Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the Wifey wants the Wifey gets....but i need help

new2rams

Reaction score
Hello to All,
Long story short, she wanted a Ram DRW so that's what we just ordered. I'm older, she's younger, so at times our wants/desires don't exactly mirror each other. Being this is her truck, she can make it how she wants. However, being the sponsor of this want, I'd like to keep costs somewhat in this atmosphere.
I know nothing of lifts / Rams / etc.
I'm asking for your guidance on the following. She wants some big ole lifted thing. We saw a lifted RAM on 37's (i'll admit it looked good to me also).
I could look all day under that truck and have no idea what made it like it was.
Can anyone give some advice on reasonably priced yet good quality level or lift kits for a 2024 3500 DRW that will accommodate a 37" tire.
I could go on the internet and google the BEST or the most Expensive, however, I'm hoping there's something y'all like that also doesn't break the bank.
95% of the time it'll be a kid hauler
5% of the time it's going to tow very very heavy!
Thank you for your time.

tchur1

Reaction score
Price is really subjective so a few clarifying questions might help:
1 - How much are you hoping to spend?
2 - Did you order the truck with auto level air suspension?
3 - tire clearance comes more from wheel spacing/offset than lift height - are you planning to run stock wheels or aftermarket?
4 - do you care if your rear tires are sticking out past the fenders? Its tough (if not impossible) to run 37s on a dually without rear spacers.

(BTW you might be able to clear 37s without a lift/level depending on your wheel setup) I have 37s on my truck on stock suspension and aftermarket wheels (method 701s) and it clears fine if im not flexing the truck at all but it will rub on the fender liners when it flexes.

new2rams

Reaction score
Price is really subjective so a few clarifying questions might help:
1 - How much are you hoping to spend?
2 - Did you order the truck with auto level air suspension?
3 - tire clearance comes more from wheel spacing/offset than lift height - are you planning to run stock wheels or aftermarket?
4 - do you care if your rear tires are sticking out past the fenders? Its tough (if not impossible) to run 37s on a dually without rear spacers.

(BTW you might be able to clear 37s without a lift/level depending on your wheel setup) I have 37s on my truck on stock suspension and aftermarket wheels (method 701s) and it clears fine if im not flexing the truck at all but it will rub on the fender liners when it flexes.

Hello there
thank you:
1) money always matters obviously. I don't have a "budget" but hoping to keep things within line. 2500 bucks seem reasonable?
2) It does not have auto level air suspension
3) She likes the wheels enough, so i'm hoping we can keep the stock "night" wheels
4) We don't mind if they stick out at all.
Is leveling more than likely what we should look at then? Instead of a lift?

werard

Reaction score
This article from Thuren may give you some help in planning out what you may want to do:

flan

Reaction score
Hello to All,
Long story short, she wanted a Ram DRW so that's what we just ordered. I'm older, she's younger, so at times our wants/desires don't exactly mirror each other. Being this is her truck, she can make it how she wants. However, being the sponsor of this want, I'd like to keep costs somewhat in this atmosphere.
I'm asking for your guidance on the following. She wants some big ole lifted thing. We saw a lifted RAM on 37's (i'll admit it looked good to me also).
I could look all day under that truck and have no idea what made it like it was.
Can anyone give some advice on reasonably priced yet good quality level or lift kits for a 2024 3500 DRW that will accommodate a 37" tire.
I could go on the internet and google the BEST or the most Expensive, however, I'm hoping there's something y'all like that also doesn't break the bank.
Thank you for your time.
You 2 lovers looking to adopt a son?

new2rams

Reaction score
This article from Thuren may give you some help in planning out what you may want to do:

Ah, thank you. Just thumbed through this and first thought might be to call Thuren and just talk through it. I believe there's more information in this article than a my very non mechanical brain can process. Amazing article yes, but I believe beyond my level of comprehension.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
not to be the negative one, but if she's going to be using it to tow heavy (horse trailer?) some additional considerations may need to be taken into account
the lifted ones look sharp no doubt, and someone will probably comment how it'll pull fine, but jacking it up quite a bit usually equates to modifications on the trailer side as well.

could maybe do a small lift and different wheel/tire setup and help out on your budget and still be practical while standing out.

new2rams

Reaction score
not to be the negative one, but if she's going to be using it to tow heavy (horse trailer?) some additional considerations may need to be taken into account
the lifted ones look sharp no doubt, and someone will probably comment how it'll pull fine, but jacking it up quite a bit usually equates to modifications on the trailer side as well.

could maybe do a small lift and different wheel/tire setup and help out on your budget and still be practical while standing out.

I don’t think that’s being negative. That’s intelligent thinking in my book.
The heavy towing will be all hitch (no goose or 5th) and will definitely be at max capacity.
It will tow one of these three things:
Dump trailer filled with road base
Skid steer
Mini excavator
I realize if using a goose or 5th we could tow much more by spec, however when towing any of these three above mentioned loads it’ll be at max payload before towing. That’s why I reference “heavy heavy”. It’ll at least be at the trucks max.
I don’t feel the height (drop hitch) will be an issue for “trailer angle”.
Does the lift or level and 37’s still pose something I should be concerned about with that information?
Literally, the other 95% if it’s lift it’ll be hauling kids to sports and such.

sanda

Reaction score

I was wondering if they were going to use it for a real truck or just a pavement princess. For all my years, which are many just about every suspension change I've seen has resulted in tradeoffs with handling, clearance issues, ride quality and/or combinations of all. I use my trucks and keep the factory setups.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello to All,
Thank you for your time.

What gears did you order with it?

For a DRW that tows I think I'd probably stick with a skinnier 35, like what @gimmie11s did with his DRW.

Nitto also has a 37x11.50R17, but that's starting to get wide for the stock rims.

tchur1

Reaction score
Hello there
thank you:
1) money always matters obviously. I don't have a "budget" but hoping to keep things within line. 2500 bucks seem reasonable?
2) It does not have auto level air suspension
3) She likes the wheels enough, so i'm hoping we can keep the stock "night" wheels
4) We don't mind if they stick out at all.
Is leveling more than likely what we should look at then? Instead of a lift?
Based on your responses to others in the thread I think its worth keeping the rear stock height and doing a level kit from Thuren or Carli. I think you can do just the front level spring from Thuren with Fox shocks for under $2k. That should level the truck and still maintain rear capacity for the times you load it up with your trailer. I dont think you can clear 37s without spacers on stock wheels due to their offset.

I think the largest tire that fits on those stock wheels is like 255/80/r17 or something like that.

new2rams

Reaction score
I was wondering if they were going to use it for a real truck or just a pavement princess. For all my years, which are many just about every suspension change I've seen has resulted in tradeoffs with handling, clearance issues, ride quality and/or combinations of all. I use my trucks and keep the factory setups.

My truck is a ‘97 power stroke pretty much stock minus some air flow type stuff. And she’s been a good little worker bee.
This new truck for the wifey, yea, it’s mostly a pavement princess……..but she deserves it…..so I’m happy to make it happen for her.

new2rams

Reaction score
What gears did you order with it?

For a DRW that tows I think I'd probably stick with a skinnier 35, like what @gimmie11s did with his DRW.

Nitto also has a 37x11.50R17, but that's starting to get wide for the stock rims.

4:10 gears. Honestly it’s just what it came with. But I’m happy with that. I am a bit nervous from my readings throwing a wide tire on a narrow stock wheel. That definitely is on my mind for sure.

new2rams

Reaction score
Based on your responses to others in the thread I think its worth keeping the rear stock height and doing a level kit from Thuren or Carli. I think you can do just the front level spring from Thuren with Fox shocks for under $2k. That should level the truck and still maintain rear capacity for the times you load it up with your trailer. I dont think you can clear 37s without spacers on stock wheels due to their offset.

I think the largest tire that fits on those stock wheels is like 255/80/r17 or something like that.

I just contacted a buddy of mine who’s familiar with this type of thing (much more so than myself at the least). He gave me a local guy who he trusts and does a lot of his friends trucks around here. I contacted him, told him my “wants”.
He suggested
1) leveling with 35’s
2) lifting with 37’s
He’s getting me a quote installed on both.
I’ll share when I receive.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I just contacted a buddy of mine who’s familiar with this type of thing (much more so than myself at the least). He gave me a local guy who he trusts and does a lot of his friends trucks around here. I contacted him, told him my “wants”.
He suggested
1) leveling with 35’s
2) lifting with 37’s
He’s getting me a quote installed on both.
I’ll share when I receive.

Just make it look thick and she'll love it.

BTW, $2500 *might* get you covered on tires.

new2rams

Reaction score
Just make it look thick and she'll love it.

BTW, $2500 *might* get you covered on tires.

Yes. I understand that. Was hoping the 2500 was for the level or suspension. Tires are a cost on top of that for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread