Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5.0 issues

762fmj

Reaction score
Update as of 6/20. A new Uconnect box, but not radio was approved. Hopefully this fixes the issue as I was told Uconnect boxes are "a few days" vs radios being "8 weeks". If the new Uconnect box does not fix the issue then the next step is likely a new radio as well.

JimKIII

Reaction score
By the way, what is the UConnect Box? Is it a unit separate from the radio? Does it contain the modem and/or receiver that connects to the internet?

mountainears

Reaction score
JimKill, what are you looking to do? I’m inferring from your post that maybe you want to disable the internet / connectivity. If so, there is another thread on it and it doesn’t sound easy or even really plausible. I think someone was trying but I don’t recall seeing final results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimKIII

Reaction score
JimKill, what are you looking to do? I’m inferring from your post that maybe you want to disable the internet / connectivity. If so, there is another thread on it and it doesn’t sound easy or even really plausible. I think someone was trying but I don’t recall seeing final results.

I am curious about how to eventually disable the modem (after warranty is over), but my post/question is about the Uconnect box itself and its relationship to the radio. It seems that either one can be replaced separately, which leads me to believe that they are separate units.

mountainears

Reaction score
The front face I believe is the radio interface / screen. Behind the screen when is a control module. There are amps in other locations. Things are really spread out / distributed. Unless a part number is provided in the repair order it’s hard to know exactly what is being replaced.

As mentioned there are posts here for folks that have been looking to disconnect from the mothership.

mountainears

Reaction score
Looks like you’re already participating in the main thread I was referring to.

Remove, disable, render inoperable all telematics and other data sending signals

762fmj

Reaction score
Picked up my truck today after getting a new UC module installed. Fingers crossed.

762fmj

Reaction score
Wanted to provide an update for anyone that's having issues and also to keep a log of everything that's happened.

After having the UC module replaced I had 1 day of normal operation. The next day it was business as usual plus a new issue with my phone taking a long time to connect and having poor range.

As of Saturday the radio is completely inop. The radio will not power up and the USB outlets are dead as well.

762fmj

Reaction score
7/20 @ 1800: picked up truck

7/21 @ 1523: s21+, wireless, pandora. Audio cut out, small burst of static

7/21 @ 1527: s21+, wireless, pandora. Audio cut out

Uninstalled Samsung smart switch.

Cleared cache for android auto, google play services, google assistant.

Turned off wifi scan throttling and set default usb to file transfer/android auto in developer menu

Deleted device from radio and unpaired on phone, hard reset radio, repaired

7/21 @ 1929: s21+, wired. Audio cut out when switching from Pandora to Spotify. Pandora was working, played song from Spotify and it did not have any audio.

7/21 @ 2100: set head unit to trusted device for lock screen. Set all media playing apps to unrestricted battery

7/22 @ 1028: s21+. started truck, popup on phone could not connect to uconnect (standing outside) then connected.

7/22 @ 1030: s21+, wireless. Audio cut out after skipping song on Pandora

7/22 @ 1035: s21+, wireless, Pandora. Audio cut out

Switched from vibrate to notifications on

7/22 @ 1058: s21+, wireless, fb reel. Audio cut out

7/22@ 1342: s22+ wireless. Remote started, went to put bag in rear driver door, changed mind and walked around to front passenger put bag in, walked around to driver door got in and phone still not connected. Conmected after closed door.

7/22 @ 1347: s21+, wireless, Pandora. Audio cut out

Set wifi media output from mirror to casting

7/22 @ 1347: s21+, wireless, Pandora. Music got very quiet, Waze navigation prompt was normal volume. After prompt music back to normal volume

7/22 @ 1355: s21+, wireless, Pandora. Audio cut out. Stopping logging repetitive issues

7/22 @ 1655: uc update

7/24@1702: s22+, wired. Screen besides shortcut bar blank. Stayed until reverse camera came up then when back in drive screen loaded.

7/29 @ 1204: radio would not turn on, ac delayed turning on, USB outlets dead

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230731_132441_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230731_132441_Messages.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 21

762fmj

Reaction score
Another update... A new radio was approved. Per the service advisor there is one other star case identical to mine. He's trying to get the vin for the other case to see if our trucks were part of the same production run.

762fmj

Reaction score
I dropped by the dealer on my way home 8/29 from work since it had been about a month since the radio was supposed to ordered.

The radio had not been ordered! Per the SA they put the order in the day. Today I was told 9/10 ETA on the part.

762fmj

Reaction score
Welp, I don't know what else to try. I've had 3 different phones with identical issues. Both the UC module and radio have been replaced. No change at all! I've seen other forum posts and found a few threads on Reddit of others having the same issues so I'm starting to think that UC and AA just don't play well together. @Jimmy07 you're the expert on all things Ram, any ideas of something else I can try?

slowindown

Reaction score
The only problem I’ve really noticed with mine is every now and then I’ll lose my equalizer settings - probably once or twice per month. I’ve also lost my radio presets once, maybe twice, in the last year since purchased. I have an iPhone and haven’t noticed an issue with it but I don’t do much other than maps, phone calls and sometimes Spotify.

762fmj

Reaction score
The only problem I’ve really noticed with mine is every now and then I’ll lose my equalizer settings - probably once or twice per month. I’ve also lost my radio presets once, maybe twice, in the last year since purchased. I have an iPhone and haven’t noticed an issue with it but I don’t do much other than maps, phone calls and sometimes Spotify.
It's funny the common complaints about things like presents and other settings I haven't experienced. Just crap connection with Android Auto. My next step is going to be trying a USB dongle to see if that makes it work. If it does then I suspect the problem is related to the onboard wifi and I'll at least have normal function whole Ram figures out how to fix it. If it doesn't work I can always return it.

762fmj

Reaction score
Tried changing some more settings on my phone, unpaired phone, did a full factory reset then repaired. Got 1 day of normal function before it went wonky on me again. Also lost my back up camera temporarily (came back on my next drive).

762fmj

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a final update for my ongoing UC issues. Hopefully this helps someone with a similar issue since there was another star case with identical symptoms per the service advisor.

The AA issues I was able to resolve on my phone by accessing developer settings and changing bpap from 1.2 to 1.1 then back to 1.2. That seems to have resolved all issues besides a very occasional (every few weeks) disconnect but it will usually reconnect itself and continue playing on it's own. Very strange that this fixed it as I saw it on the 5thgen rams forum as a fix for call/contact issues and I didn't have that problem, but I tried it and it worked. Also found it odd that I had the same symptoms on multiple phones, but it seems all is well that ends well.

MinimeJer05

Reaction score
These systems must be buggy in general. I had a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited and the first day I got it, my phoned paired wirelessly without an issue. 1 day later I noticed the wifi connection would disconnect a few times per day. Even plugging it into the USB-C port would disconnect at random. Reset phone, had dealer "reset" radio, tried unpairing, repairing, etc, but it just kept giving me problems. Fast forward 6 months later I traded in for the same year and trim, but a 2500 HD Cummins and ever since then, the same phone has had 0 issues with wifi and/or connecting via USB-C.

Users who are viewing this thread