Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do TO your RAM today?

JP426

Reaction score
My local dealer finally had the parts to complete the grid heater relay recall on my 22. While it was there, they also replaced my torn column shift boot under warranty. The only outstanding recall I have now is for the particulate matter sensor. I'm not too worried about that one since my truck runs great.

tcedgar8

Reaction score
My local dealer finally had the parts to complete the grid heater relay recall on my 22. While it was there, they also replaced my torn column shift boot under warranty. The only outstanding recall I have now is for the particulate matter sensor. I'm not too worried about that one since my truck runs great.
Whats with the grid heater update? Is it a Nyloc nut or something because of the nut stud coming off?

JP426

Reaction score
Whats with the grid heater update? Is it a Nyloc nut or something because of the nut stud coming off?
It is the electrical controller that sends power to the grid heater, the old one could short out and cause a fire. It is different than the killer bolt that sometimes fails and destroys the engine.

tcedgar8

Reaction score
It is the electrical controller that sends power to the grid heater, the old one could short out and cause a fire. It is different than the killer bolt that sometimes fails and destroys the engine.
Must be new to the 22? and newer I dropped mine off this morning and they didn't have that for my 19'

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Must be new to the 22? and newer I dropped mine off this morning and they didn't have that for my 19'

re: Grid heater relay (not to be confused with Grid Heater Bolt)

19-20 have the old style solenoid.

21+ trucks use a Solid State Relay that had to be redesigned due to the original design's propensity to short closed and burn down trucks.

CdnHO

Reaction score
re: Grid heater relay (not to be confused with Grid Heater Bolt)

19-20 have the old style solenoid.

21+ trucks use a Solid State Relay that had to be redesigned due to the original design's propensity to short closed and burn down trucks.
They have been using mechanical solenoids on the grid heaters forever. Seldom an issue. But hey, if it works, let's mess with it to see if we can break it.

unclelala

Reaction score
They have been using mechanical solenoids on the grid heaters forever. Seldom an issue. But hey, if it works, let's mess with it to see if we can break it.
My guess would be it was all about cost savings

Benson

Reaction score
I finally got around to moving the plug for the trailer rear view camera from the bumper to inside the bed where it should have been in the first place. ( I know there is another thread for this but since I did it today I figured it would fit here too). I removed the plug from the bumper and kept adding lengths of wire to make sure the camera would still work or at least at what point it stopped working. I used a 1 foot Fakra Z cable to move the plug and there was plenty of slack. I wanted to put the plug right under the other 2 plugs but there was not enough room for it to fit so it ended up where it is. I used a few popsicle sticks epoxied behind the bed as a backer and I put double sided 3M molding tape on the back of the plug. I added a 16.5-foot Fakra cable between the RAM factory camera and the cable that came with it then ran it down the side of my house to make sure the distance didn't affect anything. That give me about 60+ feet of cable so I should be good to run all the way to the back of my 43-foot 5th wheel and up the back wall for camera mounting. I tried adding a 6 foor R-58 cable to the front end of the cable but it made the mirror view flicker and flash so I removed that and it went back to normal. Once I had everything hooked up, I checked the camera, and everything worked great except I had the camera upside down. I put the truck in drive and reverse and it still worked, the camera even angled down when in reverse. Now I just need to find another plug to put in the rear bumper and mount the camera on the camper.

Attachments

• Mirror.jpeg
    Mirror.jpeg
    389.8 KB · Views: 49
  • inside bed.jpeg
    inside bed.jpeg
    811.4 KB · Views: 50
  • connected cables.jpeg
    connected cables.jpeg
    986.1 KB · Views: 48
  • camera.jpeg
    camera.jpeg
    884.8 KB · Views: 46
  • cables.jpeg
    cables.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 47

batman900

Reaction score
KUMHO AT52 285/65-R20. These had good reviews and did well on TireRack's test. Decided to save $300 over Cooper or Falken and try them out. They Ride smooth and pretty dang quiet, no noticeable balancing issues. Sadly the dealer did put some scratches on the wheels.

I went to Discount Tire for my last 2 vehicles and they scratched them the same way so I thought I'd try the dealer. At least it's less noticeable on brushed aluminum.

IMG_2105.jpgIMG_2103.jpg

Lonestar

Reaction score
Is that a diesel ? I always wanted to order PW brackets for my HO but dented the bumper so ill just replace it with a steel one
Nope, hemi. I am pretty sure you can not put a winch behind the bumper with a cummins because of the inner cooler

MarkCO1

Reaction score
"Installed" 5 missing screws for the front fenders/wheel well liners. Check the air filter (Dealer said it was new, but I have trust issues) and it was new, but the connection on the clean side of the airbox was loose. Fixed that all up as well. Generally made sure things were where they were supposed to be underneath. Fixed a few wire loom retainers that had popped out.

Took off the tailgate, cleaned inside and put some bed liner on it. The bed had it, but the tailgate did not. While I was in there, I tightened up the nuts that hold the tailgate latch assembly in place as they were loose.

2024-03-01 15.09.43.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread