Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U Connect 5 Radio Presets Keep Disappearing

d19r93

Reaction score
So you remember what else it said in the what's new section? There were 4 bullet points, but my screen blacked out as i hit the button to read it.
The "See Changes" button was completely greyed out for me.

Riddick

Reaction score
This is great news! Hopefully my truck will see the update soon. As mentioned above this is my biggest gripe about the truck.

BigDaddyKong

Reaction score
So you remember what else it said in the what's new section? There were 4 bullet points, but my screen blacked out as i hit the button to read it.
It said there was some BT updates for better connectivity and general radio updates. I can see they made some font changes. So far so good since Saturday. It did not mention specifically about the recall issues for the backup camera.

nyfireman22

Reaction score
All of you that have received an OTA update.. all 8.4 screens and non-nav? Just trying to figure this out. I have an open case with Chrysler case management about this and my case manager is telling me there is no OTA update, only an update available at the dealership which supposedly won't cure the preset issue. But they are aware of the problem and are working on it... :rolleyes:

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
All of you that have received an OTA update.. all 8.4 screens and non-nav? Just trying to figure this out. I have an open case with Chrysler case management about this and my case manager is telling me there is no OTA update, only an update available at the dealership which supposedly won't cure the preset issue. But they are aware of the problem and are working on it... :rolleyes:

Honestly having gone through this on multiple uconnect systems I fully expect a year of headaches or more. I just hope we don't get shafted like I did with the UAS on my '17 Challenger. It got like 2 updates and then nothing... I eventually forcefully installed the rom from a '21 before I sold it, but I lost my launch control in the process of fixing the gremlins with it (was a test to see if I wanted to shell out for a newer UAS unit).

I've already told myself I'll suck it up until they iron out the 12" issues, then retrofit one making sure to buy whatever hardware revision doesn't have issues and works with our trucks. Either that or I'll end up going aftermarket like the Ram I traded in for this one after the aftermarket got the factory integration all ironed out.

d19r93

Reaction score
Yep, 8.4 Non-Nav. I was sitting getting gas when it popped up for me. But I started driving when it completed, so I didn't get to see the changes. So far so good!

Dirt_Farm

Reaction score
According to Ram Cares my software is up to date and their engineers are aware of the issue and working on an update, so the problem is probably not going away if you have it. my presets essentially do not work, they reset randomly every day or 2 on a brand new Ram 2500 2 weeks old... Pretty disappointed

JimKIII

Reaction score
See attached photos of UConnect-5 8.4 Non-NAV software before and after Z47 TSB update done at a dealer yesterday.

Is FCA_R1L_ARM64_00.145.15.00 what others are getting with the latest OTA update?

On a side note, notice the date of the 'Android Security Patch Level' on the Version Information screen - 05 March 2020. In the world of software revisions - ESPECIALLY ANYTHING TO DO WITH SECURITY PATCHES/UPDATES!!! - not updating this security patch after 2 1/2 years is really bizarre; almost negligent. I can not imagine that security exploits of this Android code haven't been uncovered in over 30 months.

Attachments

• Version prior to Z47 TSB update.png
    Version prior to Z47 TSB update.png
    934.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Version after Z47 TSB update.png
    Version after Z47 TSB update.png
    927.9 KB · Views: 30

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
See attached photos of UConnect-5 8.4 Non-NAV software before and after Z47 TSB update done at a dealer yesterday.

Is FCA_R1L_ARM64_00.145.15.00 what others are getting with the latest OTA update?

On a side note, notice the date of the 'Android Security Patch Level' on the Version Information screen - 05 March 2020. In the world of software revisions - ESPECIALLY ANYTHING TO DO WITH SECURITY PATCHES/UPDATES!!! - not updating this security patch after 2 1/2 years is really bizarre; almost negligent. I can not imagine that security exploits of this Android code haven't been uncovered in over 30 months.
On the android version... as a former security practitioner and current technical sales guy.... what the actual f*** is what I said looking the other day at mine on the 141 build. I guess in some ways I'm lucky my rona baby has an LTE/Connected services delete. I'm not showing the new revision avail for download from the uConnect site so I guess I'll be bugging my dealer =/

JimKIII

Reaction score
On the android version... as a former security practitioner and current technical sales guy.... what the actual f*** is what I said looking the other day at mine on the 141 build. I guess in some ways I'm lucky my rona baby has an LTE/Connected services delete. I'm not showing the new revision avail for download from the uConnect site so I guess I'll be bugging my dealer =/
28 years IT myself and as you know from your experience security patching is a continuous, sometimes, pain-in-the-ass, requirement. I worked with Cisco and Juniper IOS for years and the vulnerability testing that went into just those two OSes was a constant - but absolutely necessary - headache.

Another weird thing is the Kernel version of 'prelease'. Like this is still QA and testing code someone forgot to update when the OK was given to go production. None of this bodes well for my confidence level in RAMs software dev world.

Dirt_Farm

Reaction score

that is exactly what my software versions read, my truck was built in June 2022 and has the issue bad

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
28 years IT myself and as you know from your experience security patching is a continuous, sometimes, pain-in-the-ass, requirement. I worked with Cisco and Juniper IOS for years and the vulnerability testing that went into just those two OSes was a constant - but absolutely necessary - headache.

Another weird thing is the Kernel version of 'prelease'. Like this is still QA and testing code someone forgot to update when the OK was given to go production. None of this bodes well for my confidence level in RAMs software dev world.

That's actually the compiler version that built the kernel, but yea gcc from 2015... whoever the vendor of the solution is needs to update their toolchains. At one point I managed several thousand IOS, IOS-XR, EOS, ASA, Firepowers, SRXs, F5s, Netscalers, and the horrid Brocade ADX's. CVE drops were HELL on earth. Not to mention integrating all that garbage with OpenStack and VMWare NSX environments. Running the show on solution sales at another, smaller shop and being part of the executive leadership is a different hell, but one I'll gladly take any day of the week over past roles lol.

JimKIII

Reaction score
That's actually the compiler version that built the kernel, but yea gcc from 2015... whoever the vendor of the solution is needs to update their toolchains. At one point I managed several thousand IOS, IOS-XR, EOS, ASA, Firepowers, SRXs, F5s, Netscalers, and the horrid Brocade ADX's. CVE drops were HELL on earth. Not to mention integrating all that garbage with OpenStack and VMWare NSX environments. Running the show on solution sales at another, smaller shop and being part of the executive leadership is a different hell, but one I'll gladly take any day of the week over past roles lol.
Ha ha - now you're bringing back loads of memories with the CVE reference. My last experience in the world of global networks was with Amazon AWS. Most all the tools in AWS were in-house developed systems, but prior to using those I spent days and weeks using Splunk to grind and churn through mounds of log files specifically for CVE remediation purposes. All that was introduced into my world, network engineering, when PCI compliance became necessary and mandatory. When credit card transactions began traversing data networks is when I began yearning for the good-old pre-security-conscious days of networking when I lived in layers 1-4 (a bit in layer 5), captured and analyzed sniffer/wireshark traces (it was called Ethereal way back when - even Novell's Lanalyzer for token ring ntwks), and the fun of QoS for those new converged voice/video/data networks. Now those were the days! Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

OLEJOE

Reaction score
The rear view camera update at the dealer fixed mine.

BigDaddyKong

Reaction score
So far so good. Presets are still there. I have noticed they also did some font changes on a few things.

I do have one thing that aggravates me about the new vehicles. It popped up on the Ram dashboard that the recall was complete since I downloaded the OTA update. These new vehicles are so wired in, I even get emails from Car Fax telling me when I had my maintenance done and the mileage and any work done on the truck. I am not surprised I don't get a call from my doctor telling me the seat detected an emissions problem the evening after an all you can eat burrito bar and I needed to come in to get checked.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Yeah it’s pretty bad when a cop stops you and starts moon walking trying to get something off his shoes when you roll the window down.

d19r93

Reaction score
Welp, my truck sat for about a week and a half while I was on vacation, and the presets were there when I first started it. Parked it after 15 minutes of driving, and after 10 minutes of sitting, I started it again and the Sirius presets were gone and the theme reset to the default. *Sigh*. I also noticed that the shortcuts bug out when it resets the presets. my truck goes into the dealer for its first service here soon, it will be interesting to hear what they say.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread