Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is the facelift coming out?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I do wonder though, will they make everyone use the knob shifter? I like my old school column shifter, I never did care for the knob shifter.
My guess: based on the prototype demo truck they had running 5 years ago, the availability of the knob and integration with the other ZF transmissions, and the complexity of a column shifter versus electric knob, I’m thinking it’s going to be a knob shifter this time. After two years of using the one in my wife’s 1500, I wouldn’t be opposed to that. The more I use that style of shifter when I’m driving her truck, the more I prefer it over the column shifter in my 3500. To me, it offers a more rapid selection with less user input, and greatly “cleans up” the overall interior. Plus it doesn’t need the self-disintegrating rubber boot that needs to be replaced every 30k miles. The one in my well-cared-for 2022 longhorn has a hole in it large enough to slip my fingers through in only 42k. Thats utterly unacceptable for a $100k “luxury” pickup.

Xflight29

Reaction score
First mistake is paying a 100K for a truck. My 2020 3500 Longhorn Mega Cab loaded with everything ran 86K and has 67K miles and interior looks brand new.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
First mistake is paying a 100K for a truck. My 2020 3500 Longhorn Mega Cab loaded with everything ran 86K and has 67K miles and interior looks brand new.
Have you looked at prices lately? We’re a long way from 2020. I didn’t pay $100k for it, because I played the market to my favor, but the MSRP was almost $100k. A loaded up tradesman today had a sticker close to $90k. The price I paid is irrelevant anyway. There’s no excuse for a rubber shifter boot to fall to pieces in two years and 42k miles of light use. It’s just a crappy component. And another item to eliminate when the ZF transmission is introduced.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
The OEM shifter knob on the Ram 1500s run $294 online- likely pushing $400 at the local dealer. While I’d agree the boot should last 10+ years- I’d rather replace one for the $33 price online versus the knob cost.

All these new tech items add large repair bills when they fail.

Have you looked at prices lately? We’re a long way from 2020. I didn’t pay $100k for it, because I played the market to my favor, but the MSRP was almost $100k. A loaded up tradesman today had a sticker close to $90k. The price I paid is irrelevant anyway. There’s no excuse for a rubber shifter boot to fall to pieces in two years and 42k miles of light use. It’s just a crappy component. And another item to eliminate when the ZF transmission is introduced.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
The OEM shifter knob on the Ram 1500s run $294 online- likely pushing $400 at the local dealer. While I’d agree the boot should last 10+ years- I’d rather replace one for the $33 price online versus the knob cost.

When’s the last time you saw one of those knobs fail? I’ve never heard of one failing.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
When’s the last time you saw one of those knobs fail? I’ve never heard of one failing.
I've had 2 friends had these Electic knobs fail (non-ram). One was due to their own stupidity (spilled coffee). If you google them, it happens, not super common but it happens. They are basically a switch- they loosen up over time and fail just like a headlight switch, etc. Forget the cost due to possible failure- they are just plain weird in my opinion.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

I guess you have never had to buy a shifter cable as they are not cheap either and are way more likely to break over time.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I guess you have never had to buy a shifter cable as they are not cheap either and are way more likely to break over time.
Actually no- I’m sure it happens though l. 370k on a 96 12v, 230k on a 96 12v, 106k on an 03 24v and no issues. I’m sure it’s a bit harder than the switch replacement yet cheaper.

Units

Reaction score
I will add, when my 6.4l broke down the first thing the tow truck driver asked was if I had the “knob”, he assumed that’s what my problem was, I asked him why and he said he’s had to tow several trucks with that knob because of a failure.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I will add, when my 6.4l broke down the first thing the tow truck driver asked was if I had the “knob”, he assumed that’s what my problem was, I asked him why and he said he’s had to tow several trucks with that knob because of a failure.

"A failure" may have been unrelated to "that knob" and tow operators ask because the "knob" trucks require releasing the park pawl/neutral via a pull tab/cable.

Units

Reaction score
"A failure" may have been unrelated to "that knob" and tow operators ask because the "knob" trucks require releasing the park pawl/neutral via a pull tab/cable.
My truck actually started and pulled up on the tow under it’s own power. The discussion didn’t pertain to putting the truck in neutral to be towed. We were just shooting the breeze while he hooked up and I found it interesting he pointed that out specifically.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The only issue i had ever heard was the 190ish trucks that were recalled for not going in to park it was around 2014-2015 ish when they first came out

Users who are viewing this thread