Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is the facelift coming out?

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
So, since the 4th and 4.5 Gen are essentially the same deal as the D/W series and the RAM of the 70s and 80s , essentially the same truck from 1972 til 1993 with the onset in 2010, expect the new truck in 2031...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So, since the 4th and 4.5 Gen are essentially the same deal as the D/W series and the RAM of the 70s and 80s , essentially the same truck from 1972 til 1993 with the onset in 2010, expect the new truck in 2031...

Kinda like how often you show up here?

LOL

(yes, I'm jealous of your leisure) ;)

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
As long as the new diesel trans doesn’t have this stupid auto park BS that the 850RE in the wife’s Gladiator has…. What a horribly stupid design.

jsalbre

Reaction score
As long as the new diesel trans doesn’t have this stupid auto park BS that the 850RE in the wife’s Gladiator has…. What a horribly stupid design.
I expect it will. I’m starting to see word that the diesel HDs will come with the new ZF EL58 8 speed. Since it’ll be electronically shifted like all the other ZF 8 speeds it’ll have the dial shifter, and I can’t see Ram not having the same auto-park feature.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I expect it will. I’m starting to see word that the diesel HDs will come with the new ZF EL58 8 speed. Since it’ll be electronically shifted like all the other ZF 8 speeds it’ll have the dial shifter, and I can’t see Ram not having the same auto-park feature.
The only reason i see it not having that feature is being in a larger weight class the possibility of it trying to put it in park with a a large amount of weight could cause the parking pawl to shear

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
I doubt there will be any Cummins engine changes before 2028-2029. Those require lengthy road testing and market socialization and we’ve seen nothing of the sort in the rumor mill, so we are probably several years away from new Cummins engines. New 8 speed transmission is my guess as to the most substantive power train change we’ll see for 4-5 years. A truck company is never going to surprise its conservative buyers with a potentially controversial new engine without years of runway to get the market primed for it.

If I were looking at a 2024 Limited HD, I might think about waiting to see if a 2025 Tungsten HD comes out, and/or the other new features such as totally keyless operation, self-driving capabilities, etc. as promised for the 2025 1500 Tungsten. But if you aren’t going for a top-level trim then the only substantive change you might expect to miss out on would be a new transmission, which rumors suggest would be a ZF heavy duty 8 speed. I have 150,000 miles on ZF’s light duty 8-speed across my Land Rover LR4 and 2022 1500. It’s an excellent transmission—smooth, usually crisp, and reliable. The big advantage of an 8 speed is the ~10% fuel economy gain it would surely offer. If you don’t care about the absolute smoothest shifts or 10% in fuel savings, then you’re probably not missing anything by having a 6-speed today.

I traded in my 2022 1500 Limited EcoDiesel and bought a 2024 3500 Limited which just got delivered today, in fact. I would’ve waited for a 2025 3500, but I needed the 3500 NOW for summer and spring towing plans. I could not wait. If a Tungsten with an 8-speed is offered for 2025, I might make a quick upgrade, in 9-12 months, though. The Tungsten has great features for heavy road trippers and tech early adopters like me.

One huge surprise was the 10% off MSRP on 2024 models RAM gave HD buyers in December. Not sure if that’s still going on but I saved an extra $10,000 on my truck I didn’t expect to. That was great news for ordering last October and closing the deal December 26.
The new engines and trans has been out there for a couple years now, our govt is using up all the time and money for their idea of what a truck should be.

56ram2500

Reaction score
People who haven’t driven a recent ZF 8 speed just don’t understand how much better they are than literally everything that’s come before.
At least with my six speed I don't have to buy $30 qt ATF for it or an expensive new trans pan to service it, oh I also don't need to jack up the rear wheels or level the trans nor will I go through a dozen other steps to service it and I will not have to be nor will I be under the truck to install my ATF :)

jsalbre

Reaction score
At least with my six speed I don't have to buy $30 qt ATF for it or an expensive new trans pan to service it, oh I also don't need to jack up the rear wheels or level the trans nor will I go through a dozen other steps to service it and I will not have to be nor will I be under the truck to install my ATF :)
Worth it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I was banished from the other discussion because someone likes censorship around here. I’ll I have to say is autopark sucks and shift knobs are stupid.

I’ve had an NV4500 and 2nd gen 3rd gen auto and a 22 auto. 12v diesel manual was fun stuff….automatics are comfortable though…..The 22 68 series shifts nice. Could it be better, sure…but they are really gonna mess this up. 8 speeds are for clowns….. just saying….

1. You're trolling threads.

2. This is a private site, you have no rights here.

3. See you in a week.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I mean, it’s only $1000 if you pay someone else to do it. If you do it yourself it’s far less.
Just the cost of fluid and a pan here in canada its 1000$, 50$ a qt and 350$ ish for the pan then the governments cut in taxes!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Just the cost of fluid and a pan here in canada its 1000$, 50$ a qt and 350$ ish for the pan then the governments cut in taxes!

Should only need 6 quarts. Are taxes that high??

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
If the transmission is indeed the Powerline, it will absolutely have auto park. The park lock is rated at 33k GCW.

If anyone wants to see some “features” of the transmission, you can go here:

The transmission has been on the road for a little while now, as PACCAR has been installing them in their medium duty trucks under the disguise of the “PACCAR TX-8”.

Side note: check out that column shifter ;)

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
If the transmission is indeed the Powerline, it will absolutely have auto park. The park lock is rated at 33k GCW.

If anyone wants to see some “features” of the transmission, you can go here:

The transmission has been on the road for a little while now, as PACCAR has been installing them in their medium duty trucks under the disguise of the “PACCAR TX-8”.

Side note: check out that column shifter ;)
That trans isn't a ZF.

Users who are viewing this thread