

So now you can see what the rear axle load went to, you can see if the rear axle gross on the silver sticker is exceeded, you can see if the payload (total of both front and rear axles) exceeds the truck gross, you can see if the trailer is overloaded on its axles/tires and you can determine total trailer weight as well as percentage of trailer gross that is tongue weight.

The issue I see is that Hoff does not like the reality that Devil Dodge and others are trying to share with him, instead he loves advertising materials that have little or no truth to the actual machine he is buying (sight unseen). He is also not considering that many of us who haul RV campers load the bed with wood, carry tools, take passengers and dogs and drag along other "things". Everything adds weight.

I just traded my 2017 1500 Rebel for my 2019 2500 Bighorn because of realities and cat scales. I do not have nearly the heavy unit he does, I have an Apex Ultralite 289TBSS that has an advertised tongue weight of around 760 if I recall correctly. My cat scale slips told me that I was actually close to 1,600 lbs tongue weight, and that was no food/drinks, just bedding and the dry/canned goods that stay in the camper all summer. My Ram 1500 was 1,074 payload.... so I kicked it to the used lot real fast and went to a 2500 with 2900-ish payload (per the yellow sticker) and my wife and I changed our packing method so that all cases of water/beer went to the rear bunkhouse so as to lift tongue weight.

I'll be re-weighing the setup this spring with my 2500, I suspect that I will be just fine. I do use a Equalizer 10K WDH/Sway Control, and I did weigh with and without that hooked up on my 1500. This is attached as a PDF below.

Attachments

• CAT Scale Weights.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 27

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I agree on the FC. The laminate countertops and the seating material don’t do it for me.

We’re looking most likely at the International Serenity, or potentially the Globetrotter if the 30’s ever make it to dealers.

We really like the Serenity as well.. the biggest thing for us is the vast sea of uninterrupted 'golden brown' wood... nothing to make it visually interesting.

Jeffmc306

Reaction score

We traded a 2018 FC23FB for a 2019 27’ Globetrotter with Corian countertops. Dear wife said “I don’t even have Corian in my kitchen!” The Globetrotter does away with the bland honey color from the Flying Cloud; we could’ve be happier.

Good luck with finding your special trailer!
53E19C29-24DA-4B5A-87F2-56D751B1BB0B.jpeg

jsalbre

Reaction score
We traded a 2018 FC23FB for a 2019 27’ Globetrotter with Corian countertops. Dear wife said “I don’t even have Corian in my kitchen!” The Globetrotter does away with the bland honey color from the Flying Cloud; we could’ve be happier.

View attachment 2467

Nice! We’re actually flying to Tampa tomorrow morning (yay airline miles) to go to the RV Supershow this weekend. Hoping to see the GT 30 and maybe some others.

foneguy

Reaction score

I LOVE that demonico red on your truck! red is mine and my sons colors, he disowmed me for my granit color i call it gun metal grey

and i tell ya i am always impress of the looks of airstreams! nice lookin rigs you have

foneguy

Reaction score
This is what we fell in love with! went and looked at it at least 7 times over one summer and at the rv show in 2017 for the size of this coach it is quite light, ill be hitting the scales this spring,
sportsman 344BH
IMG_1276.PNG

IMG_1277.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_1299.jpg
    IMG_1299.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 26

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Nice! We’re actually flying to Tampa tomorrow morning (yay airline miles) to go to the RV Supershow this weekend. Hoping to see the GT 30 and maybe some others.

There is also an Airstream dealer in Tampa if you don't see anything you like at the show...

outdoorfun002

Reaction score
So i finally found the pin weight for my 5th wheel when i input those number i am at almost maxed out. the pin weight published will this weight go up as you load the 5th wheel or is that number the max if you max the max weight out on the 5th wheel?

Wileykid

Reaction score
So i finally found the pin weight for my 5th wheel when i input those number i am at almost maxed out. the pin weight published will this weight go up as you load the 5th wheel or is that number the max if you max the max weight out on the 5th wheel?

The weight they have in the brochures, are for a trailer that does not have any propane tanks/battery, generator, and anything else that is not screwed in. You can usually add 300+ lbs to the pin/hitch weight for a more realistic weight before you put anything in it. Every trailer manufacturer does it, just like that unicorn truck that every truck manufacturer advertises as being able to tow an ungodly weight. One of the best ways to figure if your truck will handle the trailer is to figure out the pin weight at max weight, which should be about 20%.

A number of years ago, I bought a 3/4 ton truck in anticipation of getting a 5th wheel, found out how much they really can't handle, and ended up with a TT. Now have a 1 ton in anticipation of upgrading to a 5th in the near future.

outdoorfun002

Reaction score
The weight they have in the brochures, are for a trailer that does not have any propane tanks/battery, generator, and anything else that is not screwed in. You can usually add 300+ lbs to the pin/hitch weight for a more realistic weight before you put anything in it. Every trailer manufacturer does it, just like that unicorn truck that every truck manufacturer advertises as being able to tow an ungodly weight. One of the best ways to figure if your truck will handle the trailer is to figure out the pin weight at max weight, which should be about 20%.

A number of years ago, I bought a 3/4 ton truck in anticipation of getting a 5th wheel, found out how much they really can't handle, and ended up with a TT. Now have a 1 ton in anticipation of upgrading to a 5th in the near future.

Yes i have a 2019 2500 mega cab have 2650 payload, I was told when i purchased the 5th wheel the pin weight was going to be around 1500 so i figured i would be good to go. I wasn't able to find the pin weight online before i bought but have since found it and that weight is like 2200 now. So now i am thinking i am going to have to upgrade my truck which isn't what i was ready to do but afraid of blowing my air bags out when going on vacation. I think i can get away with single wheel but think i should probably go with a dually. Only issue with that is that we are not full timers and I use my truck as a daily driver, I can't imagine driving a dually back and forth to work every day so will probably have to get another vehicle to go to work. Lot of extra cost pisses me off that the dealers and manufactors can't be up front with their numbers.

Wileykid

Reaction score
Yes i have a 2019 2500 mega cab have 2650 payload, I was told when i purchased the 5th wheel the pin weight was going to be around 1500 so i figured i would be good to go. I wasn't able to find the pin weight online before i bought but have since found it and that weight is like 2200 now. So now i am thinking i am going to have to upgrade my truck which isn't what i was ready to do but afraid of blowing my air bags out when going on vacation. I think i can get away with single wheel but think i should probably go with a dually. Only issue with that is that we are not full timers and I use my truck as a daily driver, I can't imagine driving a dually back and forth to work every day so will probably have to get another vehicle to go to work. Lot of extra cost pisses me off that the dealers and manufactors can't be up front with their numbers.

I had an almost carbon copy experience of what you are going through. Ended up with a 10K bumper pull toy hauler, which the truck could handle weight wise. I just upgraded my truck to a 3500 SRW as I am now looking at getting a 5th. I have no problems personally with SRW as long as I stay below about 14-15K lbs. Anything over that, and would want a dually.

Users who are viewing this thread