Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do TO your RAM today?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not sure under hood is a good place for that.

Operating Temperature: -4° to 104° F (-20° to 40° C)
Storage Temperature: -22° to 140° F (-30° to 60° C)

Guess I should set mine up on the home automation like the block heater (currently below 20F). :) Pretty rare it gets -4F here in the winter though.

That said, I saw this on a forum (so it must be true right?):
Called NOCO and the reason it says the operating temp only down to 32 degrees is that that don't want people trying to charge a frozen battery. I was told it's been tested down to -20. I asked if it will work at -40 and was told yes. He did say it would be a good idea to leave it plugged in to the outlet at cold temps because just being on will keep it warm.

I've a little BatteryTender Junior brick I keep on my ATV (under a cover) all the time and it's not supposed to be used below 32F and has never had an issue.

ETA: Actually, I've been thinking about using an HA rule to cycle the block heater on/off depending on my presence, the weather, and perhaps even add a temp probe to monitor the block temp... Life360 broke their API so I'm trying to make some other presence detection options work reliably first.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Guess I should set mine up on the home automation like the block heater (currently below 20F). :) Pretty rare it gets -4F here in the winter though.
I’m not too concerned about the cold since mine is in my shop and even when we get that cold it’s not that cold in my shop.

I’m more concerned about the heat. Even on a cold day the under hood temps can exceed the limits.

Right…. Then again they rate them to -4° already, so not sure what the 32° talk is about.
ETA: Actually, I've been thinking about using an HA rule to cycle the block heater on/off depending on my presence, the weather, and perhaps even add a temp probe to monitor the block temp... Life360 broke their API so I'm trying to make some other presence detection options work reliably first.

Can’t hurt…

DougB

Reaction score
Had the S&B 55 gallon tank (part number 10-1009) installed. Didn’t get an after photo yet with it full but it tucks under really well. Sticks down maybe 1-1/2 to 2” lower than stock.

Used AlfaOBD to easily adjust the tank capacity to 194 liters (51.25 gallons).

Filled it using a high flow nozzle. Had to use the first notch for 7-8 gallons and then it would take the 2nd notch until about 39 and then I just held it by hand around 1-1/2 till it clicked off for good at just under 50. There was probably 5 gallons transferred over from the stock tank so the 55 gallons claim is accurate from my experience.

FD08F0E9-C03C-4370-B9D0-54D56F29FA66.jpeg

jsalbre

Reaction score

I've a little BatteryTender Junior brick I keep on my ATV (under a cover) all the time and it's not supposed to be used below 32F and has never had an issue.

I use my Ecobee thermostat sensors for presence detection. Of course, they’re only detecting that “someone” is there, not necessarily me.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I use my Ecobee thermostat sensors for presence detection. Of course, they’re only detecting that “someone” is there, not necessarily me.

Ours is a little more (maybe too much) complex with phone locations, geofencing, etc.

Life360 was reliable but they burned API access to the ground. Now just trying to figure out and pick a winner among several other contenders that will work best with my HA hub.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Ours is a little more (maybe too much) complex with phone locations, geofencing, etc.

Life360 was reliable but they burned API access to the ground. Now just trying to figure out and pick a winner among several other contenders that will work best with my HA hub.
My old house was complex and I had phone location tied in, but I’ve barely done much with this house. My RV’s NodeRed system has satisfied my need for building automation lately.

R.Duff7

Reaction score
Oil/ Filter change on a hill, went with amsoil. Dealer wanted to much to do it. 1000011828.jpg

Also just got the truck back from getting the 4inch BDS kit removed and the Carli 3.25 kit put in with the air ride leaf pack, radius arms, drop brackets, weld in isolators etc. Rides like a dream so far.
Thanks to West Coast offroaders for dealing with the transfer case indexing kit removal and install.

Just waiting for the rear shock rock guards.
Had the kings wrapped in protective film to to help in the wet west coast weather.

Just gotta swap out the steering dampers to be BDS free. Gotta scotchbrite the frame/ Rear and spray everything black.

1000011766.jpg1000011767.jpg1000011764.jpg

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
Oil/ Filter change on a hill, went with amsoil. Dealer wanted to much to do it. View attachment 69653

Also just got the truck back from getting the 4inch BDS kit removed and the Carli 3.25 kit put in with the air ride leaf pack, radius arms, drop brackets, weld in isolators etc. Rides like a dream so far.
Thanks to West Coast offroaders for dealing with the transfer case indexing kit removal and install.

Just waiting for the rear shock rock guards.
Had the kings wrapped in protective film to to help in the wet west coast weather.

Just gotta swap out the steering dampers to be BDS free. Gotta scotchbrite the frame/ Rear and spray everything black.

View attachment 69655View attachment 69656View attachment 69657
Turn your truck around ;)

jsalbre

Reaction score

CdnHO

Reaction score
She got some love today. Wheels polished and waxed. Exterior washed and polished. Did a 400 mile trip to rescue a border collie and 8 one month old puppies last week and I must have killed every bug in Texas. She’s looking good. IMG_2427.jpegIMG_2426.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread