Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck Payload Info

Admin

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of good info in this thread here for everyone to read. As to @orlando bull point about not trying to cheat payload by "creatively" loading your trailer I also like to use this video to demonstrate why proper loading techniques are important.

D

Deleted member 80

i just saw a Mr Truck road test of a 3500 Limited Crewcab Dually, and he stated(did not show the sticker)payload 5,320 lbs. I was hoping for a little better ;-(

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
i just saw a Mr Truck road test of a 3500 Limited Crewcab Dually, and he stated(did not show the sticker)payload 5,320 lbs. I was hoping for a little better ;-(

If it has 'all the options' like he said, that eats up a bit of weight, he said it had the Aisin so original payload was 5600 based on the tow chart.

bobohio

Reaction score
A lot of good info in this thread here for everyone to read. As to @orlando bull point about not trying to cheat payload by "creatively" loading your trailer I also like to use this video to demonstrate why proper loading techniques are important.

Take it from an ex-trucker...it makes a huge difference on how you load your trailer!! Very unsafe to put more weight in the back than the front!

D

Deleted member 80

FYI, I looked at a pretty well equipped 3500 Dually, Crewcab, Laramie w/Cummins and Aisin today. Payload sticker said 5,380.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 80

Thanks, sounds like a 3500... too bad you couldn't get the VIN or a pic of the sticker.
Yes, I fixed my post to reflect 3500, my bad. I had planned to take a photo, and got sidetracked by the sales guy who wouldn't shut up, even though I told him I was not there to buy.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Yes, I fixed my post to reflect 3500, my bad. I had planned to take a photo, and got sidetracked by the sales guy who wouldn't shut up, even though I told him I was not there to buy.

A salesperson that wont' shut up or leave you alone... whodathunk? LOL

Don-T

Reaction score
The towing and payload chart shows the rating on my truck to be 4420 pounds and the door sticker shows 3797 pounds, that is 623 pounds difference. The truck is a 3500 crew cab, long bed, 4x4, diesel, .Longhorn.

orlando bull

Reaction score
The towing and payload chart shows the rating on my truck to be 4420 pounds and the door sticker shows 3797 pounds, that is 623 pounds difference. The truck is a 3500 crew cab, long bed, 4x4, diesel, .Longhorn.

Wow, that's a hit for sure. Definitely glad I went with the 3500 now. I'll have a similar drop. Chart shows 4340 for mine, so, I should have 3650-3750ish with my loaded up Laramie. Do you have sunroof? That may be 150# or so on it's own...

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Options add weight for sure... really wish they would be more upfront with payload figures by explaining what the truck does/doesn't have when they come up with those numbers.

The Panoramic sunroof on my 1500 is only about 70#... so figure maybe 50# for just the sunroof.

orlando bull

Reaction score
Options add weight for sure... really wish they would be more upfront with payload figures by explaining what the truck does/doesn't have when they come up with those numbers.

The Panoramic sunroof on my 1500 is only about 70#... so figure maybe 50# for just the sunroof.
Cool, I don't know why I was thinking so much. Good to know.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Cool, I don't know why I was thinking so much. Good to know.

Zeronet over on the 5thGENRAM board posted the following weights, until we have better info, I think this is a decent guide:

Limited trim - 166lbs
Bed utility group - 25
Level 1 - 86
Advanced safety group - 50
PANO Sunroof - 70
Anti spin - 16
eLocker - 16
3.92 Axle ratio - 0
eTorque - 80
Brake controller - 0 (not full tow package)
Body colored bumpers - 0
22" wheels - 0 (vs 20" standard wheels)
33 gallon fuel tank - 73
Offroad Group - 119 (minus eLocker)
Ramboxes - 163

4x4 - 240 (but you get 200 more GVWR so 40 net reduction in payload)

Don-T

Reaction score
Wow, that's a hit for sure. Definitely glad I went with the 3500 now. I'll have a similar drop. Chart shows 4340 for mine, so, I should have 3650-3750ish with my loaded up Laramie. Do you have sunroof? That may be 150# or so on it's own...
I don’t have a sunroof in mine. I think that was the only thing I removed from the list when I ordered. The day I pick the truck up at the dealer I will be going across the CAT scale to get the real number with a full fuel tank.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I don’t have a sunroof in mine. I think that was the only thing I removed from the list when I ordered. The day I pick the truck up at the dealer I will be going across the CAT scale to get the real number with a full fuel tank.

That would be very good information to have... thanks for doing that .

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
The towing and payload chart shows the rating on my truck to be 4420 pounds and the door sticker shows 3797 pounds, that is 623 pounds difference.
Like Orlando Bull said, I’m really, really glad I ordered the 3500 as there is no way I could take such a hit on the payload like you did if I had ordered a 2500.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Like Orlando Bull said, I’m really, really glad I ordered the 3500 as there is no way I could take such a hit on the payload like you did if I had ordered a 2500.

If you need a bunch of payload then you certainly made the right choice with the 3500...

Users who are viewing this thread