Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you guys use the 110v outlet for?

jeffn

Reaction score
Well it really depends on what you are using if you need 6v then yes usb works if you need 110v then the ac outlet works but there are plenty of 12V accessory's that run off the 12V plug they are not relics. I use my 12V plugs often enough
12v electrical systems are a limiting factor. You will see these getting replaced by 48v systems in the model years to come.

Mobrules

Reaction score
I use mine to charge ecoflow battery. Takes about 5 hours but cold nights the ecoflow runs heated blanket. Having the 400 watt outlet is very useful. Currently doing a trip around the country.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
12v electrical systems are a limiting factor. You will see these getting replaced by 48v systems in the model years to come.
12V is not limiting besides with the electric vehicle mandates it will all be 300V next lol. 24V/48V systems have been used in equipment and some heavy trucks in the past it is not anything new but i doubt we will see it in the automotive industry its nothing that would benefit the automotive industry in an extreme way

Last edited:

CortexM0

Reaction score
I mostly use mine to power a Starlink in-motion system. Having fast enough internet to hop onto a video call (even hours from cell service) completely changed my vacation last summer.

Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 9.51.48 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-31 at 9.56.13 PM.png

jeffn

Reaction score
12V is not limiting besides with the electric vehicle mandates it will all be 300V next lol. 24V/48V systems have been used in equipment and some heavy trucks in the past it is not anything new but i doubt we will see it in the automotive industry its nothing that would benefit the automotive industry in an extreme way
It is limiting for well-understood reasons. Drive by wire systems, electronic suspensions, mild hybrid systems, and redesigning subsystems (AC, power steering, coolant pumps) to take them off the engine requires wiring harnesses that significantly increase weight and volume. The higher voltages reduce resistive losses. 48v is optimal while staying below the steep safety and performance requirements when you go above 60v.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Haven't used mine. Hell, I don't even know if the outlet is alive when the truck is off or if the truck must be running.

Guess I have something to do today ha

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Haven't used mine. Hell, I don't even know if the outlet is alive when the truck is off or if the truck must be running.

Guess I have something to do today ha
The in cab one is off when the truck is off

Jack M

Reaction score
I have used the outlet in the box twice.
It will work with a battery charger.
It will not run my shop vac. Not much use as far as I am concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread