Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valvoline vs Rotella vs Amsoil

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. I read the material sheets and only saw it on the AMSOIL. Might have missed it.

I live in Gig Harbor/Port Orchard area.

I take it your in the NW?

I thought it was on there, but maybe I’m just thinking that because it’s listed in the owners manual.

I’m in Idaho. I agree you don’t need to worry about 5w-40 in Gig Harbor… it just doesn’t get as cold near the water.

Have you priced Amsoil with a preferred memebership? The cheapest options would be a 6 month membership where you buy 2 years worth of changes during that timeframe, or find a dealer that only charges a couple bucks markup.

As far as filters go, the Amsoil EaO80 and Donaldson DBL7349 are the same filter with different cans and labels. The media used in them is the best available full flow for these trucks. Even with my dealer pricing on amsoil the Donaldson is a cheaper filter.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. I read the material sheets and only saw it on the AMSOIL. Might have missed it.

I live in Gig Harbor/Port Orchard area.

I take it your in the NW?

Son and DIL used to live in Tacoma, then Gig Harbor a few miles from the golf course. She's a native of Puyallup (yes, I know how to pronounce it!) LOL

Spent a few holidays there in Tacoma and GH. Going to Belleview Bellevue for work in a few weeks.

ETA: damn autocorrect.

Last edited:

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Kirkland till 15 then lil N of Spokane for last 33.. I tried to love amsoil but back then I didn't see the value vs the time spent to get it. I've been running Rotella for over 20 years in bikes, atvs n trucks. Never had too much trouble finding it even in the dark days. Plus it has a great additive package! It's always done its job even up to 12,000 RPM. Over time you can feel the shift degradation on a bike as the oil shears down. Rotella always seemed to outperform the other varieties I've tried. So I stick with it.. I figure a CTD turning 3k should be just fine..

Bigtuna

Reaction score
Kirkland till 15 then lil N of Spokane for last 33.. I tried to love amsoil but back then I didn't see the value vs the time spent to get it. I've been running Rotella for over 20 years in bikes, atvs n trucks. Never had too much trouble finding it even in the dark days. Plus it has a great additive package! It's always done its job even up to 12,000 RPM. Over time you can feel the shift degradation on a bike as the oil shears down. Rotella always seemed to outperform the other varieties I've tried. So I stick with it.. I figure a CTD turning 3k should be just fine..

I’m on the fence with the AMSOIL. I’m sure it’s an excellent product. Just kind of costly.

I’m leaning toward the T5 Rotella 10w-30 blend.

T5 meets the CK-4 and CES 20081 oil specs.
(just incase someone finds this in a google search)

D8BC2A60-F282-43C7-8062-75DC62DEA3E4.png

MtnRider

Reaction score
All 3 you mentioned meet the specs, pick one. Don't need any exclusive marketed oil, the 3 you picked are just fine.

CFE

Reaction score
Rotella user here. I have a google price alert set to let me know when it's on sale and I buy it when it is.

Zuber

Reaction score
I'm also in the NW (Corvallis OR area) and have wasted an entire day looking for a 10-30 diesel oil for sale. So, I just push the Amsoil button and it lands on my front porch for a reasonable price. Cheaper or the same as local stores. I pay the $15 for a 6 mo preferred customer because I use Amsoil M/C oils also. Filters from Geno's Garage.
Just checked Amsoil HD 10-30, for a gallon jug it's $7/qt.

Ostracize

Reaction score
Sooo.... I guess I'll be the first to mention Valvoline. I run it in my '21, ran it in my '11. As stated above.. All three meet the requirements from cummins. For me it's reasonably priced and always available on Amazon which I already pay the member fee for. Of note though, I do run amsoil gear oil, trans, xfercase, Pstearing ect. Go with what makes you comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread