Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toyota Has Me Tempted To Separate From Power Wagon

el_barto

Reaction score
The 2024 Land Cruiser has my eye, making me really consider trading my Power Wagon for it.

They arent really comparable, but I think I could live with the LC.

Power: 2.4L Turbo Hybrid, 326hp/465ft-lb. Considering the hp loss naturally aspirated 6.4L have at altitude (assuming 3% loss per 1000ft, I live at over 5000ft, that 15% loss so ~350hp), the turbo 2.4L would be nearly as powerful (and more torque) than the PW. And probably weighs between 5 and 6k, which is substantially lighter.

Fuel Economy: No official mpg yet, but estimated 27mpg combined. I get 13mpg combined in the PW. Double.

Towing: Power Wagon rated at ~10,000, LC at 6,000lb. I dont tow frequently, so this isnt a huge factor for me.

Offroad: The PW is a beast, body on frame, solid axles, dual locking axles and front sway bar disconnect. Its the winner. But its huge and doesnt fit down a lot of trails . The Land Cruiser, I mean, its a Land Crusier. It will surely have offroad chops. Body on frame, but independent front susp, standard locking center and rear axle, optional front sway bar disconnect, full time 4wd. Factory 33s. Still a big vehicle compared to a TJ, but substantially smaller than the PW. No factory winch, but Im sure the aftermarket would solve that with ease.

Camping: I camp in the bed of my truck under the topper. Its great. But Im sure i could sleep in the back of the LC. 2400W inverter standard is pretty neat feature for powering accessories.

Truck Bed: Well I like having a truck bed for hauling, but since i got the topper it makes it more of an SUV anyways. I suppose I would just have to get a small trailer for hauling gravel, slash, leaves, trash etc. Ive used my truck to haul pallets occasionally for work, but probably not often enough to say I need a truck bed.

Another big plus is the Toyota aftermarket is huge. Lots of options, and because theres lots of options pricing is more competitive

But damn I do love my power wagon! I definitely was planning on keeping this truck for 100k miles plus, 5-10 years, but here i am at a little over 40k miles and nearly 4 years and questioning everthing.

Thanks for listening to my Ted talk.

Reaction score
The new LC is cool, but honestly I think the new Lexus GX550 (same vehicle underneath) looks better, and has better engine options. I’m sure the price will be higher though.
Agree. Idk what Toyota was smoking by inserting that turbo 4cyl engine into the LC with the hybrid system. After 35” wheels and tires, and a lift, it’s going to be weak as piss imo.

The Lexus has a much nicer interior also, front end looks nicer.

I personally do not see where this fits when the new 4Runner comes out. I would have thought it was one or the other. I’m a Land Cruiser fan, grew up with them in Australia, but this makes no sense. They could have dropped the tundra motor in there as a “TRD” engine or something and that would have been great. I wanted to give it a chance to maybe pick one up, but we’ll have to see what the reviews say when the press ones come out. I just can’t see this being a good turnout. The Lexus is a better option, providing if it has a 3rd row, it folds flat. I was inches from a sequoia trd pro, in fact I had a deposit on one, then I saw the absolutely ridiculous 3rd row and storage, whoever designed that is an IDIOT. Totally useless for storage when folded, and totally useless when not folded.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I’m a huge Toyota fan, and have owned one, or more, at a time for over 20 years. Our current Toyota is a 03 4Runner with 232K on it.

That being said, yikes! The new LC is hideous. But that’s taste to to each their own. I also think they destroyed the Tundra’s appearance.

As far as power, altitude loss is 3% per 1K feet but 5K feet isn’t 15%, it’s slightly less because you don’t lose 3% of sea level power each thousand feet but rather 3% of the power being made at the 1K lower elevation. 5K feet would be a 14.13% loss, which is close but I’m just pointing out the difference. The power loss also assumes that rated power takes 100% of the available airflow on a standard day at sea level. If the engine can flow 110% of the required air at sea level then it won’t see near the performance degradation for the first few thousand feet. Turbo motors do also see power degradation with elevation, but not as drastic as NA rigs. Part of the LC’s power is from the electric motor and if your batteries aren’t adequately charged you won’t get that power.

I’m not trying to steer you away, rather I’m trying to make sure you see it for what it is and how it will actually preform.

Aside from overall figment on trails I don’t see any real advantage to a LC over a PW, unless the PW isn’t the correct rig for you.

el_barto

Reaction score
Its interesting what Im reading it seems like a lot of people dont like the appearance. I think it looks pretty sharp. Simple and understated imo.

I dont need it to be a racecar, but have enough power to get up the mountains with out screaming bloody murder or running out of steam, or make a pass without hesitation. I think the 4 banger turbo hybrid will do fine. The V6 TT in the Lexus version surely will be torquer at the low end, but I think the 2.4L will be more than adequate. Plus I prefer the "simpler"/less luxurious interior...thats what I love about my power wagon is the relatively robust interior with HVAC and radio knobs, durable surfaces(cloth/vinyl seats), etc.

