Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will a Battery Tender Charge both Batteries?

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
'19 CTD, I like to put all my vehicles on the Tender once in awhile to keep the batteries happy. I'm a noob when it comes to the dual batteries and charging. If I hard wire a plug in to one battery, will it back fill the other as well? Or do the batteries need topped off independently?

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
So they are married together from the factory I assume? Some form of MOD is required to isolate them if that was your preference?

flan

Reaction score
As your truck sits from the factory they will both charge if you hook a tender up to one of them. It does not matter which one you hook up to either, whichever is more convenient for your garage setup.

John Jensen

Reaction score
According to Battery Tender you should connect the positive clip to one battery and the ground clip to the other battery. That way, depending on what BT you have, the BT sees two batteries and can give you a readout for each battery. If you put both clips on one battery the BT sees both as one battery.

Also, to work properly you need a BT of sufficient amperage. Too low amperage rating and the BT cannot keep batteries at full charge. Been there, done that!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 80

So they are married together from the factory I assume? Some form of MOD is required to isolate them if that was your preference?
You would isolate them to load test them, and/or troubleshoot an issue.

John Jensen

Reaction score
That's a tough question. It depends on the battery CCA and whether you are using one battery or two in parallel.
I suggest you go by the manufacturer's recommendations. For a charger/maintainer, I personally wouldn't go below 5 amps. I am using 10amp units.

D

Deleted member 80

That's interesting. Other than Odyssey batteries, which need a higher charge voltage to reach full charge, I have activated, charged, and maintained literally hundreds of batteries with a few Battery Tender Plus units that are 1.25(?)Amp. Some batteries as big as 8D, 4D, and Group 31. Never had an issue with conventional flooded, or AGM.

John Jensen

Reaction score
That's interesting. Other than Odyssey batteries, which need a higher charge voltage to reach full charge, I have activated, charged, and maintained literally hundreds of batteries with a few Battery Tender Plus units that are 1.25(?)Amp. Some batteries as big as 8D, 4D, and Group 31. Never had an issue with conventional flooded, or AGM.
Low amp maintainers did not keep my Ford diesel regular or AGM batteries maintained. In fact, allowed them to go flat over time. Same with my boat batteries and my son's Ford Excursion diesel batteries. I thought had other problems until we proved that the low amp maintainers were not up to it. Was using maintainers designed for regular or AGM batteries

carlrx7

Reaction score
The CTEK MXS 10 states it will charge lead acid batteries up to 200ah and maintain up to 300ah. Our batteries are anywhere between 80-100ah each (don't sue me). If you use a charger too small the constant current might not be able to reach the desired voltage to top off the battery. Some chargers will just give up and automatically switch to float after 24 hours, some will error out.

That being said, I purchased a Stanley 25-amp charger for $50 bucks at walmart online.

John Jensen

Reaction score
That being said, I purchased a Stanley 25-amp charger for $50 bucks at walmart online.
That's a good deal.
Do you have a link? When I look at Walmart I cannot find a Stanley 25-amp charger for $50 bucks

John Jensen

Reaction score
Thanks. Specs are vague, doesn't say it is programmed to do AGM, etc batteries so I assume it's only for regular batteries.
I guess that's why it's a good price. I'll pass

carlrx7

Reaction score

John Jensen

Reaction score
That's also what I run on my boat.
Here's what I'm using on my 2020 Ram HO Cummins:
Minn Kota, 20 amp, 2-Bank On-Board Battery Charger - # MK-220PC

Users who are viewing this thread