Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the Wifey wants the Wifey gets....but i need help

new2rams

Reaction score
50 gallon tank is an option for all long beds, so like you mentioned had you ordered it you would have the 50.

But I totally agree with this. Drives me nuts that I only get about 300 miles on a tank while towing.
without me searching this forum, just for my laziness, do you know anyboy on this forum i could reach out who've made the swap to the larger tank. I"m not going to lie, we have not been getting very good mileage driving mostly in town with the 37" tires. That's fine, since diesel is only like 6 bucks where we live (heavy sarcasm intended there)....but we didn't get this vehicle for it's fuel economy, so that's not a biggie.....i just want to skip a few gas station trips a month. That really adds up time wise.

Enve46

Reaction score
without me searching this forum, just for my laziness, do you know anyboy on this forum i could reach out who've made the swap to the larger tank. I"m not going to lie, we have not been getting very good mileage driving mostly in town with the 37" tires. That's fine, since diesel is only like 6 bucks where we live (heavy sarcasm intended there)....but we didn't get this vehicle for it's fuel economy, so that's not a biggie.....i just want to skip a few gas station trips a month. That really adds up time wise.
Titan and S&B both make 50-52 gallon tanks. From the videos Ive seen it looks to be a fairly easy swap. I haven't done one on a Ram but other vehicles I have. Generally speaking, its dropping the tank and replacing with new one, shouldn't be overly complicated.

tchur1

Reaction score
These threads seem to have a few guys on there that have done the swap:

UglyViking

Reaction score
Tank size is something that is on my shortlift of upgrades for my tow rig. ~30 gal is was too small and leaves very little wiggle room if passing a station in some parts of the country. Not that I currently pass stations since both my kids are under 4, but I digress.

After a lot of research I've landed upon the S&B tank (Link) as the replacement.

Reasons I am buying the S&B in a few months:
  • The S&B utilizes the same lift pump locking ring as the OEM tank. Titan currently uses a metal ring with bolts and there have been numerous reports of it leaking. When I contacted them about it this past fall/winter they told me they are currently updating their tanks to utilize the OEM ring but didn't have a date on when the CCLB tank would be updated for the Cummins. This may have changed, I haven't looked.
  • The S&B tank "hangs" down less notably than the Titan tank. While visuals aren't everything, they do matter to me and the Titan tank makes it look like the truck has a growth.
  • The S&B has some space between the rear fuel filter and the tank. I've read that the Titan tank rubs/touches the rear fuel filter.
  • The S&B is almost $400 cheaper and has free shipping (at least to me). The Titan tank costs more and charges $99 for shipping.
Unless I've missed some obvious killer difference between the two, the S&B seems like an obvious no brainer when comparing the two.

new2rams

Reaction score
Tank size is something that is on my shortlift of upgrades for my tow rig. ~30 gal is was too small and leaves very little wiggle room if passing a station in some parts of the country. Not that I currently pass stations since both my kids are under 4, but I digress.

After a lot of research I've landed upon the S&B tank (Link) as the replacement.

Reasons I am buying the S&B in a few months:
  • The S&B utilizes the same lift pump locking ring as the OEM tank. Titan currently uses a metal ring with bolts and there have been numerous reports of it leaking. When I contacted them about it this past fall/winter they told me they are currently updating their tanks to utilize the OEM ring but didn't have a date on when the CCLB tank would be updated for the Cummins. This may have changed, I haven't looked.
  • The S&B tank "hangs" down less notably than the Titan tank. While visuals aren't everything, they do matter to me and the Titan tank makes it look like the truck has a growth.
  • The S&B has some space between the rear fuel filter and the tank. I've read that the Titan tank rubs/touches the rear fuel filter.
  • The S&B is almost $400 cheaper and has free shipping (at least to me). The Titan tank costs more and charges $99 for shipping.
Unless I've missed some obvious killer difference between the two, the S&B seems like an obvious no brainer when comparing the two.
this hit the nail on the head! thank you so very much! really appreciate this!

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
I have the s&b and love it. You won't regret it. My dad has one as well and has been very happy with it.

new2rams

Reaction score
I have the s&b and love it. You won't regret it. My dad has one as well and has been very happy with it.
I just clicked on the link ugly viking posted for the tank. I was reading about it, and it noted two things. I'm not sure if it's true or not or there's a workaround:
1) high flow nozzles wont work any longer?
2) miles to empty won't be accurate

is this accurate?

UglyViking

Reaction score
From my research I've found that all of the larger non-OEM tanks have issues with the highest setting of the high flow nozzles. You can click one down from max and not have an issue (again from my research). I've also read that some folks have 0 issue with the high flow, and some do, meanwhile others report having no issue at certain stations, and issues at other.

Miles to empty won't be accurate until the tank gets low enough towards the "max" setting. You can use alfaOBD to adjust the tank size, but the max size (194 liter I believe, ~51 gal since the largest OEM tank is 50 gal) is lower than the size of the S&B/Titan tank. So the MTE will be accurate once the tank dips below that. Same goes for the fuel tank gauge. It will always show full until it dips below where the lift pump "bobber" is.

These issues appear to be across the board, for any aftermarket tank larger than OEM, so it wasn't something I mentioned but it's good to note.

