Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Nightmare Already

D

Deleted member 80

Bear in mind, the SRW 3500 has the same tires as the 2500. You can run out of tire capacity rating.

You need an accurate weight to estimate what you will have on your drive axle.

archer75

Reaction score
Not going with a dually. Talked myself out of it again.
You’re going to be overloaded again. Your final payload will be around 3400lbs.
Fully loaded for camping the weight is going to be up there.
Let’s say you have 4 adults weighing 175lbs each in the truck. You just lost 700lbs off your payload. That 5th wheel hitch weighs what? 100lbs? That comes off payload too. In that example you just lost 800lbs of payload and that’s if there’s no other items in the truck, which there always is.

You have 2280lbs of empty pin weight. And let’s face it, it’s never really empty. Even with the absolute basic essentials you’re still increasing that value. But for camping you said that weight would be much higher. And now you’re overloaded again.

And beyond the numbers a 42’ 5th wheel is just too long for a srw to handle safely.
You’ve already made one costly, dangerous mistake. Don’t make another.

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. I so wish we could get CAT scale numbers for the broke truck. I thought okay he is just driving it down the road a bit. But then he asked for someone to tow it 114 miles.

Yikes.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Wow. I so wish we could get CAT scale numbers for the broke truck. I thought okay he is just driving it down the road a bit. But then he asked for someone to tow it 114 miles.

Yikes.
Just don’t want it to blow on the 2500. Sales manager has confirmed on another one I’ll be around 4100 so should be enough.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Sure doesn’t look like a dually. Not with that maximum payload number. Something’s off.
Here’s the scoop. I am a road warrior 80% of the time and I pull out RV 10-20% of time no more than 150 miles. If I ever start traveling up in Colorado mountains or over 150-200 miles I’ll upgrade again. Reason I don’t go over 150 miles because it’s 4 trips. Have to come back and get the boat too. I hit a fluke bump in the road which already is doing repairs on road too and won’t be going that way soon so I think the SWB will work for our family needs. My buddy has one ton dually but him and his 44 Ft is up in Idaho. Not us.

archer75

Reaction score
D
Here’s the scoop. I am a road warrior 80% of the time and I pull out RV 10-20% of time no more than 150 miles. If I ever start traveling up in Colorado mountains or over 150-200 miles I’ll upgrade again. Reason I don’t go over 150 miles because it’s 4 trips. Have to come back and get the boat too. I hit a fluke bump in the road which already is doing repairs on road too and won’t be going that way soon so I think the SWB will work for our family needs. My buddy has one ton dually but him and his 44 Ft is up in Idaho. Not us.
distance is irrelevant. As you found out. Things can happen any time any where. And for a variety of reasons. Most accidents happen within 5 miles of home.
Someone cuts you off, you swerve, but you’re riding on the bump stops. Handling is adversely affected as is braking as a result.

Last edited:

archer75

Reaction score
Just don’t want it to blow on the 2500. Sales manager has confirmed on another one I’ll be around 4100 so should be enough.
You won’t be at 4100. That’s MAX payload for a srw 3500. It changes by configuration. If you look at door stickers from people with a similar configuration you’ll see you’ll be closer to 3400.
Dealers lie. And they’re dumb.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 80

I can't find the photo of the payload sticker from the 2500 I just sold, but it was a Tradesman, crewcab, shortbox, 4x4, 6.4 gasser, and the payload was @3,200 lbs IIRC. The RAWR was 6,500 lbs(?). I know you are talking 3500 SRW, but it won't be lighter than a 2500, and is on the same tires. My 2500 had over 3,200 lbs on the drive with a full tank, and basically empty, just my usual crap in the truck. Add 4,000 lbs to that and you are approaching the weight rating of the tires.

orlando bull

Reaction score
Without the HO Cummins, my fully loaded up Laramie has 3919 payload. I suspect yours will come in around that number or 200# less if you go HO.

Cummins0867

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 3500 Laramie, CCSB, SRW with the Aisin, rear air suspension. My payload is 3623 and my max trailer weight is 23,360. GCWR is 32xxx lbs. It has rear leaf springs. The pack has 4 leafs to the front of the axle and 3 leafs to the rear of the axle in addition to the factory airbags. The rear axle is the 12" and is rated at 7,000lbs and the front axle is rated at 6,000lbs. My tires are rated at 3,750 per tire (LT295/60-20 Ridge Grapplers). All of the Cummins SRW trucks start at 4,100lbs and go down from there as you add more options....needless to say the heavier options take more of the payload away. A Tradesman with little to no options would have the highest weight rating. If you read the owners manual Ram says that you must follow all of the weight ratings, payload, axle, trailer weight, tires and gross combined weight rating.......ALL of the time. Its very important to educate yourself on your equipment.

When you get stopped by public saftey/law enforcement (and they weigh you) if you have a trailer hooked up usually only care about the GCWR and they don't focus on the payload rating. I think its best to "err on the side of caution" and do what Ram says and follow all of the weight ratings all of the time. When anyone hooks up a trailer and rolls down the road the assume a great amount of responsibility....its always best to know what your trucks OEM weight ratings and follow them.....I had to educate myself on mine......so I'm not negligent if/when I'm involved in an accident.......even if it isn't my fault insurance company's will try to find fault and me not following the recommendations won't help my case. I apologize the military made me this way when it comes to responsibility and there's a big responsibility towing a 10K to 20K lbs trailer on a public highway. Its ALL about safety my family, mine and the rest of the public.

Last edited:

Don-T

Reaction score
Here are the window sticker and payload sticker for my truck. You are looking at a Mega cab truck single rear wheel so I think your truck will be a bit heavier than mine so payload will be a bit less. You really need to do some math to be sure you won't be overloaded again.

Attachments

• 2019 WindowStickerPDF.pdf
    86.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Payload Sticker.jpg
    Payload Sticker.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 89

Cummins0867

Reaction score
Here are the window sticker and payload sticker for my truck. You are looking at a Mega cab truck single rear wheel so I think your truck will be a bit heavier than mine so payload will be a bit less. You really need to do some math to be sure you won't be overloaded again.

Off topic....Can you look at your bed step and see what the part number is on it? It should be all the way up where the bed step mounts to the frame. I have been trying to get the part number for a 3500 bed step for quite some time. I would greatly appreciate it.

Don-T

Reaction score
Off topic....Can you look at your bed step and see what the part number is on it? It should be all the way up where the bed step mounts to the frame. I have been trying to get the part number for a 3500 bed step for quite some time. I would greatly appreciate it.
The is the only numbers I can find on it.
701C8283-76B3-4AF0-B219-3B6EB5668F4A.jpeg

Cummins0867

Reaction score
That's the same part number that's on the 2500's. When I looked at a 2500 with a bed step it looked nothing like my 3500 so I didn't think it would fit. But if its the same part number on both trucks the it should fit both the 2500 and the 3500. I have been emailing AMP research and they are about 3 weeks away from shipping their 2019 Ram 2500 and 3500 bed steps.

HomelessBound

Reaction score
Your trailer weight you quoted as 13,360 lbs -- did you weigh that? That's about what I see as the UVW for your trailer before any options (including mandatory) get ticked off when it is EMPTY. https://www.highlandridgerv.com/products/2018/open-range-3x/specifications/ So EMPTY without options the "optimal" pin weight range is 2,670-3340. At max gross 16,300 - assuming you didn't over gross your trailer like you did your truck - 3260 to 4075. Even going barebones gas isn't going to help you. That is straight dually territory. I would go dually or get a smaller trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread