Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tune for 2022 HD

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone running the edge ezx? Looks cool.

No edge programmer looks cool on HPCR... too hot for the power they gain.

You couldn't pay me to put an edge power adder on my truck.

I do run a CTS3, but it's very far from even being an impressive monitor but it does what I want (mostly). Even if their power adders were 2x as good as their monitor it would still be well below sub-par.

Riddick

Reaction score
You are still running the stock tune, this device is tapping into your FRP, MAF, and MAP sensors and modifying signals to trick truck. All of your OEM safety features are still in tact. I have not heard of these being to "hot", maybe someone can post up some details on this??

I am not really a fan of piggy back controllers but I do like the interface on these. You can change your tune through your cruise control buttons and your gauge cluster tells you the setting, pretty snazzy if you ask me. Hopefully other tuners will adopt this and eliminate the need for a physical switch installed in the truck.

Again,not promoting this product, simply informing the people of what's available. Take the time and read up on it including the install directions. In my opinion this is some of the best tech available. I bet they sell a ton of these.!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey now edge used to do great things like kill the VP44 :D

Let's see, cracked my turbo exhaust side housing, exhaust manifold warp/crack/busted bolts, dumb thing locked up/froze (Edge Juice) all the time... Hot tunes and too high EGT's. Roasted my 48RE too (though that's hard to lay blame on with any tune).

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Let's see, cracked my turbo exhaust side housing, exhaust manifold warp/crack/busted bolts, dumb thing locked up/froze (Edge Juice) all the time... Hot tunes and too high EGT's. Roasted my 48RE too (though that's hard to lay blame on with any tune).
I did not even know they had tunes for the 3rd gen i never gave them a second look after mine killed my VP in one day on the lowest power setting.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
You are still running the stock tune, this device is tapping into your FRP, MAF, and MAP sensors and modifying signals to trick truck. All of your OEM safety features are still in tact. I have not heard of these being to "hot", maybe someone can post up some details on this??

I am not really a fan of piggy back controllers but I do like the interface on these. You can change your tune through your cruise control buttons and your gauge cluster tells you the setting, pretty snazzy if you ask me. Hopefully other tuners will adopt this and eliminate the need for a physical switch installed in the truck.

Again,not promoting this product, simply informing the people of what's available. Take the time and read up on it including the install directions. In my opinion this is some of the best tech available. I bet they sell a ton of these.!

If they modify the signal between the sensor and the ECM, which they do, then none of your OEM safeties are in tact. Garbage in = garbage out.

doct

Reaction score
If they modify the signal between the sensor and the ECM, which they do, then none of your OEM safeties are in tact. Garbage in = garbage out.
Isn't that also what Banks does except they put in safeties like on their Derringer stuff?

I just got my Edge Ezx but won't be installing it for a couple of weeks. I was hoping Calibrated Tuners had something ready for the 22 by now. I ran their tunes in two Duramax's I owned and never had a single issue and made great power.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Isn't that also what Banks does except they put in safeties like on their Derringer stuff?

I just got my Edge Ezx but won't be installing it for a couple of weeks. I was hoping Calibrated Tuners had something ready for the 22 by now. I ran their tunes in two Duramax's I owned and never had a single issue and made great power.
Have you installed the Edge EZX yet? With my limited understanding of inline tuners yes, it seems to do what the Banks Derringer is designed to do.. I’m quite the novice when it comes to tunes. All my trucks I’ve ran bone stock with just minor suspension modifications. It’s hard for me not to be interested in the Edge tuner because it does everything i need.. TPMS, tires size calibration, pedal commander, plus it adds a little power if needed.. I’d just hate to put some junk tune on my truck and break something or clogg up the DPF because of it.. think I’ll start a thread about edge and see what info i can gather.

doct

Reaction score
Have you installed the Edge EZX yet? With my limited understanding of inline tuners yes, it seems to do what the Banks Derringer is designed to do.. I’m quite the novice when it comes to tunes. All my trucks I’ve ran bone stock with just minor suspension modifications. It’s hard for me not to be interested in the Edge tuner because it does everything i need.. TPMS, tires size calibration, pedal commander, plus it adds a little power if needed.. I’d just hate to put some junk tune on my truck and break something or clogg up the DPF because of it.. think I’ll start a thread about edge and see what info i can gather.
Sorry for the late response. No I haven't installed it yet as I have been out of town. Hopefully in a week or so when I get back and all caught up.

What you said is what intrigued me also to the edge being able to change all those things via the app instead of using Alfa Obd. Alfa is great don't get me wrong you can do so much more but there is a learning curve to it also.

As far as inline tuners as long as the edge has safety built in and the truck can run if it fails I will be good. That is one thing I felt better about with my derringer is knowing that if it failed I wouldn't be stuck on the side of the road unplugging it to get running again. I also like that the inline tuners don't leave a "foot print" on the ecm when you have to visit the dealer. These manufactures have gotten hip to what's going on these days. If you have a fuel pump failure the tech has to screen shot when they plug their labtop into your ecm to prove that the truck hasn't been flashed in order to to cover it under warranty.

Lastly, I still would rather have a tune from a reputable tuner over a inline tuner and that's what I plan on doing if I still have the truck past warranty.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response. No I haven't installed it yet as I have been out of town. Hopefully in a week or so when I get back and all caught up.

What you said is what intrigued me also to the edge being able to change all those things via the app instead of using Alfa Obd. Alfa is great don't get me wrong you can do so much more but there is a learning curve to it also.

As far as inline tuners as long as the edge has safety built in and the truck can run if it fails I will be good. That is one thing I felt better about with my derringer is knowing that if it failed I wouldn't be stuck on the side of the road unplugging it to get running again. I also like that the inline tuners don't leave a "foot print" on the ecm when you have to visit the dealer. These manufactures have gotten hip to what's going on these days. If you have a fuel pump failure the tech has to screen shot when they plug their labtop into your ecm to prove that the truck hasn't been flashed in order to to cover it under warranty.

Lastly, I still would rather have a tune from a reputable tuner over an inline tuner and that's what I plan on doing if I still have the truck past warranty.
Really? They can deny based on checked flashes? I would think it could raise suspicion.. What if i flashed a new tire size into the ECM? (Not sure if it works that way) don’t some hand held obd2 programmers flash the ecm to change settings?

Not saying it would work but, there are legitimate reasons to flash ecm.. (once again i know nothing about this stuff)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Really? They can deny based on checked flashes? I would think it could raise suspicion.. What if i flashed a new tire size into the ECM? (Not sure if it works that way) don’t some hand held obd2 programmers flash the ecm to change settings?

Not saying it would work but, there are legitimate reasons to flash ecm.. (once again i know nothing about this stuff)

You're not "flashing" a tire size into the ECM (PCM), you're changing a setting in the BCM.

doct

Reaction score

Bcm is different then Ecm. I am also just speaking from my Gm experience as I had really good relationship with the dealership I used. They knew my truck was modified and didn't deny anything warranty wise per say unless it was catastrophic failure. The service advisor and tech were very cool and upfront with me from the get go. They told me if it's something big i.e. engine/trans/fuel pump gm was requesting screen shots of the techs lab top to verify "flash" dates. Technically speaking there shouldn't be to much history unless it was for a recall or update. So lets say you flashed your truck a month ago and a cp4 failed, you then un flashed the truck back to stock right before you took to the dealer they see the date and time. Why was the ecm flashed a day or hours before it went to the dealer? If it's a engine or transmission forget about it, they are sending someone out to that dealer to verify. Again this was Gm don't know what Ram is doing as I just got back into a Ram from 2012 lol.

I will say this, if you are going to flash a new truck you have to make a financial commitment. Dealers won't warranty stuff in most cases because they have to answer to the factory to get paid. The last Ram I had was modified decently, head studs/intake/downpipe full exhaust/injectors/tune. Anyhow, transmission started throwing some codes but still functioned. I knew it was on it's way out so before it left me stranded I bit the bullet and ordered a built transmission and installed it no dealer involved. I couldn't expect the factory to warranty that imo because it failed because of the power adders I put on it.

The new trucks are power monsters period. We strived back in the day to make a fraction of what these trucks make stock now. I am getting older so I am not as hungry to make power just more bored and like doing things to my vehicles but I like my warranty also so I am selective on my mods. Will a deleted and tuned truck make more power sure it will. Do emissions suck, sure does but sadly that's where we are heading. So unless you live in a state that's loose on emissions testing or doesn't have it at all it's something so consider. Again if warranty wasn't an issue, Calibrated tuning for me but I won't pay 4k for tuning, I did that on my last Duramax and now it's a fraction of the cost if I had waited a bit more. I currently have Banks intake and peddle monster installed an honestly that's more then enough. It didn't make more power per say but cleaned up the peddle lag I had and the truck is fine. I only ordered the edge because I liked that I could modify things without Alfaobd and I like the cts3 because it has a way bigger screen to monitor things.

mountainears

Reaction score
On the Gm side you can’t flash and unflash anymore from my understanding in the corvette space. Everytime the ECM is flashed it increments counters and there is logging. I’ve seen many stories of Corvette folks getting their power train warranty blocked on the ViN service record because of tunes. And that follows the vehicle, people have bought used vettes and didn’t know it had been tuned and/or had a power train warranty block tied to the vehicle and were screwed. A new thing to check when buying used these days, if warranty is a concern. I’m sure other manufacturers are doing similar things, it’s only getting harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doct

Reaction score
On the Gm side you can’t flash and unflash anymore from my understanding in the corvette space. Everytime the ECM is flashed it increments counters and there is logging. I’ve seen many stories of Corvette folks getting their power train warranty blocked on the ViN service record because of tunes. And that follows the vehicle, people have bought used vettes and didn’t know it had been tuned and/or had a power train warranty block tied to the vehicle and were screwed. A new thing to check when buying used these days, if warranty is a concern. I’m sure other manufacturers are doing similar things, it’s only getting harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great advice!

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Bcm is different then Ecm. I am also just speaking from my Gm experience as I had really good relationship with the dealership I used. They knew my truck was modified and didn't deny anything warranty wise per say unless it was catastrophic failure. The service advisor and tech were very cool and upfront with me from the get go. They told me if it's something big i.e. engine/trans/fuel pump gm was requesting screen shots of the techs lab top to verify "flash" dates. Technically speaking there shouldn't be to much history unless it was for a recall or update. So lets say you flashed your truck a month ago and a cp4 failed, you then un flashed the truck back to stock right before you took to the dealer they see the date and time. Why was the ecm flashed a day or hours before it went to the dealer? If it's a engine or transmission forget about it, they are sending someone out to that dealer to verify. Again this was Gm don't know what Ram is doing as I just got back into a Ram from 2012 lol.

I will say this, if you are going to flash a new truck you have to make a financial commitment. Dealers won't warranty stuff in most cases because they have to answer to the factory to get paid. The last Ram I had was modified decently, head studs/intake/downpipe full exhaust/injectors/tune. Anyhow, transmission started throwing some codes but still functioned. I knew it was on it's way out so before it left me stranded I bit the bullet and ordered a built transmission and installed it no dealer involved. I couldn't expect the factory to warranty that imo because it failed because of the power adders I put on it.