For me, it's not even a question. My MTE won't be accurate until I've dipped below ~50 gal. Even still, that should give me an accurate reading of roughly 450 miles, which is more than adequate.

new2rams

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question: but why not just swap the tank for stock 50 gallon then? You will be approx (10 gallons less) but wouldn't everything work as the factory intended?

UglyViking

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question: but why not just swap the tank for stock 50 gallon then? You will be approx (10 gallons less) but wouldn't everything work as the factory intended?
You totally could. You need a new tank, 2 straps, and a new lift pump. Total price from moparonlineparts.com is $1125 + $365 shipping to me. So total price is $1,490. You may be able to find parts cheaper online, to bring the cost down to the price of the S&B or possibly a little lower. Assuming that they are identical in price (for the sake of discussion), I don't know why you would want to spend the same amount to hold 10 gal less when the trade off is that you fill up maybe 60 seconds slower?

Totally your call, just seems like a silly trade off to me. Parts numbers are pulled from another forum post and I have no validated the numbers or confirmed if anything else is needed.

Tank: 68534612AB
Straps: 68397065AC, 68397066AC
Heat shield: 68397067AB
Lift pump: 68490266AA

new2rams

Reaction score
You totally could. You need a new tank, 2 straps, and a new lift pump. Total price from moparonlineparts.com is $1125 + $365 shipping to me. So total price is $1,490. You may be able to find parts cheaper online, to bring the cost down to the price of the S&B or possibly a little lower. Assuming that they are identical in price (for the sake of discussion), I don't know why you would want to spend the same amount to hold 10 gal less when the trade off is that you fill up maybe 60 seconds slower?

Totally your call, just seems like a silly trade off to me. Parts numbers are pulled from another forum post and I have no validated the numbers or confirmed if anything else is needed.

Tank: 68534612AB
Straps: 68397065AC, 68397066AC
Heat shield: 68397067AB
Lift pump: 68490266AA
I just somewhat like the idea of a "plug and play" and it's all as if factory. I also respect the oddness of wanting 10 gallons less for that little "plug and play" peace of mind

UglyViking

Reaction score
I just somewhat like the idea of a "plug and play" and it's all as if factory. I also respect the oddness of wanting 10 gallons less for that little "plug and play" peace of mind
I think both the S&B tank and OEM tank are going to be pretty interchangeable. If anything, the S&B kit is nice because you just buy the kit and follow the instructions, vs having to DIY a kit. Either way, really up to you. For me, I'll take the extra 10 gal, but that's me.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran a Titan 55 gallon tank on my 18. The high flow nozzles worked the same as they did with the stock tank.

Tank size can be reprogrammed to 192L and that will get DTE pretty close.

g00fy

Reaction score
Hello All
I just wanted to share a suggestion for anybody buying one of these trucks. After we've had the truck a little bit, I have one gripe. Something that causes me to just shake my head and had we ordered the truck from a build, I'm sure I would have fixed this problem.
This truck has a 30ish gallon fuel tank. Why in the world with a long bed doesn't it have a 45 or 50+ gallon tank.
My ford long beds did.
This frustrates me so bad, that i'm thinking of doing a swap (i don't want a tank in the bed, as i need the whole bed).
I can't imagine if we were towing heavy and going a decent distance, we'd only get something like 250 miles per tank.
This is just poor planning on Rams part (my opinion only).

other than that, we are quite fond of this truck and brand thus far.
Get an S&B or Titan oversized tank, it's worth the money especially if you tow long distances. I have a Titan tank, and it's OK, but if I were to do it all again, I'd go S&B instead, seems to be a better overall design.

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
Worth noting, my dad tried to go this route had all of the parts ordered through the dealer and they were going to install it, the total cost ended up being quite a bit higher than the aftermarket and after his truck sitting at the dealer for 3 weeks they determined it could not be done. apparently something about where the straps attach to the frame is different and would require cutting/welding (according to the dealer, i take it with a grain of salt) they also said something about the lift pump wouldnt work. again im not sure how much truth there is to this but ultimately they refused to do the work and refunded all of his money and he went aftermarket.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Worth noting, my dad tried to go this route had all of the parts ordered through the dealer and they were going to install it, the total cost ended up being quite a bit higher than the aftermarket and after his truck sitting at the dealer for 3 weeks they determined it could not be done. apparently something about where the straps attach to the frame is different and would require cutting/welding (according to the dealer, i take it with a grain of salt) they also said something about the lift pump wouldnt work. again im not sure how much truth there is to this but ultimately they refused to do the work and refunded all of his money and he went aftermarket.

While anything is doable, adding the 50 gallon OEM tank was deemed impractical to extremely difficult early on. The mounting locations are different.

The aftermarket larger tanks are also incompatible with the trucks that came with the 50 gallon tank.

UglyViking

Reaction score
While anything is doable, adding the 50 gallon OEM tank was deemed impractical to extremely difficult early on. The mounting locations are different.

The aftermarket larger tanks are also incompatible with the trucks that came with the 50 gallon tank.
Really? That's pretty surprising. I wonder why Ram would have 2 different frame mounts for this. God I don't understand how some of these decisions are made.

Users who are viewing this thread