Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the Wifey wants the Wifey gets....but i need help

sstoner911

Reaction score
Correct, but the OP is trying to use the OEM night wheels… hence the spacers.
Which is terrible for that size tire...part of the reason I only went with a 285x70x7 on a stock wheel...still needed a spacer but I would never stick a 12 5" wide tire on a 6 in wide wheel and tow.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Which is terrible for that size tire...part of the reason I only went with a 285x70x7 on a stock wheel...still needed a spacer but I would never stick a 12 5" wide tire on a 6 in wide wheel and tow.

Agree, it’s too much tire for those wheels. Even a 285 is too wide, IMO. The 35x10.50 is about as big as I’d go on the 6” wheel, and even that’s a an inch narrow that the minimum wheel width.

Enve46

Reaction score
Just learned they are called R/T Trail vs the usual R/T. I guess it gives it a little more agressive look vs the standard without going to a full M/T. I'll for sure share the results. I've had wonderful experiences with the Toyo M/T's in the past. Not sure if much has changed with the company, but the ease of balance coupled with tire life has been beyond my expectations.
That’s good news as the RT trails seem to be better in the wet over than the RTs I had. Love the look better too

new2rams

Reaction score
Just another sidenote. We got the 8 year 150K mile warranty (i believe bumper to bumper).
Everything I've ever heard is it's a suckers bet. But every now and then, even the sucker wins. So i guess if the truck has a massive meltdown on her we will be safe. If not, we sure blew a lot of money for nothing.
She doesn't drive all that much, so we'll probably hit the 8 years prior to the 150k miles which is why we did the 8 year 150 vs the 5 year 150. So figure once our oldest get's it in five years, we'll still be able to avoid any costly repairs till he's out of high school.
Sorry, just sharing the journey.

new2rams

Reaction score
It's always a fine line between function and form.

285s were the line for me.

View attachment 67107
From my very short journey learning about Rams and lifts and all this stuff. I believe the Carli system does not alter the function (legal payload / tow) of the vehicle. In regards to tires, the general opinion is the 37x12.50 tires are just fine on the stock rims. Within the OPTIMAL range....no. However, acceptable without altering the trucks capabilities seems to be the general rule of thumb for this mixture of wheel and tire. I don't have a leg to stand on in regards to knowledge nor personal experience, just sharing what my research has taught me. My buddy drives a 19 with 35x12.50 tires on stock rims, and he tows and tows and tows. Not one complaint from him after 96k miles. That's why I didn't feel it's a safety risk.

new2rams

Reaction score
What brand is the warranty?
slightly embarrassed to admit this, but I just told the lady we'd take the warranty, and rolled on. The paperwork isn't in front of me or i'd look and share. This was more of a "get it before xmas" type thing. I didn't pay attention to a lot of the details.

Lonestar

Reaction score
With the aftermarket suspension if anything goes wrong that they lead back to the suspension and your warranty is worthless. Should have saved that money and put it in a CD

new2rams

Reaction score
With the aftermarket suspension if anything goes wrong that they lead back to the suspension and your warranty is worthless. Should have saved that money and put it in a CD
If my engine blows or leaks and they blame a shock, I won’t lose that battle. I may not have as many lawyers as they do, but I have a few. And we’ll keep them busy and public enough that we’ll have it all dolled up in our favor.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
slightly embarrassed to admit this, but I just told the lady we'd take the warranty, and rolled on. The paperwork isn't in front of me or i'd look and share. This was more of a "get it before xmas" type thing. I didn't pay attention to a lot of the details.

Take a look sooner than later. If you won’t hit the 150K miles in 8 years then I’d get a refund and buy the mopar max care 8/125K warranty, which I’m willing to bet is cheaper thru @zach@granger.

Docwagon1776

Reaction score

Generally you have a period in which you're allowed to cancel the warranty you purchased at no cost. If you want to take the sucker's bet, you can do it cheaper through Granger or the like vs just whatever they decided to charge you at the dealership. Unless you hate money or just like donating to the dealership.

phatboy64

Reaction score
RAM sell HDs lifted much higher then the OP is going and are covered by the MFG warrant. It would be pretty hard to prove….I asked my service manager specifically when I was lifting my truck if there would be an issue and he said anything under 4” and they could care less.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I will look into this tomorrow. Thank you
If it's an aftermarket warranty and you want to cancel it, just ask to see the list of exclusions. Then after reviewing exclusions, just politely tell them you don't want it. Most of the high dollar high risk items are typically excluded, like emissions equipment. I've even seen gaskets excluded, which of course includes a head gasket job.

Lonestar

Reaction score
RAM sell HDs lifted much higher then the OP is going and are covered by the MFG warrant. It would be pretty hard to prove….I asked my service manager specifically when I was lifting my truck if there would be an issue and he said anything under 4” and they could care less.
That’s because Ram is doing the work . some of these flyby night aftermarket companies are sketchy at best.

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
That’s because Ram is doing the work . some of these flyby night aftermarket companies are sketchy at best.

Everything we all refer to as "extended warranty" is really a service contract.
In my own language it's closer to an insurance policy than a warranty, regardless of who the company is.
Some of the providers will pay for OEM parts unless not available, others literally have language that says they will find the cheapest alternative lol.
Some have to have the work done at a CDJR dealership, others can be at any certified technician.
Devils in the details, That could be a WHOLE separate thread on it's own, though :)

UglyViking

Reaction score
From my very short journey learning about Rams and lifts and all this stuff. I believe the Carli system does not alter the function (legal payload / tow) of the vehicle. In regards to tires, the general opinion is the 37x12.50 tires are just fine on the stock rims. Within the OPTIMAL range....no. However, acceptable without altering the trucks capabilities seems to be the general rule of thumb for this mixture of wheel and tire. I don't have a leg to stand on in regards to knowledge nor personal experience, just sharing what my research has taught me. My buddy drives a 19 with 35x12.50 tires on stock rims, and he tows and tows and tows. Not one complaint from him after 96k miles. That's why I didn't feel it's a safety risk.
For what it's worth the SRW trucks have 8" wide wheels, while the DRW trucks are 6". Now, I realize that 2" isn't a lot (don't tell my wife that) but it makes a difference. I don't think it's a safety risk at all, just stating that there is a real difference between a 12.5" wide tire on a 6" wide wheel vs an 8" wide wheel.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I’d think a 12.5” tire on a 6” wide wheel would end up with a lot of side to side play in corners. Not that these trucks are ever going to be corner carvers, but I feel like it would make steering feel slow to catch up to inputs and add to instability when towing heavy.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
A throttle booster completely changes how the truck drives/feels.

It actually make the truck feel lighter with how much more responsive and peppy it becomes after the throttle booster.

Users who are viewing this thread