Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will a Battery Tender Charge both Batteries?

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
No, it wasn't the charger. As I said, my son had the same experience. We both sent the chargers back to the manufacturer for testing. They said the chargers were fine, get a higher amp charger. Batteries were not defective
Things that make ya go hmmm...

IronByron

Reaction score
I just realized I can charge both batteries from the rear bumper with my 7 way to 12vdc adaptor. Then I just plug in the tender with the 12vdc port adaptor. Now I don’t have to worry about wiring up a connector off the batteries.

effaf920dd4f85729ee11a4b6d1d7bca.jpg

1a67b6ca65721f5341f2368597929802.jpg

Ha as a bonus, the day I forget to unhook before driving off, it will just unplug as I roll away! (I know I will forget sometime)

carlrx7

Reaction score
The voltage drop on t

Back down to 49 buck-a-roos!

Collected some data points with a quick cycle using my bench battery today. In phase 1 (Bulk) it puts out a Constant Current of 25 amps until 14.2 volts is reached. Switches to Phase 2 (Absorb) and limits current to maintain Constant Voltage of 14.2. Once current drops below 1 amp it is fully charged and switches to Phase 3 (Float) and maintains 13.5 volts @ < 1 amp. Overall, very happy with the charger, 14.2 is the happy medium between safe/agressive charging, should work with all lead/acid/agm batteries. Enjoy!

John Jensen

Reaction score
The voltage drop on t

Back down to 49 buck-a-roos!

Collected some data points with a quick cycle using my bench battery today. In phase 1 (Bulk) it puts out a Constant Current of 25 amps until 14.2 volts is reached. Switches to Phase 2 (Absorb) and limits current to maintain Constant Voltage of 14.2. Once current drops below 1 amp it is fully charged and switches to Phase 3 (Float) and maintains 13.5 volts @ < 1 amp. Overall, very happy with the charger, 14.2 is the happy medium between safe/agressive charging, should work with all lead/acid/agm batteries. Enjoy!
Nice report. It looks like a winner and the price is definitely right.

Edit:
49 bucks didn't last long, now back up to 81.00+

Last edited:

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I'm on day 4 charging with my new Deltran 5amp charger, still not fully charged. Either my batteries are way drawn down or this new charger is defective. Hoping it's the former. I'll give it a few more days.

carlrx7

Reaction score
I'm on day 4 charging with my new Deltran 5amp charger, still not fully charged. Either my batteries are way drawn down or this new charger is defective. Hoping it's the former. I'll give it a few more days.
Measure the voltage with the charger hooked up, what is it at? If below 14v, is it still increasing after 30 minutes? Some smart chargers give up at a set time for "safety", reset the charger and see if it kicks back in.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Measure the voltage with the charger hooked up, what is it at? If below 14v, is it still increasing after 30 minutes? Some smart chargers give up at a set time for "safety", reset the charger and see if it kicks back in.
Come to find out, I must not have had the alligator clips connected quite right according to the instructions on the tender. Now that they're connected up correctly I'll wait and see how long it takes to charge the batteries.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Come to find out, I must not have had the alligator clips connected quite right according to the instructions on the tender. Now that they're connected up correctly I'll wait and see how long it takes to charge the batteries.
Shouldn't be measured in days, though. Most current smart chargers will time out after 24 hrs if the battery/s are not responding.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Shouldn't be measured in days, though. Most current smart chargers will time out after 24 hrs if the battery/s are not responding.
I'm good now. Come to find out, I didn't have a good ground connection according to the indicator LED. Both batteries now charged and ready to go.

Users who are viewing this thread