If it was offered with a manual transmission Id be 100% sold, but its not like my PW is manual so its no loss there.

BUT a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Power Wagon is already mine, ive spent quite a bit on modifications i wouldnt get back if I were to sell, and its pretty dialed in from a modification perspective. Trading / selling I wouldnt have to pay too much towards a LC (based on the estimated MSRP of mid-50k), but the Power Wagon is nearly paid off and no payments would be nice.

Last edited:

Aaandroger

Reaction score
I like the LC, and the GX. We also had an Ineos Grenadier reservation--until they released the pricing.

As release gets closer, and you decide to lose the PW, look to see if you have any specialty dealers near you. Places like lifted trucks.com will pay more for your truck because it is already tastefully modified.

el_barto

Reaction score
I like the LC, and the GX. We also had an Ineos Grenadier reservation--until they released the pricing.

As release gets closer, and you decide to lose the PW, look to see if you have any specialty dealers near you. Places like lifted trucks.com will pay more for your truck because it is already tastefully modified.

thanks for the Intel on liftedtrucks.com I’ll keep them in mind. I would also probably consider Carsandbids.com

I definitely don’t want to just trade it in to the dealer, unless I were to try and remove all of the mods first(WK rock sliders, AEV rear bumper, Carli diff guard, Dethloff transmission skid plate, ARB compressor and air outlets in both bumpers, Fox shocks, SwitchPros 9100, fiberglass topper, etc….I know mods sometimes don’t add value…but I figure these gotta count for close to $10k in value.)

Last edited:

Aaandroger

Reaction score
I feel you. I am much too lazy to remove everything on the truck prior to trade in. But, I would never trade it in with all of the additions.

There are people in need here on the forum that would love slightly used, quality power wagon / HD parts

Reaction score

The Ineos Grenadier is pretty sweet. But yes the price.

There aren’t really any contenders left, 392 Jeep and the bronco raptor maybe. Hummer H1 still holds a place for me, that was killer.

Nick

Reaction score
The Last LC I had was a 74 FJ 40 loved that truck . Super tough and reliable . Never in all the years I owned it did it ever let me down 4 wheeling . Drove it cross country twice . As much as those L C' s cost these days I couldn't imagine bouncing down trails and scratching and dinging it .

jsalbre

Reaction score
The Last LC I had was a 74 FJ 40 loved that truck . Super tough and reliable . Never in all the years I owned it did it ever let me down 4 wheeling . Drove it cross country twice . As much as those L C' s cost these days I couldn't imagine bouncing down trails and scratching and dinging it .

Honestly I doubt cost will be much of a concern. There’s plenty of people on here bouncing $80-90k trucks down trails.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Holy smokes a little turbo 4 cyl/hybrid? Scary

Paddy3101

Reaction score
Power: 2.4L Turbo Hybrid, 326hp/465ft-lb
That power/torque will be when the battery is fully charged, if the EMC decides to let you. hove it. (The gas part is probably something like 200hp and half of the torque)
The hybrid part will be filling in the torque/power where the turbo hasn't run up yet. Which means you won't get much, just off idle, when you have run your battery down.
Usability off-road is going to depend largely on how good Toyota's programmers are, and how well it's tuned for slow-speed.

Doesn't say how long that power/torque lasts, wouldn't want to run out of battery half way up a climb....

That said, can't argue with the fuel savings (some of which may translate to range).

But, if going hybrid, might as well go all the way, and go full electric. Rivian R1S looks very similar.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
That power/torque will be when the battery is fully charged, if the EMC decides to let you. hove it. (The gas part is probably something like 200hp and half of the torque)
The hybrid part will be filling in the torque/power where the turbo hasn't run up yet. Which means you won't get much, just off idle, when you have run your battery down.
Usability off-road is going to depend largely on how good Toyota's programmers are, and how well it's tuned for slow-speed.

Doesn't say how long that power/torque lasts, wouldn't want to run out of battery half way up a climb....

That said, can't argue with the fuel savings (some of which may translate to range).

But, if going hybrid, might as well go all the way, and go full electric. Rivian R1S looks very similar.
“Rivian”…..He probably wants something at least a bit useful.

el_barto

Reaction score
I know someone who got a rivian after 3 years on the wait list and sold it immediately. Lots of “new company/new car” bugs that need to be figured out. He said ride quality was trash, doors were creaky, etc

el_barto

Reaction score

It’s the same 2.4T in the 2024 Tacoma; 278hp/317ftlb in non-hybrid trim…not bad tbh.

The 4cyl 2.7T in the Colorado/Silverado has been getting great reviews. These aren’t the 4 bangers we used to know in the 90s.

Users who are viewing this thread