The new trucks are power monsters period. We strived back in the day to make a fraction of what these trucks make stock now. I am getting older so I am not as hungry to make power just more bored and like doing things to my vehicles but I like my warranty also so I am selective on my mods. Will a deleted and tuned truck make more power sure it will. Do emissions suck, sure does but sadly that's where we are heading. So unless you live in a state that's loose on emissions testing or doesn't have it at all it's something so consider. Again if warranty wasn't an issue, Calibrated tuning for me but I won't pay 4k for tuning, I did that on my last Duramax and now it's a fraction of the cost if I had waited a bit more. I currently have Banks intake and peddle monster installed an honestly that's more then enough. It didn't make more power per se but cleaned up the peddle lag I had and the truck is fine. I only ordered the edge because I liked that I could modify things without Alfaobd and I like the cts3 because it has a way bigger screen to monitor things.
Bcm is different than Ecm. I am also just speaking from my Gm experience as I had really good relationship with the dealership I used. They knew my truck was modified and didn't deny anything warranty wise per say unless it was catastrophic failure. The service advisor and tech were very cool and upfront with me from the get go. They told me if it's something big i.e. engine/trans/fuel pump gm was requesting screen shots of the techs lab top to verify "flash" dates. Technically speaking there shouldn't be to much history unless it was for a recall or update. So let’s say you flashed your truck a month ago and a cp4 failed, you then un flashed the truck back to stock right before you took to the dealer they see the date and time. Why was the ecm flashed a day or hours before it went to the dealer? If it's a engine or transmission forget about it, they are sending someone out to that dealer to verify. Again this was Gm don't know what Ram is doing as I just got back into a Ram from 2012 lol.

The new trucks are power monsters period. We strived back in the day to make a fraction of what these trucks make stock now. I am getting older so I am not as hungry to make power just more bored and like doing things to my vehicles but I like my warranty also so I am selective on my mods. Will a deleted and tuned truck make more power sure it will. Do emissions suck, sure does but sadly that's where we are heading. So unless you live in a state that's loose on emissions testing or doesn't have it at all it's something so consider. Again if warranty wasn't an issue, Calibrated tuning for me but I won't pay 4k for tuning, I did that on my last Duramax and now it's a fraction of the cost if I had waited a bit more. I currently have Banks intake and peddle monster installed an honestly that's more then enough. It didn't make more power per say but cleaned up the peddle lag I had and the truck is fine. I only ordered the edge because I liked that I could modify things without Alfaobd and I like the cts3 because it has a way bigger screen to monitor things.

That’s a very comprehensive overview of the stakes at hand. Thanks, you stated a great case. I do like keeping my warranty in place. As for a new transmission that’s a little deep for my pockets..

My local dealer said they’d play ball with warranty work on weight loss trucks.. to what extent? I have no idea.. my last visit, they questioned my heater core shut off valve i installed to make my AC actually blow cold in the hottest days of the summer.. needless to say, doubt arose in my mind whether they’d really do the warranty work that they stated previously..

Think the Edge looks like a decent option for the time being. Another member did say that the factory parameters might not be in place since the box cheats the ecm? I’m not sure how true it is whether the box has its own parameters that match stock or what..

Anyway i appreciate the intel

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Jeezus, that’s not good.. I guess it goes without saying, you wouldn’t put an Edge device on your 5th gen?

hookedup2407

Reaction score
No edge programmer looks cool on HPCR... too hot for the power they gain.

You couldn't pay me to put an edge power adder on my truck.

I do run a CTS3, but it's very far from even being an impressive monitor but it does what I want (mostly). Even if their power adders were 2x as good as their monitor it would still be well below sub-par.
Please explain why you believe it’s that bad? Do you feel this way about all in-line tuners? or specifically Edge ? It’s a nice all in one package
Never.

I'm a Fool me once kinda guy and I can hold a grudge a LONG time. LOL.
wow.. the feedback I’ve gotten so far from the few who have it is good.. it’s hard for me not to want it.. it’s the feedback from you guys here that has prevented me from ordering it.. since you guys have much more experience in this territory I’ll have to take your word for it as I’ve never ‘tuned’ any of my vehicles.

pete2833

Reaction score
I am in the same boat. Waiting for CPS Emission compliant tunes. Like the things you can adjust with the Edge and was going to order it until I read the feedback here from guys that have used Edge before. Not going to risk it with the Edge.

Users who are viewing this thread