Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5.0 issues

Ancydave

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2022 with the uconnect 5.0 with8.4 display and after 1.5 years still having issues with Apple carplay and Android auto losing connections and freezing up had it at dealer numerous times for updates and not fixing it . Last time there March 1st and said another update coming by end of March , well didn't come and they won't change out radio because they said it doesn't have latest update. Anyone else having problems with uconnect 5.0?

Lettikka

Reaction score
Mine works perfectly, yours should too. There is always going to be another update coming out. Google Pixel 6 Pro, no issues with Uconnect in 2 - 2022 vehicles and one 2019 with the previous version of Uconnect. Post the type of phone you have and see if you can find others that are not having issues. It would suck to have the radio replaced only to find out if had something to do with your device. Do you have another one you can try?

Ancydave

Reaction score
Mine works perfectly, yours should too. There is always going to be another update coming out. Google Pixel 6 Pro, no issues with Uconnect in 2 - 2022 vehicles and one 2019 with the previous version of Uconnect. Post the type of phone you have and see if you can find others that are not having issues. It would suck to have the radio replaced only to find out if had something to do with your device. Do you have another one you can try?
Thanks for the response. I have galaxy s9 and wife has iPhone 11

Lettikka

Reaction score
You have two different phones, two different manufactures, both at the top of their game. if your having the issues with both of these phones then there is probably something going on with the truck's system. This assumes that the problem is not external. Does it happen under different conditions? Do you possibly have anything in the center console that could cause interference? If you could keep a log of the issues and take that to the dealer it could help them get on with doing what must be done. When working the system is too awesome to just be okay with it not working. i would push to get it fixed.

jebruns

Reaction score
The uConnect systems can be buggy. See the uConnect forum just below for lots of threads about them.

It can be a fight to get them to replace your system. We really got the run around on our buggy uConnect 5 system in our 21 Pacifica. But they finally replaced it a couple of weeks ago. So far, it seems better. The 12" uConnect 5 in my 22 Ram seems solid so far, but there are lots of folks having issues too.

762fmj

Reaction score
I had a pixel 6 pro and had issues where any media playing (music from Spotify, pandora,youtube,etc) would continue to play but have no audio output. Navigation prompts from waze would still work though. My wife's iPhone worked fine with carplay and I just switched to a Samsung so we'll see if I continue to have issues. If I do I'll get in touch with the dealer. If not then it was probably just a janky phone.

762fmj

Reaction score
S21+ has the same issues with my 8.4 uc5 so I have a dealer appointment for next week.

762fmj

Reaction score
Got truck back from dealer. No error codes and software version was the latest. They reset the radio and it seemed to be working properly. Today the audio cut out again so back she goes.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Got truck back from dealer. No error codes and software version was the latest. They reset the radio and it seemed to be working properly. Today the audio cut out again so back she goes.
I have 19K miles on my 2022 2500. The radio (I have no Sirius XM subscription) for the first time ever lost audio the other day. Turning off/on didn't bring back the audio, but turning off the truck and restarting it did. These stupid UConnect-5 gremlins are weird. Why, after 14 months and almost 20K miles does the thing all of a sudden lose audio. I won't waste my time complaining to the dealer since I've read numerous accounts of buggy UConnect 5 issues on this forum since I got my truck, and almost zero fixes except for, "wait for the next update", or, "replace the radio". I don't think the system will ever be bug free.

762fmj

Reaction score
Got a call from the dealer. With the service advisors phone they were able to jiggle the wire and completely lock up the radio which I had not experienced. They've opened a star case and are holding it another day.

762fmj

Reaction score
The dealer has ordered me new usb/aux ports. Meanwhile the service advisor said he couldn't even get his phone to connect wirelessly. Imo that plus my issues warrants a new radio.

CFE

Reaction score
Mine has started doing the shut-off/reboot crap now after 10 months of ownership (2022 3500) - had a critical error pop up for android auto (had to remove/re-add my phone to correct) and haven't been able to use waze in 2 months as it thinks my truck is in constant motion, limiting typing input.

Been thinking about a swap w/ the functional tablet radios - time will tell. Samsung S22 ultra

Last edited:

762fmj

Reaction score
Did some at home testing with a buddy's Samsung Z Fold 4 and he had the same issue as the service Advisor, but not my audio issue. Apparently the S20+ and S21 Ultra are compatible, but the S21+ is not? Someone make it make sense...

762fmj

Reaction score
Hi y'all, I've been having lots of fun at the dealer and wanted to chronicle it here.

Visit 1: informed dealer Android auto does not work properly, but Apple Carplay works fine. Get truck back later in the day, tech notes state tested with personal apple device, unable to replicate complaint,performed hard reset. Took possession of the truck hoping the reset will have fixed it.

Visit 2: 3 days problem free then symptoms returned. Bring truck back and reiterate that it's specifically an issue with Android. Get a call later in the day that Carplay works great and I explained again that it's an Android Auto issue. They switch to testing with Android phones and keep it a second day.

Next day I get another call, they can't replicate my issue,but they were able to make the radio lockup and have opened a star case. They're ordering new USB ports. I pickup the truck and on the way out of the lot the audio cuts out so I pull it back into service to show them. They do a "different" kind of reset. Does not fix the problem.

762fmj

Reaction score
After the second visit I begin keeping a log. I've bolded anytime a new symptom shows up or something noteworthy happened. Names have been removed.

5/4 @ 1611: Pixel6?, wired and wireless. Advisor notified via phone call that he was able to completely lock up the radio with his personal phone on a wired connection. Stated his phone would NOT connect wirelessly. Ordered new ports. Stated that audio problem was not reproduced with Pixel 6, Pixel 6a, or Z Flip 3. Was informed that S21+ is not listed as compatible even though it meets Android OS requirements. However this problem was present since day 1 with my personal Pixel 6 Pro. Advisor requested I come back while the radio is malfunction so they can pull codes.

5/4 @ 1809: S21+, wired. Picked up truck, sat in parking lot listening to YouTube podcast for approx 7 min. Left and audio cut out before getting to 295. Returned to dealer and showed second advisor the issue. Supervisor performed hard reset. No codes pulled.

5/5 @ 1843: S21+, wireless, Spotify. Audio stopped. Captured on video.

5/5 @ 1901: S21+, wireless, fb reel, audio stopped

5/5 @ 1911: S21+, wireless, Spotify. Audio stopped

5/5 @ 2303: S21+, wireless, pandora. Audio stopped

5/5 @ 2324: S21+, wireless, pandora. Audio stopped

5/6 @ 1157: vehicle navigation directions clipping

5/6 @ 1334: vehicle navigation directions clipping

5/7 @ 1404: vehicle navigation not providing directions when rerouting

5/7 @ 1622: z fold 4, wired. Replicated Advisor's issue locking up the radio.

5/7 @ 1638: s21+. Went into reboot mode and optimized all apps

5/7 @ 1649: s21+, wireless, espn+. Audio cut out.

5/7 @ 2005: s21+, wired. Would not connect, had to hard reset radio. After hard reset took 3 mins to connect.

5/7 @ 2057: S21+, wired, Spotify. Audio stopped

5/8 @ 1537: S21+, wireless, Spotify. Audio stopped

5/10 @ 0658: s21+, wireless, waze. Verbal directions clipped off ends of sentences

5/10 @ 0809: s21+. Updated and optimized all apps.

5/10 @ 1340: s21+, wireless, waze. Navigation prompts clipping

5/10 @ 1512: s21+, wireless, waze. Navigation prompts clipping

5/10 @ 1615, S21+, wireless, Spotify. Audio stopped

5/11 @ 0656, s21+, wireless, waze. Navigation prompts clipping

5/11 @ 1532: S21+, wireless, Spotify. Audio stopped

5/11 @ 1548, s21+, wireless, waze. No audio at all

5/11 @ 1609: S21+, wireless, Pandora. Audio stopped

5/11 @ 1604, s21+, wireless, waze. Navigation prompts clipping

5/11 @ 1908: new usbc cord

5/12 @ 0916 S21+, wireless, Spotify. Audio stopped

5/12 @ 0919 S21+, wireless, Spotify. Audio stopped

5/12 @ 0935 S21+, wired, Spotify. Audio stopped

5/12 @ 0958 S21+, wired, Spotify. Audio stopped

Gave up logging repetitive issues

5/15 @ aprox 1640 s21+: wireless, phone call. Radio reset by itself

5/21 @ 1312: radio froze, music changed to a buzzing skipping sound, could not turn off, reset by itself

5/31 @ 0918: Received text from third advisor offering a free oil change in return for filling out a survey with all 10s. Told them I would not be doing so as I had not received promised call backs or any updates regarding the parts ordered or my additional observations that had happened since picking the truck up.

5/31 @1213: Received fb message from personal friend who works at dealer (service porter) asking me to not fill out a negative survey. Management has placed him in a compromising situation.

6/6 @ 0653: Started truck and had popup - Uconnect Box Error
Uconnect Box requires service. Please visit an authorized dealer.
Captured on video.

6/6 @ 0730: Advisor pulled codes, explained it is most likely an internal short and will need a new radio. Follow up appointment set for 6/12.

6/12 @ 1200: Advisor requested to keep truck longer, STAR has the tech testing various things to see if it really needs the radio.

6/12 @1530: Told by advisor that truck needs a new radio and Uconnect box, as soon as Stellantis approves the parts they will be ordered.

762fmj

Reaction score
That would solve 90% of my problem lol but it's been getting progressively worse and developing new symptoms over time so with my luck I'd get an iphone then a day later it stops working!

Thisnthat

Reaction score
Did some at home testing with a buddy's Samsung Z Fold 4 and he had the same issue as the service Advisor, but not my audio issue. Apparently the S20+ and S21 Ultra are compatible, but the S21+ is not? Someone make it make sense...

anyone heard of any compatibility issues with the S23's? I have a S20+ and was looking to move to a S23 Ultra.

762fmj

Reaction score
I do not believe it's listed as "compatible". That being said that doesn't mean it will have issues. I wouldn't expect to have my problems in your truck since it seems mine is worse than many other's.

Users who are viewing this thread