Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the most annoying thing about your truck?

dm6

Reaction score
Gotta say that passenger side mirror is really the one thing that I hate most about this truck.

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
my 21 doesnt honk when I get out when its running. Not sure if its something I disabled in the settings? It also fits quite nicely in the BOS short term parking garage. Finding a spot for it is another story though!

My gripes are the meh AC system, and the U Connect sucks. I am on the road for work a lot, and am constantly taking calls. Every once in a while I will hang up a call, and it wont go back to the radio. System is totally locked up. Sometimes I can push the voice command button and then cancel it and it will clear, but other times I have to make a call to my personal phone to get it to clear.

Linked4door

Reaction score
my 21 doesnt honk when I get out when its running. Not sure if its something I disabled in the settings? It also fits quite nicely in the BOS short term parking garage. Finding a spot for it is another story though!

My gripes are the meh AC system, and the U Connect sucks. I am on the road for work a lot, and am constantly taking calls. Every once in a while I will hang up a call, and it wont go back to the radio. System is totally locked up. Sometimes I can push the voice command button and then cancel it and it will clear, but other times I have to make a call to my personal phone to get it to clear.
The 3 honks when you get out of the truck was a safety feature added in the 2022's. Your truck doesn't have this feature.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
The 3 honks when you get out of the truck was a safety feature added in the 2022's.
What's the safety angle? Just that you walked away from your truck and left it running? That's exactly what I want every time I do it. Maybe I'm missing the point?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
What's the safety angle? Just that you walked away from your truck and left it running? That's exactly what I want every time I do it. Maybe I'm missing the point?
To prevent CO poisoning deaths.

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
To prevent CO deaths that are shockingly not so rare.. similar to the new feature coming out to most major brands and I think Ram will be following suit where every time you turn the vehicle off, it beeps from the dash and tells you to check the back seat (for the purpose of stopping people from forgetting kids and pets inside.. very sad). The annoying features are going to keep on coming but for the odd 1 or 2 lives they save.. I think many can take it as a win. Best thing is if the people with the brain power to want to turn it off, are often not the culprits of such events.. so it would be nice to be able to program out. I wonder if a tuner could program that out?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
“We must save the stupid people”
Ohhh, alright, I’ll go on a little rant, because it’s “stupid” comments like this that really bug me. Yeah I get it, we got all the idiotic remarks like Darwinism at work, natural selection, thin the heard, etc. But, while people make stupid mistakes, for whatever reason, nobody deserves to die because of their stupidity. With push button start being a new feature to a lot of people, forgetting to shut the vehicle off can happen to anybody no matter how smart they might think they are, and if a feature like this can potentially save an entire household then it’s worth it, because you might not get a second chance after making a simple mistake like that.
Our daughter got an SRX that has this feature when she got her license. A couple weeks in, I heard the horn honk go off when she parked it in the driveway. While this helped her realize what she did, I yanked the keys from her for a month, and did some re-training with her on the importance of what she did. If she would have used the Cherokee, which doesn’t have that feature and stays in the garage, then who knows…
Anyway, I’m still trying to figure out a way to disable the feature via programming for those that understandably don’t like it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ohhh, alright, I’ll go on a little rant, because it’s “stupid” comments like this that really bug me. Yeah I get it, we got all the idiotic remarks like Darwinism at work, natural selection, thin the heard, etc. But, while people make stupid mistakes, for whatever reason, nobody deserves to die because of their stupidity. With push button start being a new feature to a lot of people, forgetting to shut the vehicle off can happen to anybody no matter how smart they might think they are, and if a feature like this can potentially save an entire household then it’s worth it, because you might not get a second chance after making a simple mistake like that.
Our daughter got an SRX that has this feature when she got her license. A couple weeks in, I heard the horn honk go off when she parked it in the driveway. While this helped her realize what she did, I yanked the keys from her for a month, and did some re-training with her on the importance of what she did. If she would have used the Cherokee, which doesn’t have that feature and stays in the garage, then who knows…
Anyway, I’m still trying to figure out a way to disable the feature via programming for those that understandably don’t like it.

I recently had a little fun with a rental car, for which I get to experience a new and unfamiliar one on a very regular basis. This one was a brand new 22 Toyota Avalon with 650 miles on it.

I pulled into a convenience/gas stop to grab some water and some coffee drinks as is my usual travel routine after getting the rental and on my way to the hotel.

Distracted by a panhandling crack-ho lurking by the front door I expect, I pressed the start/stop button and popped the door. As soon as I stepped out, the car started rolling. I had failed to put it in park or set the (push button) brake. Quick save and I put it in park and proceeded to enter the store. I pressed the remote lock but it didn't really register that it may not have locked. I kept a close eye on it while inside. Coming out, I pressed the trunk release - nothing. Hmmm, press the door unlock - nothing. Hmmm. Damn car was still running. It never shut off, never made one damn sound or indication it was still running (no tach).

Dumb move, but it happens to the best of us on occasion. It's easy to get distracted in some situations.

