Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toyota Has Me Tempted To Separate From Power Wagon

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I've seen you post on here more than once about the duck camp. I think we need a thread/story/pictures of you getting in/out of this duck camp. Sounds rad!
Getting in downhill isn’t horrible bad, getting out she walks and refuses to ride or let the dogs stay in the trailer…cliffs, trenches and stuff. As long as I don’t screw up picking the line…

Redfour5

Reaction score
I’m happy that you’re happy.

I love my truck but it certainly does not invoke any passion of driving lol
I don't know... It has a visceral thing going on I really like. I love sitting high with all that steel around me. And stomping on the gas with the 6.4 at like 45 passing on a two lane is a very pleasant experience.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I wasn’t pooping on the truck. It’s a good truck, but it’s not a fun truck. it’s actually pretty boring which is a good attribute for a tow rig. Drama free.

But, drama is what makes a vehicle fun to drive.

You want drama, be driving a 7700# truck at 40mph when someone pulls out and dead stops 30 yards in front of you. That got real dramatic real fast.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I wasn’t pooping on the truck. It’s a good truck, but it’s not a fun truck. it’s actually pretty boring which is a good attribute for a tow rig. Drama free.

But, drama is what makes a vehicle fun to drive.
Maybe you can play some Hans Zimmer while driving to help get that dramatic feel?

Redfour5

Reaction score
Well, its not a 2500, but a TRX on the the Nurburgring certainly was dramatic. Everyone including the Brit driver was pleasantly surprised.
It was interesting watching him passing vehicles designed for such a feat... But, I'd definitely upgrade the brakes.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I've seen you post on here more than once about the duck camp. I think we need a thread/story/pictures of you getting in/out of this duck camp. Sounds rad!
Turns out she has taken some pics and video while hiking behind..this was the Raptor pulling, though. Only one locker in that one.
Usually she does fine photography but says she was afraid.

IMG_3138.jpegIMG_3137.jpegIMG_3135.jpeg

Docwagon1776

Reaction score

The new Land Cruiser is not winning any battles when it comes to its ground clearance, approach and departure angles. The current 4Runner TRD Pro sits at just over 9 inches above the trails, while the Land Cruiser can just barely clear a standard sheet of office paper with 8.3 inches at its lowest point

The Land Cruiser's 31- and 22-degree approach and departure angles don't stack up to the current 4Runner.

If your definition of off-roading is bringing family and friends along for the easy trails and backroads, then the 2024 Land Cruiser should do that in style. For anything more than the most eroded forest road, we recommend more aggressive off-road tires and additional armor. Though we can't speak (yet) to the effectiveness of the suspension, fitting larger tires will likely require modifications to the struts and springs, and open the door to longer-travel components with more damping capability.
We applaud the standard rear locking differential, the pair of front recovery points, and the front fascia that appears to make fitting aftermarket armor a slightly less painful experience. Plus, there seems to be plenty of space within that front end to stash a winch.

More at link

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

More at link
In the 90s when Toyotas added locking rear diffs they earned a reputation for being off-road machines. Since then, Toyota has been sitting back resting while everybody else has been laser focused on making more capable off road vehicles. Toyota just isn’t taking offroad seriously.

Actually, I’m not sure what Toyota is taking seriously because both of their sports cars are made by other people.

jetrinka

Reaction score
In the 90s when Toyotas added locking rear diffs they earned a reputation for being off-road machines. Since then, Toyota has been sitting back resting while everybody else has been laser focused on making more capable off road vehicles. Toyota just isn’t taking offroad seriously.

Actually, I’m not sure what Toyota is taking seriously because both of their sports cars are made by other people.
Every single thing they make drives like a Camry IMO

jsalbre

Reaction score
You want drama, be driving a 7700# truck at 40mph when someone pulls out and dead stops 30 yards in front of you. That got real dramatic real fast.

Since so many people have reacted, I figure I should finish this story. This happened at the end of a long interstate off-ramp, right before the intersection. I was in the rightmost of two left turn lanes, with a right turn lane to my right. No one in front of me, and a line of cars slowly making their way through the turn in both the left and right lanes. As I’m the previously mentioned 30y from the intersection the small sedan about to enter the intersection on the far left lane suddenly turns right and stops in front of me, completely sideways across the lane. Thankfully I already had my foot on the brake and was slowing down for the turn, but standing on the brake pedal with both feet (and a hand on the horn) I came to a stop less then a foot from the passenger side of the car. The car then turns it right blinker on, waits for the right turn lane to be empty, and then goes on its way.

That person has no idea how close they came to having a very bad day. Forget anything about plain bad driving, too many people need lessons about the distance it takes to stop nearly 4 tons of vehicle and the damage it can do to whatever it hits.

Metternacht

Reaction score
I had similar incident where I had entered a round-about and the girl in the next entrance to the right, came to a stop then proceeded to pull out in front of me and stop. I was only doing 25mph but still had to stand on the brakes and lay on the horn, stopped about the same distance as you. All I saw was her eyes get really big as she saw the truck bearing down on her and her hands in the air. My 9year old was not happy and I am sure she probably learned a few choice words that night. Some people just don't know what they are doing and have no concept of basic physics, braking distances or rules of the road.

Redfour5

Reaction score
TFL has a new video on that "BASE" model, likely in the 55K range on pricing stripped but even stripped isn't bad...
Of course demand will be so great for these that most people won't even be able to consider getting one and unless toyota has better control over their dealers than everyone else, I fully expect to see "market adjustments" out the wazoo. And we could also see the low mileage (basically new) USED market exceed the new ordered pricing like we did with trucks here a year and a half ago...

Redfour5

Reaction score
Since so many people have reacted, I figure I should finish this story. This happened at the end of a long interstate off-ramp, right before the intersection. I was in the rightmost of two left turn lanes, with a right turn lane to my right. No one in front of me, and a line of cars slowly making their way through the turn in both the left and right lanes. As I’m the previously mentioned 30y from the intersection the small sedan about to enter the intersection on the far left lane suddenly turns right and stops in front of me, completely sideways across the lane. Thankfully I already had my foot on the brake and was slowing down for the turn, but standing on the brake pedal with both feet (and a hand on the horn) I came to a stop less then a foot from the passenger side of the car. The car then turns it right blinker on, waits for the right turn lane to be empty, and then goes on its way.

That person has no idea how close they came to having a very bad day. Forget anything about plain bad driving, too many people need lessons about the distance it takes to stop nearly 4 tons of vehicle and the damage it can do to whatever it hits.
The laws of physics will have their way, and mass and momentum don't care...how stupid you are as it simply kills you...

el_barto

Reaction score

Agree with you for sure on their offerings 2005ish to recent, definitely resting on their prior success. 3rd Gen Tacoma kinda stole the market when no other offerings were available, but they’ve had to sharpen the pencil a bit lately now that there are some competitors on the market with the Colorado, Ranger, and Gladiator.
5th Gen 4Runner has an inexplicable cult following despite the ancient powertrain(5 speed auto strapped behind an underpowered and inefficient v6) and dull interior.
They’ve been doing things in the past couple years that have me paying attention to them now though with the GR Corolla and now the new Land Cruiser . Even the new Prius isn’t half bad looking

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Agree with you for sure on their offerings 2005ish to recent, definitely resting on their prior success. 3rd Gen Tacoma kinda stole the market when no other offerings were available, but they’ve had to sharpen the pencil a bit lately now that there are some competitors on the market with the Colorado, Ranger, and Gladiator.
5th Gen 4Runner has an inexplicable cult following despite the ancient powertrain(5 speed auto strapped behind an underpowered and inefficient v6) and dull interior.
They’ve been doing things in the past couple years that have me paying attention to them now though with the GR Corolla and now the new Land Cruiser . Even the new Prius isn’t half bad looking
Old meme but yea 2005- present basically applied
IMG_4982.png

Users who are viewing this thread