Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do TO your RAM today?

Hawk375

Reaction score
I know it is probably an impossible ask, but I wonder how this compares to the Carli sway bar... definitely a better price than the Carli model for sure.

I’d say they do the same thing, but the Carli has adjustable end links and requires more assembly. The Thuren to me was easier to install and cost less. I liked the idea of having grease points too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpidgie

Reaction score
I just watche'd all 15.5 minutes if that video. Banks is definitly proven equipment, they even said, no foot print. Basically same cost, $300, that's reasonable, now I've got to find a coupon and do some negotiating. That will be the one that I go with. Thanks for that post.

I've got the pedal commander, and I'm not super happy with it. I bought it to get rid of the dead pedal, but it only steps on the pedal harder and faster than my foot can. Here is my impression of how it had changed the truck, please let me know if the Banks is similar:

• pre pedal commander:
    • step on gas 50%, 1-2 second dead-pedal, turbo spools, and you get 50% throttle in 3 seconds (arbitrary value)
  • post pedal commander:
    • step on gas 50%, 1-2 second dead-pedal, turbo spools, and you get 50% throttle in 1.5 seconds (again arbitrary, but 50% quicker)

I'm really looking to get rid of the dead pedal if possible, and will be willing to get the Banks if it helps. Looking at the video, I'm not too convinced.

anyone want to buy a pedal commander? lol

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I've got the pedal commander, and I'm not super happy with it. I bought it to get rid of the dead pedal, but it only steps on the pedal harder and faster than my foot can. Here is my impression of how it had changed the truck, please let me know if the Banks is similar:

• pre pedal commander:
    • step on gas 50%, 1-2 second dead-pedal, turbo spools, and you get 50% throttle in 3 seconds (arbitrary value)
  • post pedal commander:
    • step on gas 50%, 1-2 second dead-pedal, turbo spools, and you get 50% throttle in 1.5 seconds (again arbitrary, but 50% quicker)

I'm really looking to get rid of the dead pedal if possible, and will be willing to get the Banks if it helps. Looking at the video, I'm not too convinced.

I definitly like what I read. Don't hold your breath on me, Im waiting to see if they send out anymore stimulus before I do anymore Major purchases, but banks apears to be the way I'm going on the pedal end.

20Limited3500

Reaction score

• pre pedal commander:
  • post pedal commander:

Is your truck HO with Aisin trans? I ask this because I tried something similar on the 2016 I had with HO and Aisin trans but used the BD Power throttle enhancer. Never really did much for me. It leads me to believe there is some torque management going on with the Aisin possibly and any enhancement in throttle with these devices is barely noticeable due to that. But I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first, and it won't be the last, either. lol

Back in the day when I had my 2005 2500, I ran a Smarty tuner and you could easily get quicker throttle response with it. I actually miss that from that truck.
Like others had said, it is almost dangerous to pull out if you don't have time for it to spool up and get moving. I've even gone as far as power braking a little to get it spooled a little if I find myself in that situation. I even complained about it with my 2016 to my dealer. They did some trans program update for a 1-2 shift or something. But it really made no noticeable difference with it.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Is your truck HO with Aisin trans? I ask this because I tried something similar on the 2016 I had with HO and Aisin trans but used the BD Power throttle enhancer. Never really did much for me. It leads me to believe there is some torque management going on with the Aisin possibly and any enhancement in throttle with these devices is barely noticeable due to that. But I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first, and it won't be the last, either. lol

Back in the day when I had my 2005 2500, I ran a Smarty tuner and you could easily get quicker throttle response with it. I actually miss that from that truck.
Like others had said, it is almost dangerous to pull out if you don't have time for it to spool up and get moving. I've even gone as far as power braking a little to get it spooled a little if I find myself in that situation. I even complained about it with my 2016 to my dealer. They did some trans program update for a 1-2 shift or something. But it really made no noticeable difference with it.
I complained as well, works as designed was what I got, so im supposed to sit In the middle of the intersection while everyone is blowing there horns to get going gramps

jpidgie

Reaction score
Mike, I do not have the HO, just the lowly "small" 6.7 with 68RFE :)

I find myself doing the power braking to get going when I really need it. Aggravating that an engine with the power that it has, needs that much caressing to get it moving safely.

I'm truly curious to hear if the Banks operates similar to mine. I'd even entertain the idea of meeting a fellow Coloradoan that has one to compare the two side by side. I do like the safety features that Banks has in place, but wish that it also offered a 12v tap, and not necessarily the OBD connection. Now... if they made it a OBD passthrough, I'd be all for it. Seems like a PITA to disconnect the throttle controller just to reconnect AlfaOBD when you want to experiment with new settings -which I find myself doing often.

jpidgie

Reaction score
I definitly like what I read. Don't hold your breath on me, Im waiting to see if they send out anymore stimulus before I do anymore Major purchases, but banks apears to be the way I'm going on the pedal end.
Rich - I think you already have your stimulus... getting the #$%^ out of intersections!

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score

I find myself doing the power braking to get going when I really need it. Aggravating that an engine with the power that it has, needs that much caressing to get it moving safely.

I'm truly curious to hear if the Banks operates similar to mine. I'd even entertain the idea of meeting a fellow Coloradoan that has one to compare the two side by side. I do like the safety features that Banks has in place, but wish that it also offered a 12v tap, and not necessarily the OBD connection. Now... if they made it a OBD passthrough, I'd be all for it. Seems like a PITA to disconnect the throttle controller just to reconnect AlfaOBD when you want to experiment with new settings -which I find myself doing often.
When I was reading the banks info last night they even have an obdll splitter harness for either 20 or 30 or 40 bucks??? That you can plug in your banks pedal monster plus have another obdll port for quick access for you tweaking guys

jadmt

Reaction score
Hit 1100 miles and dumped the oil. I usually don't go that long on a first oil change but the mileage minder was showing oil still at 95%. I had read that the 6.4L was a pain to change the filter but i did not find it to be an issue I have a power wagon and there was plenty of room to grab it and remove it. biggest issue I had was finding Pennzoil ultra plus in 0-40. None of the usual places ie AZ, Napa, Walmart, O'rielys etc carried it. I found a couple of cases at an oil distribution center for $50 for 6 quarts. More than I wanted to spend as usually you get those 5 quart jugs for like $25 but no where to be found today any way.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

When I was reading the banks info last night they even have an obdll splitter harness for either 20 or 30 or 40 bucks??? That you can plug in your banks pedal monster plus have another obdll port for quick access for you tweaking guys

My history with Banks is that they do not play well splitting the OBD connection. Perhaps their pedal monster is different. FWIW, OBD splitters are $10-12 on Amazon.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score

I have no idea if this transfers to our trucks or not. When I was a truck driver, i had a big Cummins in my garbage truck. I break torqued that thing at every stop, and it would shoot out of the whole like a car. After 18 months i was already noticing the ill affects of not taking care of that motor. It might of all just be in my head ( wich most things are) but it was definitly wore out and did not have the tq out of the whole even while break torquing. I have a hard time believing that I did not do damage by doing that, but I'm not a certified professional technician, just certified o_O and know to much to get me in trouble;)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Brake stands are hard on the TC clutches.

The launch can put more shock stress on driveline components.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong... the preloading of the turbo only occurs when I’m needing to get her moving, like shooting across 6 lanes without a traffic light :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha, I'd be to dang scared in this truck to try that. Now don't get me wrong, once she spools up, it's off to the haus show, but pulling out from a stop or a slow roll, foget a bout et !!!

Trooper

Reaction score
Installed my Decked system today, finally arrived, two hours to install. This is well put together and easy to build up, impressed with the quality. it even had the cut outs for my bed tie downs which I though I may have had to modify. I am installed the bed rails over the coming weekend so I can strap things down on the bed.
I did mount on top of the bedbug, this makes the J bolts a little tough to lock in place as the threads barely start, but a got the rears on eventually, I may pull it out remove the it but then storing it is a pain.
Only thing that is awkward is reaching the button to manually turn on the bed lights, but not impossible

20Limited3500

Reaction score

Well, there goes my theory on torque management then. Maybe it is across the board with the Cummins and autos.

Back when I raced my 2005, I'd launch between 10-15 psi of boost to get off the line while in 4wd with trap times in the low 12s to high 11s (elevation and ambient temps made a big difference) at 114 mph. Overall boost was up to 65-70 psi for a 1/4 mile run. Talk about abuse to a drive train. lol

jsalbre

Reaction score
Hit 1100 miles and dumped the oil. I usually don't go that long on a first oil change but the mileage minder was showing oil still at 95%. I had read that the 6.4L was a pain to change the filter but i did not find it to be an issue I have a power wagon and there was plenty of room to grab it and remove it. biggest issue I had was finding Pennzoil ultra plus in 0-40. None of the usual places ie AZ, Napa, Walmart, O'rielys etc carried it. I found a couple of cases at an oil distribution center for $50 for 6 quarts. More than I wanted to spend as usually you get those 5 quart jugs for like $25 but no where to be found today any way.

You did an oil change at 1100 miles? Was something wrong to cause you to change it that early?

jadmt

Reaction score
You did an oil change at 1100 miles? Was something wrong to cause you to change it that early?
nope i just like changing the first time early in fact usually prior to 1000 miles. I bought my first new truck in 1977 and some 50 new vehicles(cars, trucks and motorcycles) later still change the first time early. Is it necessary? probably not but makes me feel good and is easy to do.

Users who are viewing this thread