QuattroCS

Reaction score
this will be my first new vehicle as well as the first with push to start button.

Thisnthat

Reaction score

push button or not, several of our kids' friends have done the same thing. co-worker's daughter left her car running the whole day during school, they ended up selling it as it wouldn't stop running hot - just unreal

we weren't immune either, our daughter learned to drive in my 2016 dually (physical key) she'd get out when we go to lowes or something, and leave it running while it's rattling away. first time she did it i asked her about it before we made it too far. second time i waited until we almost walked in the store and asked her if she shut it off...that worked - embarrassed her. but even the warning chimes/lights she had issues picking up - uh the dome light is on, probably means your door is open "or something"...

but yes, not having to take out a key makes them not think about it - not sure why but it's for sure a generational issue - wonder if it has to do with kids staying 99% occupied while the parents are driving and they aren't picking up on cues with the vehicle/driving

QuattroCS

Reaction score
I recently had a little fun with a rental car, for which I get to experience a new and unfamiliar one on a very regular basis. This one was a brand new 22 Toyota Avalon with 650 miles on it.

I pulled into a convenience/gas stop to grab some water and some coffee drinks as is my usual travel routine after getting the rental and on my way to the hotel.

Distracted by a panhandling crack-ho lurking by the front door I expect, I pressed the start/stop button and popped the door. As soon as I stepped out, the car started rolling. I had failed to put it in park or set the (push button) brake. Quick save and I put it in park and proceeded to enter the store. I pressed the remote lock but it didn't really register that it may not have locked. I kept a close eye on it while inside. Coming out, I pressed the trunk release - nothing. Hmmm, press the door unlock - nothing. Hmmm. Damn car was still running. It never shut off, never made one damn sound or indication it was still running (no tach).

Dumb move, but it happens to the best of us on occasion. It's easy to get distracted in some situations.
had a similar experience with a prius few months back

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Oh snap I angered the jimmy. Sorry jimmy. I didn’t mean it.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
While I’m no fan of the beep thing - I’m new to push button starts as well and have done this a couple times - intending to leave the truck running, but can see if it wasn’t my intention, it would be a helpful warning. For that reason, maybe a switch if you intend to leave it running would be a helpful addition?

The dumb thing I’ve done a dozen times now is press the start button to shut the truck down having forgotten to twist the shifter dial to park first. This is also a new thing to me with this truck. In fact, I keep reaching my right hand out to hold the shifter that isn’t there. While the truck auto shifts to park when I do this dumb thing, I’m hoping I stop doing it soon….

QuattroCS

Reaction score
While I’m no fan of the beep thing - I’m new to push button starts as well and have done this a couple times - intending to leave the truck running, but can see if it wasn’t my intention, it would be a helpful warning. For that reason, maybe a switch if you intend to leave it running would be a helpful addition?

The dumb thing I’ve done a dozen times now is press the start button to shut the truck down having forgotten to twist the shifter dial to park first. This is also a new thing to me with this truck. In fact, I keep reaching my right hand out to hold the shifter that isn’t there. While the truck auto shifts to park when I do this dumb thing, I’m hoping I stop doing it soon….
hello @TinGoatTravelers this post gives you the current available options - i will be doing the aux option.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
hello @TinGoatTravelers this post gives you the current available options - i will be doing the aux option.
Thanks. I saw that video earlier and appreciate the ingenuity. It’s not for me but glad there are options. I’ll have to work on behavior mods…

Blythkd1

Reaction score
To prevent CO poisoning deaths.
Hmm, gonna be kinda hard to asphyxiate me when I'm walking away:) Ok, yeah I get it. My preference would just be to have a Fn key. My last GM was push button too so it's not just Ram. I don't get it. If I have to have a fob thing with me to start the truck, why not just have a key hanging from it that I can insert in a nice safe spot in the truck so I always know where it is, like an ignition tumbler? I really don't like the push button crap.

I understand a "shut the damn thing off" warning on a car like my wife's little Buick because you can hardly tell that little 4 banger is running but my Cummins? Yes they're a lot smoother and quieter than the 5.9's, but still, if I forget to shut it off, it'll be pretty obvious very quickly. Be nice if they'd just make it a selectable option. That way if you consciously turn it off, any fallout is all on you.

copcarguy

Reaction score
The 3 honks when you get out of the truck was a safety feature added in the 2022's. Your truck doesn't have this feature.
My ‘21 3500 CCLB HEMI 4x4 is a triple-honker lol.

My biggest gripe is the wet noodle crappy brake pedal feel… and pretty much non confidence inspiring brakes period. I’ve noticed that if I give the brakes a quick pump and then use them the pedal feel is much better and engages much higher in the pedal movement range.

FM radio reception is horrible too.

Last edited:

Lab_Rat

Reaction score
Definitely the lack of telescoping steering wheel, which leads to my right knee coming in constant contact with the 4WD selector switch ‘bulge’.

Silver lining: at least the pedals are adjustable, which is somewhat helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread