Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Nightmare Already

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
So I was towing my 5th wheel 13360 lbs with my 2500 today and had over 1400 miles on it so felt it wasn’t ready. Now I was driving on a highway that I never drove on before and was following another RV about 63-67 mph. Well we hit a dip which made the truck and trailer bounce. During the bouncy I heard a loud pop. First I thought it was the cooler in bed bounce but then the ride got real rough. Lost complete rear air suspension and about 30 seconds later “Warning, service Air Suspension immediately.”
Dealership I went to after limping 40 miles at 50 they said I blew an air bag or air hose and wouldn’t know until tomorrow. He said you might have to file this on insurance as an accident claim because it wouldn’t be covered under warranty!! Thoughts or anyone else have issues with air ride suspension? Already wanting to add heavy duty shocks or something too.

Zinga

Reaction score
I've been asking and no one had an answer regarding the spring rate, or any visible differences on the rear suspension with the auto-level compared to one without. Granted, I was asking about a 3500 DRW but I guess there is very little knowledge of the rear and little interest on counting leafs.

Based on what you described, it appears that the rear air supplements the rear spring rate and does more than level it out. It sounds as if you lost suspension travel after the auto-level system lost pressure. I was wondering what would happen if the air suspension had a problem, as in no air pressure. Now I know.

I wonder what kind of failure would occur if a 3500 DRW had approximately 5k lbs in the rear, had the auto level suspension, and a failure occurred in the air system. Would the rear suspension immediately bottom out? Or would the truck just lower in the rear and still have suspension travel?

Anyways, bummer about the problem.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Blown bag on air suspension ride. $1900 fix but concerned it happening again so building another without air suspension ride but got lucky found one about 200 miles away so hoping they can do a dealer trade with one of their other trucks.

texas.yankee

Reaction score
I've been asking and no one had an answer regarding the spring rate, or any visible differences on the rear suspension with the auto-level compared to one without. Granted, I was asking about a 3500 DRW but I guess there is very little knowledge of the rear and little interest on counting leafs.

Based on what you described, it appears that the rear air supplements the rear spring rate and does more than level it out. It sounds as if you lost suspension travel after the auto-level system lost pressure. I was wondering what would happen if the air suspension had a problem, as in no air pressure. Now I know.

I wonder what kind of failure would occur if a 3500 DRW had approximately 5k lbs in the rear, had the auto level suspension, and a failure occurred in the air system. Would the rear suspension immediately bottom out? Or would the truck just lower in the rear and still have suspension travel?

Anyways, bummer about the problem.

2500 with factory air don't have springs in the back at all. Airbag only. So if you blow your bag then you lose your suspension, I imagine....

AS for the 3500 with factory air, that increases 1 coil link in the front, and then there are 2 leafs + overload (vs 4 leaf + overload). At least this is what I have come to learn via the interwebs...

My 2500 with air doesn't have coils in the back at all.

Omarf4

Reaction score
Blown bag on air suspension ride. $1900 fix but concerned it happening again so building another without air suspension ride but got lucky found one about 200 miles away so hoping they can do a dealer trade with one of their other trucks.
So warranty isn’t covering?

If you are towing within limits of truck, how do they not cover the blown air bag?

Zinga

Reaction score

If you are towing within limits of truck, how do they not cover the blown air bag?
Hoff might have been towing this:

Bummer

Last edited:

Zinga

Reaction score
2500 with factory air don't have springs in the back at all. Airbag only. So if you blow your bag then you lose your suspension, I imagine....

AS for the 3500 with factory air, that increases 1 coil link in the front, and then there are 2 leafs + overload (vs 4 leaf + overload). At least this is what I have come to learn via the interwebs...

My 2500 with air doesn't have coils in the back at all.
Oh my. I'm glad I skipped the auto-pop suspension on the 3500.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score

Because of the excessive bounce because of crappy highway it triggered a code that it did hit maximum weight capacity.
My dealership is working with FCA to get them to cover it and they claim it was a fluke of a deal and wouldn’t happen again, but I’m concerned.
Would you do another one without air suspension? Would you upgrade to the 3500 with or without air suspension? Just won't do a dually again.

Omarf4

Reaction score
Because of the excessive bounce because of crappy highway it triggered a code that it did hit maximum weight capacity.
My dealership is working with FCA to get them to cover it and they claim it was a fluke of a deal and wouldn’t happen again, but I’m concerned.
Would you do another one without air suspension? Would you upgrade to the 3500 with or without air suspension? Just won't do a dually again.
So they logged a code that max weight capacity was exceeded and that’s why they aren’t covering? Wholly crap...This will be good to follow and see if the dealer manages to get FCA to cover..please do keep us posted on outcome....

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a time at a truck pull, that a guy with a new Titan (3 days off thelot) ended up on the news and a phone call from his dealer.

REAR GAWR. 6040
REAR BAW. 3052 (this will be more with an optioned truck)
CAPACITY 2988 (this will be less with an optioned truck)
PAYLOAD (see door jamb sticker) gonna guess less than 1900

Any idea what the pin weight is on the 5th wheel? (Looks like 2400lbs dry pin weight)

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Good News!! FCA is covering the repair as warranty, and our RAM Rep along with sales manager say they feel confident it won’t happen again. I’m going to go weigh my RV Monday when I go and pick it back up again. Still considering trading it back in on another without air ride. Too nervous on the “what if” it happens again scenario. Unless I get something in writing.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
that is great news @The HOFF anxious to hear your results.
Still nervous to tow my 5th wheel which is under weight but scared to death that if I hit a dip going 60-65 again. Eventually I want back up to 70-72 sweet spot when towing on my 2016 one.

Don-T

Reaction score
Still nervous to tow my 5th wheel which is under weight but scared to death that if I hit a dip going 60-65 again. Eventually I want back up to 70-72 sweet spot when towing on my 2016 one.
Are you sure you are under weight? What does the payload sticker on the door jamb show for max payload? A 5th wheel the size you have normally has a pin weight between 2500 and 3000 pounds loaded. If you have the 6.4 motor you might be within max payload but if you have the 6.7 motor you are likely well over the limit.

archer75

Reaction score
Because with your 5th wheel and a 2500 you are around 2000lbs +/- over the payload limit. Payload on your truck has to be around 1800lbs? What's the door sticker say? A 42' 5th wheel, loaded pin weight plus people and gear in the truck i'm guessing is around 3800lbs total payload. Could be less, could be more. Way over the limit.
That could very well be too much for even a 3500 SRW longhorn megacab.

You don't want a dually but you have a 5th wheel that requires one. The solution is either the right truck or the right trailer. Check the real world numbers. My opinion is a 5th wheel over 35' is an automatic dually, if not just for the payload then the ability to handle something that long. Any 5th wheel shorter a SRW 3500.
There are even massive travel trailers you'd want a dually to tow even though you don't need that much payload. It's to handle it well.
Most trailer tires are only rated for 65mph. Something to be aware of.

I'm glad no one was hurt but it could have been really bad. Be smart, be safe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread