Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck Payload Info

orlando bull

Reaction score
I have owned both, and, despite their marketing jazz, there is not that much difference.

I haven't driven a gasser, but, I would think that the reduced weight on the front springs could actually make a 2500 gas a little stiffer than a 3500 diesel. No real science to that, just a gut feeling... now, air ride may be a different story if someone was thinking about going that route.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
The ride of my new 2500 can only be descibed as "very stiff." If you are looking for a soft smooth ride, this is not it. My older 1 ton long box SRW rode better, but it was also a Cummins. My suspicion is the longer wheelbase and more weight of the Cummins contrbute to a better ride and comparing SWB 2500 to a SWB 3500, the 2500 would be better.

That being said, I traded a 1500 Rebel with the air suspension on this new truck. I did not like it the way the 1500 rode. With it lowered, it was very abrupt and miserable to ride in. At it's highest, it was much softer, but not stable. Normal ride height was OK, but the new truck is better.

It is my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt......the new 2500 is a "better" ride than the 1500 was. It is stiffer but not as abrupt. It is a great highway truck and a little rough or stiff in town at slow speed.

FWIW, and again, my opinion.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
Find some 18s and go test drive. I did a 3500 and 2500 back to back thinking that the 2500 ride was going to blow me away after the 3500. I didn't feel much difference quite honestly. If there was a big ride difference, I possibly would have gone with the 2500 6.4.

I have owned both, and, despite their marketing jazz, there is not that much difference.

Appreciate the insight from you both. Considering the 2500’s rear springs are coil whereas the 3500 are leaf, I would have thought the ride quality would have been quite noticeable. Glad to read you feel otherwise.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
It is my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.
Hey! Give yourself more credit than that. Your opinion is definitely worth at least two cents.

Thanks for sharing your opinion! I need all the help I can get and really appreciate folks who are willing to provide their perspectives.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
That being said, I traded a 1500 Rebel with the air suspension on this new truck. I did not like it the way the 1500 rode. With it lowered, it was very abrupt and miserable to ride in. At it's highest, it was much softer, but not stable. Normal ride height was OK, but the new truck is better.

Interesting... the air suspension on my '19 is very nice in both Aero Mode and Normal. The Off Group Group makes it a smidge stiffer, but still a very plush ride.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it boils down to personal taste. We all have likes and dislikes. Concerning the air suspension, I think the great majority of people really love it. My impression of it is not the norm, but then again, I'm not "normal" in some people's opinion! LOL!!!

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
2019 RAM 2500 LIMITED CREW CAB 4X4
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Payload per Ram Chart is 2,520
Payload per door sticker 1,950

VIN Build Sheet

Has some items I would not get myself (Ram boxes, protection group, rear air, dual alternators) which add weight for sure , but man, that diesel sure eats into payload...

Don-T

Reaction score
The tow charts show my payload will be 4420. The info on the owner’s site shows the payload is 4110. I hope the door sticker is no less than 3900. I am going to weigh it right after I pick it up so I know the real numbers.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
2019 RAM 2500 LIMITED CREW CAB 4X4
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Payload per Ram Chart is 2,520
Payload per door sticker 1,950
Wow! Brutal. That’s just awful. We wouldn’t even be able to drive/ride in the truck with that horrible payload while pulling an 11,000lb trailer with a 1,600-1,700 hitch weight.

Although I have yet to see a 2500 in my market close to how I’d want it built, I’m Of the opinion we’re going to have to move up to the 3500.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Wow! Brutal. That’s just awful. We wouldn’t even be able to drive/ride in the truck with that horrible payload while pulling an 11,000lb trailer with a 1,600-1,700 hitch weight.

Although I have yet to see a 2500 in my market close to how I’d want it built, I’m Of the opinion we’re going to have to move up to the 3500.

I suppose if you get a stripped down Tradesman you could bring that number up, but if I'm going to be towing a TT across the country, I want my creature comforts. Even ditching the 4x4 for a 4x2 only adds 300# to max payload making it 2250. The 6.4 Longhorn I posted with all the trimmings still has a max payload of 2735#...

I really don't need a 3500 as the 2500 will be more than sufficient for towing, however, it appears I may have to go with the 6.4 rather than the 6.7 due to payload.

orlando bull

Reaction score
This was really my decision as well... 2500 gasser or 3500 diesel. The 2500 would have done all I really needed it to do, but, I wanted the diesel. Wife and I would like to upgrade to a fifth wheel at some point. I bought my truck in Feb 2017, we got the travel trailer a year later and that is really the reason my half ton no longer works for us. I didn't want to be in that position again, either settling on our camper because of truck, or, having to do another truck upgrade.

Having said that, the 2500's are capable of much more if one is comfortable ignoring the sticker on the door. Your payload and hitch weight is going to be mostly on the rear axle. The engine delta between the gas vs diesel is up front. There is a lot of debate about what the truck is capable of vs the sticker. The sticker is based on a 10,000lb GVWR. Doesn't matter if it's gas or diesel, for a 3/4 ton, that's what you get. In the 3500, the gassers get a 10,800 GVWR while the diesel gets 11,700. This makes up for the added weight of the engine.

The coil springs are not the reason for the lower rating, ford and GM are also held at that 10k mark. But, one could argue that the artificial limit is the reason Ram switched to coil springs in the first place. If the sticker is going to artificially reduce the truck's capability, then, why not make it the best riding 3/4 ton in the field.

Anyway, I went 3500, I didn't want to play that game of having to convince myself that the truck wasn't over loaded. I don't blame anyone who feels comfortable with it though. I also drove both back to back hoping that the ride in the 3500 would beat me to death and the 2500 would feel like a Cadillac so that I could convince myself to go with the 2500. But, that wasn't my experience. I felt very little difference if any in the ride. Of course, these were 18's and both diesel. My gut feeling is that the diesel will ride better based on the weight, but, I don't have any evidence to substantiate that. I'm hoping the 19 ride is also improved. FWIW, I also didn't feel like they were that much more harsh than my F150. I'm sure when I have it as a daily driver I'll notice the difference, but, in my test drive, neither felt like a huge downgrade in ride.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
8800 is the GVWR of the TT she likes... so say a max of 15% TW and a WD makes it 1420#; with the 6.4, that still leaves me 1315# of payload vs 530# with the 6.7... I like the idea of the 6.7, but so far it seems the 6.4 is ahead.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I will give my opinion as it is almost full circle now. I no longer tow at constant highway speeds, do not live at high elevation(although in the Mountains), and i do not plan to tow much more than 10000 lbs. If you can not check off more than 2 of those 3, the Diesel is overkill.

Sure the Diesel is cool (I guess) and very powerful...but torque management takes that thrill away.

It is weird hearing the Diesel clang if you are used to a gas motor.

So far my 2013 Cummins was only about 3.5 to 4 MPG better than my 2015 392 HEMI. On the daily grind, and I haven't tried hyperdriving the Hemi yet.

YES, on a long high way trip the Cummins can get 22,23 MPG...but I have seen 17 with the HEMI.

I haven't towed yet, very soon, and I think I will be pleased.

Both Gas and Diesel RAMs are towing machines...you just have to pick the one that suits you.

If your not over 10k the Gas gives you more payload. If you aren't over 15k you won't notice much of a difference, but that is when you need the Diesel...but you should also have a 3500(dually too)

Now 35,100 lbs on a gooseneck...only the Cummins can do that.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I will give my opinion as it is almost full circle now. I no longer tow at constant highway speeds, do not live at high elevation(although in the Mountains), and i do not plan to tow much more than 10000 lbs. If you can not check off more than 2 of those 3, the Diesel is overkill.

That actually helps me quite a bit... I don't (and when I retire I won't be) living at high elevations, I don't plan on towing anything heavier than the GVWR of the TT and we don't plan on cruising the superslab unless absolutely necessary, the whole point of the TT is to cruise and take our time down the back roads as it were. Sure there will be mountain ranges to cross, but it isn't like we will be cruising up and down them constantly.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a 2013 Cummins. Awesome truck. Never came close to its towing capacity, but was always over GVWR...which the truck wasnt bothered buy.

Our current travel trailer isnt very large or heavy and our next one will be under 10k.

I thoroughly enjoy driving the backroads at 45 or 55 MPH. At those speeds there was no diferance in towing with my 99 V10.

Now at 65 mph on the highway the Cummins was never out of breath...but i hate traveling at those speeds towing.

Many times, I actually arrived earlier and got better mileage on the same trips.

Miles driven is almost always less.

Now, I do wish I had 4.10 gears...but very soon I will see if that matters with my setup.

The 99 V10 has 3.55 gears and the 03 HEMI has 3.73 and they both performed well, and so far this 392 is much more impressive.

Payload while towing means alot. I know some have shown that HD trucks aren't the "best" tow vehicles...but at the end ofthe trip you will not be tired.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
...but if I'm going to be towing a TT across the country, I want my creature comforts.
EXACTLY!!!

I typically buy a new vehicle once a decade. So, I want all the bells & whistles. This strategy served me well as a dealer has already offered me $12K on our '08 Mercedes GL550 w/130K that I bought new and tricked out for $90K over 11-years ago.

Sure there will be mountain ranges to cross, but it isn't like we will be cruising up and down them constantly.
And therein lies the big difference with my situation as so much of my towing will be at altitude, hence why the gasser just isn't going to cut it for us from everything I read.

Payload while towing means alot. I know some have shown that HD trucks aren't the "best" tow vehicles...but at the end ofthe trip you will not be tired.
I agree completely. Since the vast majority of our camping is boondocking I've got to have as much payload as possible since we'll be able to carry over 50 gallons of fresh water in the trailer. When I think about adding generators, firewood, food, clothing, etc., I know payload will get eaten up in a hurry.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
From my experience, if you're going to tow a large 5th wheel, or most any 5th wheel for that matter, and you need a diesel, a 1 ton is the real answer. I think the 2500 will tow one fine, and really without issue, but if the weight numbers cause you to worry, a 1 ton is THE way to go.

I towed a 34 foot 5th wheel that weighed 14000# with a SRW 1 ton, and it towed great, was under all weight limits, and rode as good as my new 2500. I think it' would be a winner for you.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
That Limited is already at a 800
Okay, finally found a 2500 Limited near me that I could drive and view the payload sticker. The news is just awful; 1,990 lb payload.

2019 RAM 2500 SRW 4x4 Limited Crew Cab 6"4" Bed
+Delmonico Red, $100
+Towing Tech Grp, $445
+Protection Group, $95
+5th Whl/Gooseneck Towing Prep, $445
+Body Color Bumper, $395
+Limited Level 1 Group, $2,995
+Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle, $445
+6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel, $9,100
+Power Sunroof, $1,095
-RamBox Delete, -$490

MSRP: $80,520

With our trailer's GVWR of 11,000 and 1,600 hitch weight, there doesn't appear to be any way a 2500 Limited is going to work for us as we'd only have 390 lbs of payload remaining. While we don't need the 5th Wheel / Gooseneck Towing Prep, we would like the RamBox, extra alternator, auto level air suspension, and deployable bed step. Does anyone know the weight of the sunroof or 5th Wheel / Gooseneck Towing Prep?

It's looking like if we're going to get a RAM, it'll have to be a 3500.

Payload for this trim with the 6.7 starts at 2520#s... whereas for the 6.4 it is 3380#s, an 8620# deficit.
Protection group adds about 50lbs , sunroof about the same (the weight is similar to the 1500 options)

From what I've seen, if you are wanting a diesel and want payload, you need to look at the 3500...

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
From my experience, if you're going to tow a large 5th wheel, or most any 5th wheel for that matter, and you need a diesel, a 1 ton is the real answer. I think the 2500 will tow one fine, and really without issue, but if the weight numbers cause you to worry, a 1 ton is THE way to go.

I towed a 34 foot 5th wheel that weighed 14000# with a SRW 1 ton, and it towed great, was under all weight limits, and rode as good as my new 2500. I think it' would be a winner for you.

Thanks Hutchman. Although ours is a bumper pull, it’s great to read your perspective. I think you’re spot on the 3500. I just hope the ride will be much, much better when towing than when not. There’s no way I could drive cross country in an empty 3500 for very long.

That Limited is already at a 800. Payload for this trim with the 6.7 starts at 2520#s... whereas for the 6.4 it is 3380#s, an 8620# deficit.
Protection group adds about 50lbs , sunroof about the same (the weight is similar to the 1500 options). From what I've seen, if you are wanting a diesel and want payload, you need to look at the 3500...

Yup, I have no doubt you are right. That’s why I started to consider a gasser a couple of weekends ago, because the payload was so much better. But, thankfully everyone here talked me out of that decision once they learned what and where we do the bulk of our towing. It has to be diesel for me towing at such significant elevation and grades.

texas.yankee

Reaction score
Thanks Hutchman. Although ours is a bumper pull...

Out of curiosity, what kind of bumper pull TT are you buying with that kind of weight rating? That is a very heavy bumper pull. Most TT bumper pull I have seen are far less than 10k unloaded and well under 1k tongue, so I'm curious what you've got in yours?

Users who are viewing this thread