Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are some must haves in your truck and where do you keep them?

Frank

Reaction score
The #1 thing that stays in my truck, hidden and secured, at all times is spare keys for everything that is not my house. Storage unit, boat, camper, various hitch locks, etc. Can't tell you how many times I had to run home to go get keys.

I also keep a first aid kit, headlamp, and duffel bag full of straps and tie downs.

Don't know why you guys waste space on TP unless you are wearing flip flops.

JC82 HD2500

Reaction score
The #1 thing that stays in my truck, hidden and secured, at all times is spare keys for everything that is not my house. Storage unit, boat, camper, various hitch locks, etc. Can't tell you how many times I had to run home to go get keys.

I also keep a first aid kit, headlamp, and duffel bag full of straps and tie downs.

Some of us travel with spouse and kids that are too good for leaves and when the kids have to go...they HAVE to go now.

Frank

Reaction score
Some of us travel with spouse and kids that are too good for leaves and when the kids have to go...they HAVE to go now.

We went through the "I'm about to pee my pants!" out of the blue phase. Where we live you can sometimes go 30+ minutes between gas stations/bathrooms, but you can also go 30+ minutes between safe places to pull over even if you wanted to use the woods. We had to nip that in the bud because it was getting dangerous and my daughter didn't need to pee half the time, she just wanted to go in the convenience store and try to con some candy.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Interesting to see that most of us truck guys carry a sidearm/ defense weapon in the truck. Dodge should jump on the wagon and offer a secure , easy access compartment for us
I would love to be allowed to carry but thats not going to happen here in canada in my lifetime i bet

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Interesting to see that most of us truck guys carry a sidearm/ defense weapon in the truck. Dodge should jump on the wagon and offer a secure , easy access compartment for us.
That would be a polarizing decision which could cost them clientele purely based on the political implications. I just don't see it happening.

Frank

Reaction score

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Ford has had one for years. It's a safe wink wink. My last two Fords also had a keylock on the standard console to deter the honest people who wouldn't just smash the lid.

https://accessories.ford.com/compartment-asy-stowage-11282.html
That isn't Ford, just a Console Vault resold by Ford accessories. Mopar resells similar as well, but they're not OEM and not specifically marketed for weapons as the post I replied to was referring.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
That would be a polarizing decision which could cost them clientele purely based on the political implications. I just don't see it happening.
As much as I bash my Chevy I had prior to the Ram this is one of the VERY few things I miss. It had a built in lockable compartment in the center console that just used the truck key. It was plenty big enough for even my largest handguns and several spare mags.

Frank

Reaction score
That isn't Ford, just a Console Vault resold by Ford accessories. Mopar resells similar as well, but they're not OEM and not specifically marketed for weapons as the post I replied to was referring.

What other purpose would a safe in your truck serve? I don't tend to store my legal paperwork in the truck, nor am I running cash payroll out of the console. If you are just talking about the marketing, they may not be able to call it a gun safe because it wouldn't be legal to store a firearm there in every state.

And the keylock on the center console is 100% OEM and something I wish we had, not just for guns.

Reaction score
Funny you mention this, over the last couple of years that some people become " woke" I see a lot of company's have employed young media graduates to do advertising and it seems their personal opinion seeps into the ads. I'm an old (62) conservative craft beer guy and and the majority of a craft brew business is the 21-50 year range. A lot of their social media ads bashed on the last administration. I find it odd that the boss lets this happen as a full 50% of the U.S.A. population voted for the conservatives. Wouldn't one think a for profit business would want to get as many customers as possible? I know that many have lost my $$ over this. All they had to do is stay nonpolitical.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score

Ah Frank.......your time is coming on the TP remark......lol! Better to have and not need"............I 2nd the keys, god knows how many times I have left needed keys at home.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
In every vehicle I own, trimmed down for the motorcycles of course.

Spare weapon, and at least on spare mag. Usually two or more.
Trauma first aid kit.
Emergency shelter.
Emergency sleeping bag.
Water purification 'straw', with detachable pump.
Approx. 500 ft of paracord.
As complete a tool set as is possible, with LOTS of different size zip ties.
Ratchet straps.
Electrical & duct tape.
Folding ax & shovel.
Flares.
Solar powered rechargeable flashlight and small solar lantern.
Red & Blue loc-tite.
Various fire starters.

I do not understand why anyone would waste space for TP. Leaves will surfice in an absolute emergency, and they are literally EVERYWHERE except in deserts! So I would carry some emergency TP, if I was heading into the desert.
Here in the Midwest, it’s corncobs. You haven’t lived until you use a corncob!

JC82 HD2500

Reaction score
Ah Frank.......your time is coming on the TP remark......lol! Better to have and not need"............I 2nd the keys, god knows how many times I have left needed keys at home.
I always keep an extra set of keys in my truck as well. The camper is stored an hour away and I've played the "aw crap" game too many times.

raggdoll

Reaction score
Haven't seen mention yet of a seatbelt cutter or glass breaker within reach.

In cab:
Spare hats, eyepro, earpro, binos
Weapons, spare mags, couple boxes of range 9mm
Targets, stapler
Small fixed blade knife with glass breaker attached to a seatbelt cutter
Small bag under rear seat with fuses, lamps, hot hands, small toolkit
Bushcraft knife, mostly keep a KA-BAR Becker BK2 under the back seat
Hatchet
Fire extinguishers
flashlights, batterys
First aid kit
IFAK including CAT and shears, extra quick clot pack (in every vehicle and my travel backpack)
Trailer plug adapters
tire gauges
Gloves
Water bottles in every door
Battery jump pack
Colorado mandatory butt wipe
One meelion keys for all the locks on everything

Toolbox
Assorted recovery gear, straps, chains, clevis, etc.
ratchet straps, bungee cords, 'biners,
flares
emergency triangle kit
tools
torque wrench
spare bearings for trailers
grease gun in plastic bag
one arm clay thrower
DEF filler tube
bottles of XPD
spare oil and fuel filters
funnels
rags
large pin tent stakes, hammer/trencher
SOG kit with axe, trenching tool, machete

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things that get stashed and forgotten until needed and I dig around mumbling, WTF did I put that?
Nice list....

Users who are viewing this thread