Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do TO your RAM today?

JP426

Reaction score
I received the grid heater relay recall in the mail Friday stating that the parts are available. I took a drive to my local dealer to see if I could set up an appointment to get all of the recalls done at the same time. I was told they can't get the relays in sufficient quantity to fix all of the trucks that have come in for the recall. They said they could take care of the tailgate and trans dipstick/vent, if I wanted to get those done. I told them to go ahead and complete those recalls while I waited. It took about an hour and a half, they washed my truck and topped off the DEF fluid. The dipstick is a full length locking dipstick, so I am still able to check the fluid level.
No ETA on when they think they will have enough relays to complete that recall.

Bombaman

Reaction score
About to change out tires, and want to keep wheel weights off the outside of my duals. So decided to go this route instead of balance beads. Good thing is they constantly balance all loads. Get some rocks in your treads? Balanced, Stick-On weight fell off? Balanced. I've done plenty of reading on them, enough to be comfortable enough to fork out $400 for F/R sets.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
About to change out tires, and want to keep wheel weights off the outside of my duals. So decided to go this route instead of balance beads. Good thing is they constantly balance all loads. Get some rocks in your treads? Balanced, Stick-On weight fell off? Balanced. I've done plenty of reading on them, enough to be comfortable enough to fork out $400 for F/R sets.
You shouldn’t be running stick-on weights if you have balance beads / rings. I’m sure That was probably just an example and you know better.

I use counteract ceramic beads in all my rigs with beadlock wheels.

Bombaman

Reaction score
When using Centramatics, they refer to it as "Pre-Balancing", they say its not required, but its not explicitly recomended against; downside is likley just adding to more un-sprung weight.

Should the tires/wheels be pre-balanced?

In most cases, pre-balancing is not required. However, if a vibration still exits after installation, a computer balance of the problem position can indicate a mis-mounted or defective tire, a bent wheel or other "out of round" condition, which balancing alone cannot correct. Wheel bearings should also be checked and defective parts replaced.

EDIT: I'm not an expert on them by any means, just have done a lot of research and reviewing what I belive are actual independant reviews.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
When using Centramatics, they refer to it as "Pre-Balancing", they say its not required, but its not explicitly recomended against; downside is likley just adding to more un-sprung weight.

In most cases, pre-balancing is not required. However, if a vibration still exits after installation, a computer balance of the problem position can indicate a mis-mounted or defective tire, a bent wheel or other "out of round" condition, which balancing alone cannot correct. Wheel bearings should also be checked and defective parts replaced.

EDIT: I'm not an expert on them by any means, just have done a lot of research and reviewing what I belive are actual independant reviews.
Interesting, thanks. Using ceramic balance beads is specifically stated to remove all wheel weights beforehand

engweld22

Reaction score
Added Banks exhaust. Wouldn't really recommend unless you like the look and have money to burn. PITA to install and had to modify tube connecting to the DPF since there seems to be an alignment pin there. And got it detailed and ceramic coated.

Attachments

• 20230508_135627.jpg
    20230508_135627.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • 20230508_135654.jpg
    20230508_135654.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230508_135715.jpg
    20230508_135715.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 20230508_135804.jpg
    20230508_135804.jpg
    774.8 KB · Views: 74

Poolmonkey

Reaction score

Have them on my PW, bought trying to live with mud tires. When Discount put on the existing they balanced with weights. I left them on and silky smooth.

CFE

Reaction score
@engweld22 Jay from Banks here. What year is your RAM? We haven't seen that alignment pin before. I'm going to show our Mechanical Engineering team to ensure we make a provision for the pin. For future reference, I'm at jtilles at bankspower dot com if you have any questions.
Banks coming through, showing why they are top shelf and full of class.

JayRAMHO

Reaction score
@engweld22 Jay from Banks here again. I stand corrected. I consulted with our engineering team, specifically Nolan, who heads up our tube shop. The locating pin is indeed present in all 4th and 5th gen exhausts. He explained that our Monster-Exhaust is designed to butt up against the tab, not go past it. This would also explain why there's no mention of modifying or cutting our pipe in the instructions. Additionally, the clamp should be placed over the cuts in Banks pipe. By placing the clamp on the pipe directly over the cuts, it allows the Banks pipe to constrict around the stock one. I've indicated where the clamp should land in the attached photo. So, if you're able, please slide the pipe back 1/2" or so then reposition the clamp and tighten it down. This will prevent any leaks.

Attachments

• ram-clamp-location.jpg
    ram-clamp-location.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 60

engweld22

Reaction score
@engweld22 Jay from Banks here again. I stand corrected. I consulted with our engineering team, specifically Nolan, who heads up our tube shop. The locating pin is indeed present in all 4th and 5th gen exhausts. He explained that our Monster-Exhaust is designed to butt up against the tab, not go past it. This would also explain why there's no mention of modifying or cutting our pipe in the instructions. Additionally, the clamp should be placed over the cuts in Banks pipe. By placing the clamp on the pipe directly over the cuts, it allows the Banks pipe to constrict around the stock one. I've indicated where the clamp should land in the attached photo. So, if you're able, please slide the pipe back 1/2" or so then reposition the clamp and tighten it down. This will prevent any leaks.
I have a 2023 2500 Mega Cab. Thanks for reaching out and the added information. I am aware the clamps are to be located over the slotted portion of the tube. The reason why I made the notch, was so the pipe would have enough clearance by the rear of the vehicle. It was and still is making contact with the spare tire shroud. But it's not a big deal ATM. I pulled everything towards the front of the truck as much as I could.

BTW, have you guys been able to fix the code issue with your CAI or should I send it back?

JayRAMHO

Reaction score
I have a 2023 2500 Mega Cab. Thanks for reaching out and the added information. I am aware the clamps are to be located over the slotted portion of the tube. The reason why I made the notch, was so the pipe would have enough clearance by the rear of the vehicle. It was and still is making contact with the spare tire shroud. But it's not a big deal ATM. I pulled everything towards the front of the truck as much as I could.

BTW, have you guys been able to fix the code issue with your CAI or should I send it back?
Ahh. That makes. We tested quite a few for clearance. However, we've learned that the Ram chassis and hanger mounts can vary as much as .25" from truck to truck. I'll let the engineers know that yours is making contact with the shroud. Regarding the Ram-Air intake, we have a few 2022/23 RAM owners data logging for us in order to capture and rectify the EGR excessive flow code. Looking at the numbers of intakes sold vs those getting the code, less than 3% of RAMs exhibit the issue. Although I anticipate solving the issue, I cannot say how fast it will happen. I'd be happy to issue a refund if you like. Please email your contact info to me at jtilles at bankspower dot com.

engweld22

Reaction score
Ahh. That makes. We tested quite a few for clearance. However, we've learned that the Ram chassis and hanger mounts can vary as much as .25" from truck to truck. I'll let the engineers know that yours is making contact with the shroud. Regarding the Ram-Air intake, we have a few 2022/23 RAM owners data logging for us in order to capture and rectify the EGR excessive flow code. Looking at the numbers of intakes sold vs those getting the code, less than 3% of RAMs exhibit the issue. Although I anticipate solving the issue, I cannot say how fast it will happen. I'd be happy to issue a refund if you like. Please email your contact info to me at jtilles at bankspower dot com.
No, it's fine, I guess it just seems like ones with issues voice more than the ones that don't, so it appeared that the code problem was more common than just 3%. I can take my chance with that, since I have the boost tubes and the Ram intake already. Was just waiting on more information before installing it all at one time. Thank you for the information!

Users who are viewing this thread