Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you guys use the 110v outlet for?

dm6

Reaction score
Just curious what most people use this for. Running/charging laptops, phones, video games, etc.? Maybe charging took batteries? Since there isn't a 12v outlet in the truck bed but there is one of these outlets, would it be good for get an actual AC pump for inflating inflatable beds, tubes, etc.? I guess I am just wondering what you guys have found it useful for.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just curious what most people use this for. Running/charging laptops, phones, video games, etc.? Maybe charging took batteries? Since there isn't a 12v outlet in the truck bed but there is one of these outlets, would it be good for get an actual AC pump for inflating inflatable beds, tubes, etc.? I guess I am just wondering what you guys have found it useful for.
Yes pumps work great off the outlet, i keep my milwaukee charger in the truck and use the outlet in the cab to keep my tool batteries that stay in the truck charged up

tgd

Reaction score
I have a 3 gallon 1/3hp air compressor that fits right in my Ram Box. The Ram Box has an A/C power outlet in there so it can plug in and run right from the Ram Box. It was very useful late one night when I had a flat on my trailer and the spare was low on air. You just have to be careful to find a compressor that doesn't pull too much power. I think it's 600 watts or something like that. It runs my compressor fine. Great for charging tools too. My Milwaukee charger does not leave the Ram Box.

Sponge60

Reaction score
I've used mine for charging tool batteries, but mostly for a lap top. Fairly handy option to have.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have a 3 gallon 1/3hp air compressor that fits right in my Ram Box. The Ram Box has an A/C power outlet in there so it can plug in and run right from the Ram Box. It was very useful late one night when I had a flat on my trailer and the spare was low on air. You just have to be careful to find a compressor that doesn't pull too much power. I think it's 600 watts or something like that. It runs my compressor fine. Great for charging tools too. My Milwaukee charger does not leave the Ram Box.
Its 400W if im not mistaken

dm6

Reaction score
Does the truck need to be running when using a pump or, just in general, to use the outlet?

mkmsr

Reaction score
I run laptop and cell modem, so the wife can work while we're on the road. It's been handy enough that I added to my new truck order.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

sstoner911

Reaction score
I use a small 3 gallon compressor on mine. It's 3amps so just under the limit of the outlet.

It will not run grinders or heat gun...I do use it to charge my battery for my impact.

Grey

Reaction score
I keep my Fluke battery plugged in. Some of these high tech voltmeters, like my Fluke that also read infra red/thermal, great tool, but terrible at sucking the battery dry when off. Plug behind the seat, and the battery fits right in the little cubby hole. Ready to go when needed.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I tried using the outlet in the box to charge a battery but it keeps shutting off after several minutes. Not sure how to keep it activated. Finally gave up. Sort of useless.

Jeff1759

Reaction score
Laptop, re-chargable razor and spotlight while on the road.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I used it for cooking lunch on my Traeger Ranger while we were in Yellowstone last Labor Day. Other than that just dopey little chargers and such.

Firebird

Reaction score
I charge up my portable battery pack that has 110 outlets, and USB outlets in it

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
I barely use mine. Only instances were laptop if I needed to work out of the truck for a while, or if I had a severely depleted phone and I was in the truck for a shorter hop and wanted to take advantage of fast charging with a cord out of my travel bag.

jebruns

Reaction score
I use the one in the middle console for my laptop. Not often though. On camping trips, we use it to power a compressor equipped cooler while driving. I've never used the power outlet that lives in one of my Ramboxes.

RAM_GA

Reaction score
The one in back of the cabin charges a bluetti battery pack, the one in the truck bed runs a dometic fridge/frezzer

jeffn

Reaction score
I have a Bodegacooler in my backseat. Works great.

I would like more plugs in cars and trucks. The cigarette lighter adapters are a relic the past. Between USB ports and 2 prong plugs, there is no reason to continue putting the old style plugs in vehicles.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have a Bodegacooler in my backseat. Works great.

I would like more plugs in cars and trucks. The cigarette lighter adapters are a relic the past. Between USB ports and 2 prong plugs, there is no reason to continue putting the old style plugs in vehicles.
Well it really depends on what you are using if you need 6v then yes usb works if you need 110v then the ac outlet works but there are plenty of 12V accessory's that run off the 12V plug they are not relics. I use my 12V plugs often enough

Users who are viewing this thread