Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck won't unlock after remote start

kristof

Reaction score
UPDATE :I don't know if this is a coincidence or not but on Wednesday Ram customer care had contacted me about my case and the next day my key fob started to work unlocking my truck after only pushing it twice it has done that the past four times I've started my truck so I don't know if they sent some kind of signal or update but it seems to be working now. I have a appointment with my dealer on Tuesday I'll see if it's still working by then
At one time mine was working for a week and then the problem came back. It's just coincidence. It will stop working again.

Bulldog

Reaction score
If it was working correctly it would unlock with one press on the unlock button.

Vinny689

Reaction score
I put an aftermarket remote start on my 2020 Hemi. It uses the factory key fob. Remote start works fine. You press the lock button 3 times and it starts right up. Sometimes it unlocks right away when I use the fob and sometimes it don’t unlock at all. I talked to the company I used for remote starts and they told me they knew of the problem with the 4.5 gens and were working on an update. They said it didn’t effect everybody though. It’s weird it effects some but not all.

Calca3

Reaction score
2020 3500 gas , remote start works fine. Problem is when you try to unlock the door to get in you have to repeatedly push the unlock button. I'm going to have the dealership look at it. Just wondered if any one else has this issue.
I have a 2020 2500 HD Bighorn (not a fancy one) bought new in December 2020 and it does the same thing. Some times after multiple pushes on the remote it will unlock, but sometimes never. Dealer says IDK maybe it will need a new program but one is not out yet! What in the world is that answer. Any help out there?

jadmt

Reaction score
I have a 2020 2500 HD Bighorn (not a fancy one) bought new in December 2020 and it does the same thing. Some times after multiple pushes on the remote it will unlock, but sometimes never. Dealer says IDK maybe it will need a new program but one is not out yet! What in the world is that answer. Any help out there?
see post 288

jadmt

Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to try the remote again just for kicks...it worked and the doors opened with the remote fairly quickly.. So I tried it again and this time used the remote to kill the engine and it worked. tried it a 3rd time and it stopped working could not shut it off with the remote and the doors did not want to open but eventually did lol.

Bulldog

Reaction score

Yesterday I decided to try the remote again just for kicks...it worked and the doors opened with the remote fairly quickly.. So I tried it again and this time used the remote to kill the engine and it worked. tried it a 3rd time and it stopped working could not shut it off with the remote and the doors did not want to open but eventually did lol.
Good luck...my $54,000 2021 power wagon has had this issue since day one. It has NEVER once in 7 weeks worked right. Don't get me wrong I love this truck but have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in Chrysler's technicians or customer service...both suck.

jadmt

Reaction score
Good luck...my $54,000 2021 power wagon has had this issue since day one. It has NEVER once in 7 weeks worked right. Don't get me wrong I love this truck but have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in Chrysler's technicians or customer service...both suck.
it is kind of comical and sad at the same time.

Russty__

Reaction score
I hope everyone here sends a complaint to Ram cares. That'll be the best thing to do to get enough weight behind them pushing a recall or software update rather than just 16 pages of forum complaints. lol!

jadmt

Reaction score
I hope everyone here sends a complaint to Ram cares. That'll be the best thing to do to get enough weight behind them pushing a recall or software update rather than just 16 pages of forum complaints. lol!
I believe Ram Cares has responded they do not have any power when it comes to pushing a recall or update. they just basically ask your current dealer to play nice. It is going to take someone being mugged and beaten in a parking lot because their truck wouldn't open. Any volunteers?? :)

Carpenterhow

Reaction score
Seemed to last for several years on my last truck. Sometimes you'll get RF interference that will cause it not to work. Worst case, pull the physical key out of your fob to unlock the door and then use your fob to press the start button.
Can you use your finger to press the button?

jadmt

Reaction score
The battery inside your remote fob or smart key fob is dead or too low to send out a good signal. The key fob itself could be defective or have a bad unlock button. Try the lock button, trunk release button or panic button. If the other buttons work, the problem is a bad unlock button.
no these are on new vehicles and many have had fobs replaced under warranty. it is software issue as has been stated by RAM. They are clear telling dealerships don't do anything until they get the software figured out.

Bulldog

Reaction score
Sorry but Ram Cares sucks as bad as all of the dealerships, technicians and Chrysler support people do....all are useless.

Russty__

Reaction score
Sorry but Ram Cares sucks as bad as all of the dealerships, technicians and Chrysler support people do....all are useless.
Maybe I should cancel my order and stick with my Toyota if its that bad...

Bulldog

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong my new Power Wagon is a wonderful truck but for $54,000 it sure would be nice if someone @ Chrysler had enough intelligence to fix this issue with the remote start.
Actually I guess it's a door lock issue since the remote start works...you just can't unlock the door once you start it with the remote.

P.S. If Ram Cars is reading this [mod edit: insulting or personal attacks against other members is against the rules and will not be tolerated.]

Last edited by a moderator:

jadmt

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong my new Power Wagon is a wonderful truck but for $54,000 it sure would be nice if someone @ Chrysler had enough intelligence to fix this issue with the remote start.
Actually I guess it's a door lock issue since the remote start works...you just can't unlock the door once you start it with the remote.

P.S. If Ram Cars is reading this you people suck. What exactly do you get paid to do?
. Take a chill pill it is a software issue it will get sorted. Ram cares is not on the tech side they simply try and help you and your dealer build a relationship. Dealers are independent of ram so some dealerships are not as good as others and there is nothing ram cares can do about that. You sound like the kind of guy i would be rushing out to help..

Users who are viewing this thread