Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trail_Wagon: The story of "Hope". A 2022 power wagon build

Andersen24

Reaction score
Well because of this, I went ahead and ordered a ProCal Snap for my PW that is also on order. I spoke with Summit Racing and they have a ship date of 7/25/22. I figured I might as well place an order so hopefully it will be close to shipping when my truck gets here. I'm subscribed to this to follow how all works out with you. Also nice to hear how responsive Z-Automotive has been with you!

UglyViking

Reaction score
I'm sure the AEV procal will work completely fine, but I've got to say, I don't understand spending $170 on a unit that only allows for tire size, gear ratio changes and TPMS adjustments when you can purchase a security cable, AlfaOBD and a OBD bluetooth module for the same price or less and have the ability to adjust ALL of your trucks settings, plus have an OBD diag tool and a dedicated security gateway.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
I finally got a chance to take Hope off road. Not just flexing for pics, but actual trail running. I went to Cliffhanger trail just outside of Sedona, rated as moderate/hard. The truck performed as expected.. excellent.

The trail is advanced enough that it required 4LO for some of the rocky sections, and the ground clearance offered by the factory 2" lift and my 37's provided enough clearance that I never scrapped anything on the ground

The "cliffhanger" portion of the trail.
PXL_20220315_192543213.jpgPXL_20220315_192532532.jpg

One of the dry creek beds.
PXL_20220315_190607514.jpgPXL_20220315_192340353.jpg

Just a big shelf
PXL_20220315_191135035.jpgPXL_20220315_192516340.jpgPXL_20220315_192412460.jpg

Last edited:

Andersen24

Reaction score
I finally got a chance to take Hope off road. Not just flexing for pics, but actual trail running. I went to Cliffhanger trail just outside of Sedona, rated as moderate/hard. The truck performed as expected.. excellent.

The trail is advanced enough that it required 4LO for some of the rocky sections, and the ground clearance offered by the factory 2" lift and my 37's provided enough clearance that I never scrapped anything on the ground

View attachment 33979View attachment 33980

View attachment 33981View attachment 33982

Just a big shelf
View attachment 33983View attachment 33984View attachment 33985
Wow, awesome pics! You’re lucky to live so close….great job!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

View attachment 33979View attachment 33980

View attachment 33981View attachment 33982

Just a big shelf
View attachment 33983View attachment 33984View attachment 33985
How did the graps do and at what psi?

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
How did the graps do and at what psi?
I took the front to 25 and the rear to 20, they were conforming to the rocks well, and took the edge off the bumps, making for a smoother ride. I think I'll likely go a little lower in psi next time. Maybe 20/15. I never had a tire slip, so can't complain.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
Initial off road impressions:

With the tires at 25/20, and both sway bars disconnected (the rear manually) I set off down the trail. The beginning is relatively smooth and flat with not a lot of rocks, but some fun ruts and rolling bumps to toss the truck through. The kinda place canam's might hit 40mph for brief spurts. I was cruising along at 15 ish. Honestly, at this point, I'm pretty impressed. Hopes giant bulk was cruising along at a good clip, comfortable and controlled. I felt the bump stops lightly contact a few times and occasionally the twang of the axle unloading and being caught by the factory Bilsteins. I can drive faster in the JL, and even faster in the TJ, but not bad for a 2500. Not a drop off monster has escaped the 1/2 full can in the center console.

The trail then progresses into rocky, craggy shelf formations. Speed is much reduced to more of a crawl. It's a lot bouncier but still pretty comfortable. This is the kinda terrain that will beat the crap out of you with full tire pressure in a regular 2500 truck. In still having fun and enjoying the absolute beast of a truck Hope is proving to be. It's bouncy, and I'm being tossed around enough I can't drive fast enough to hit the bumpstops. Oddly, still no spilled monster.

Now we are in 4lo territory... The giant hemi growls as it heaves 7500 of truck over and up rocks, and hills. The trucks tires fall off the descending side of foot tall rocks and crags allowing momentum and weight to easily overpower the damping the Bilsteins can provide... Then the spring take all of that stored energy and thrust the chassis to the sky overpowering the shocks meager rebound. It's getting bouncy now and the truck is really feeling heavy. The plushness and control is gone, and I'm frequently readjusting my seating position because I was thrown out from my normal spot. I now understand why people complain about the factory shocks. They are not up to the task of controlling this beast in more advanced terrain and the shortcomings of digressive valving really becomes obvious. Still no monster spilt.

I have determined the roll axis is in the cup holder.

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
With the tires at 25/20, and both sway bars disconnected (the rear manually) I set off down the trail. The beginning is relatively smooth and flat with not a lot of rocks, but some fun ruts and rolling bumps to toss the truck through. The kinda place canam's might hit 40mph for brief spurts. I was cruising along at 15 ish. Honestly, at this point, I'm pretty impressed. Hopes giant bulk was cruising along at a good clip, comfortable and controlled. I felt the bump stops lightly contact a few times and occasionally the twang of the axle unloading and being caught by the factory Bilsteins. I can drive faster in the JL, and even faster in the TJ, but not bad for a 2500. Not a drop off monster has escaped the 1/2 full can in the center console.

The trail then progresses into rocky, craggy shelf formations. Speed is much reduced to more of a crawl. It's a lot bouncier but still pretty comfortable. This is the kinda terrain that will beat the crap out of you with full tire pressure in a regular 2500 truck. In still having fun and enjoying the absolute beast of a truck Hope is proving to be. It's bouncy, and I'm being tossed around enough I can't drive fast enough to hit the bumpstops. Oddly, still no spilled monster.

Now we are in 4lo territory... The giant hemi growls as it heaves 7500 of truck over and up rocks, and hills. The trucks tires fall off the descending side of foot tall rocks and crags allowing momentum and weight to easily overpower the damping the Bilsteins can provide... Then the spring take all of that stored energy and thrust the chassis to the sky overpowering the shocks meager rebound. It's getting bouncy now and the truck is really feeling heavy. The plushness and control is gone, and I'm frequently readjusting my seating position because I was thrown out from my normal spot. I now understand why people complain about the factory shocks. They are not up to the task of controlling this beast in more advanced terrain and the shortcomings of digressive valving really becomes obvious.
You should write a book

pharmer81

Reaction score
I'm in the process of ordering a Power Wagon and plan to put 37's on it. How does your setup impact drivability over stock; both in terms of acceleration and gear hunting/speed holding abilities at 80mph on the highway?
BTW, your truck looks incredible, and I'm jealous we don't have terrain like that in Nebraska.

flan

Reaction score
Initial off road impressions:

Now we are in 4lo territory... The giant hemi growls as it heaves 7500 of truck over and up rocks, and hills. The trucks tires fall off the descending side of foot tall rocks and crags allowing momentum and weight to easily overpower the damping the Bilsteins can provide... Then the spring take all of that stored energy and thrust the chassis to the sky overpowering the shocks meager rebound. It's getting bouncy now and the truck is really feeling heavy. The plushness and control is gone, and I'm frequently readjusting my seating position because I was thrown out from my normal spot. I now understand why people complain about the factory shocks. They are not up to the task of controlling this beast in more advanced terrain and the shortcomings of digressive valving really becomes obvious. Still no monster spilt.

I have determined the roll axis is in the cup holder.
Reads like a penthouse forum submission...

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
I'm in the process of ordering a Power Wagon and plan to put 37's on it. How does your setup impact drivability over stock; both in terms of acceleration and gear hunting/speed holding abilities at 80mph on the highway?
BTW, your truck looks incredible, and I'm jealous we don't have terrain like that in Nebraska.
Thank you!
The truck seems to have plenty of power with the 37's. I haven't seen it hunt for gears yet and we have lots of hills here in northern Arizona. I only drove it about 40 miles before I put the bigger tires on, so can't really compare to stock.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

Just a big shelf

Nice! I've done that trail too. We are doing our monthly run this Saturday up in Prescott.

Hibiki54

Reaction score
On 75A wheels, stock 33s at 30 psi and stock suspension, it gets pretty jarring on washboard roads that have been tore up by SxSs

Users who are viewing this thread