Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toyota Has Me Tempted To Separate From Power Wagon

jsalbre

Reaction score
Not that this applies to the new LC, but I had a brand new (5 miles on the clock) Tacoma TRD Offroad as a rental last week. That thing was painful to drive, literally and figuratively. The seat was so low to the floor that it killed my knees. The engine was gutless, and the transmission could never figure out what gear to be in, but managed to always be in the wrong one. Disappointing to say the least.

I'm sure the new Tacoma will be much better of course.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Not that this applies to the new LC, but I had a brand new (5 miles on the clock) Tacoma TRD Offroad as a rental last week. That thing was painful to drive, literally and figuratively. The seat was so low to the floor that it killed my knees. The engine was gutless, and the transmission could never figure out what gear to be in, but managed to always be in the wrong one. Disappointing to say the least.

My ‘16 work tundra seats kill me

Poolmonkey

Reaction score

2021 was the worst thing I ever drove and of course, drove it a long round trip. The truck itself was ok for what it is but the seat was soooo bad.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Toyota in general has been building lack luster garbage (IMHO) for close to 20 years now. If it drives like a Camry then it gets the Toyota badge of approval. Boring boring boring. Off road gizmos that don’t work well. Garbage interiors. Yawn

el_barto

Reaction score

Yep that sounds about right. Huge complaint with the Tacoma seats for years is that it’s seat is on the floor. And the engine isn’t anything to write home about other than it’s reliable

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Yep that sounds about right. Huge complaint with the Tacoma seats for years is that it’s seat is on the floor. And the engine isn’t anything to write home about other than it’s reliable
Have you seen the new gimmick? They have air suspension seats available now. They should’ve just collaborated with PRP those are affordable and great suspension seats

snocam

Reaction score
I used to be a Toyota guy. I had several early tacomas, and 3 tundras, including a 2008 5.7 I bought new. That tundra was ok. In that it was quick, somewhat reliable. I had to have the top end torn down and revealed for a cam tower leak at 45k miles. After that, I began to realize Toyota was banking on the idea of reliability, not the reality. They cannot build a frame that doesn't rust easily, interior sucks. I feel my 3/4 ton ram drives better than any Toyota I've ever owned. I wouldn't own another toy. No reason to. I love my 2500. We off road in the wife's gladiator, and I work the hell out of my F350 dump body. I'm kinda die hard straight front axle too!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

HarryDangler

Reaction score
The new Land Cruiser is looking like it will heavily overlap with the 4Runner, which I don’t understand. It used to slot in size wise between the 4Runner and sequoia, but now that it’s smaller I think it’s excessive overlap? Much like the Nissan maxima and the Nissan Altima from where I sit.
Personally I would recommend the current GX460 unless you need new tech. From my experience the GX460 is the best mid sized suv for sale in America. If you want less the 4Runner is a close 2nd.
All that said I did sell mine for a Power wagon, but that was driven by maximum protection for my toddler. Northern VA feels like risking your life every time you leave your driveway.

HaraldHardrada

Reaction score
The new Land Cruiser is looking like it will heavily overlap with the 4Runner, which I don’t understand. It used to slot in size wise between the 4Runner and sequoia, but now that it’s smaller I think it’s excessive overlap? Much like the Nissan maxima and the Nissan Altima from where I sit.
Personally I would recommend the current GX460 unless you need new tech. From my experience the GX460 is the best mid sized suv for sale in America. If you want less the 4Runner is a close 2nd.
All that said I did sell mine for a Power wagon, but that was driven by maximum protection for my toddler. Northern VA feels like risking your life every time you leave your driveway.
There's a few of us Land Cruiser - Power Wagon (current and former) owners out there ... I believe it is because as a group we appreciate overbuilt robust machines :cool:

HarryDangler

Reaction score
There's a few of us Land Cruiser - Power Wagon (current and former) owners out there ... I believe it is because as a group we appreciate overbuilt robust machines :cool:
I agree with that. I’ve spent an unfortunate number of months in some harsh places such as Iraq, Afghanistan, Niger, Kenya, and a few other African countries. Land cruisers, Prados, Hilux, and Corollas dominate those places and inspired me to own a Tacoma and GX. Both were keepers in different life circumstances and I’m hoping the Ram keeps pace on the robust front.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I agree with that. I’ve spent an unfortunate number of months in some harsh places such as Iraq, Afghanistan, Niger, Kenya, and a few other African countries. Land cruisers, Prados, Hilux, and Corollas dominate those places and inspired me to own a Tacoma and GX. Both were keepers in different life circumstances and I’m hoping the Ram keeps pace on the robust front.
It always feels better with more steel between you and your family and the insanity of the world today...

el_barto

Reaction score
Nah I think the GX is ugly (especially interior), and with the V8 there’s very limited fuel economy gains over the power wagon

I agree it seems there could be some market overlap/cannibalism between the new TLC and the new T4R…. Well have to wait and see how they dress out the 4Runner and what the pricing is, but MY theory is that besides the LC having full time 4WD vs 4runner part time 4WD (except limited trim), that the 4R will not get the 2.4T-Hybrid, but instead just the 2.4 turbo (non hybrid) and the 2.5 hybrid (non turbo). It will also almost certainly have more aggressive styling like the Tacoma vs the more conservative/“mature“ styling of the Land Cruiser.

HarryDangler

Reaction score
Nah I think the GX is ugly (especially interior), and with the V8 there’s very limited fuel economy gains over the power wagon

I agree it seems there could be some market overlap/cannibalism between the new TLC and the new T4R…. Well have to wait and see how they dress out the 4Runner and what the pricing is, but MY theory is that besides the LC having full time 4WD vs 4runner part time 4WD (except limited trim), that the 4R will not get the 2.4T-Hybrid, but instead just the 2.4 turbo (non hybrid) and the 2.5 hybrid (non turbo). It will also almost certainly have more aggressive styling like the Tacoma vs the more conservative/“mature“ styling of the Land Cruiser.
Funny because I think that about the new LC styling and the v8 was one of my favorite parts of the GX. Admittedly the fuel mileage was bad (16 average) made worse by premium gas, but mpg doesn’t get my consideration. Luckily we have options to accommodate us all.

stickshifter

Reaction score
The 2024 Land Cruiser has my eye, making me really consider trading my Power Wagon for it.

They arent really comparable, but I think I could live with the LC.

Power: 2.4L Turbo Hybrid, 326hp/465ft-lb. Considering the hp loss naturally aspirated 6.4L have at altitude (assuming 3% loss per 1000ft, I live at over 5000ft, that 15% loss so ~350hp), the turbo 2.4L would be nearly as powerful (and more torque) than the PW. And probably weighs between 5 and 6k, which is substantially lighter.

Fuel Economy: No official mpg yet, but estimated 27mpg combined. I get 13mpg combined in the PW. Double.

Towing: Power Wagon rated at ~10,000, LC at 6,000lb. I dont tow frequently, so this isnt a huge factor for me.

Offroad: The PW is a beast, body on frame, solid axles, dual locking axles and front sway bar disconnect. Its the winner. But its huge and doesnt fit down a lot of trails . The Land Cruiser, I mean, its a Land Crusier. It will surely have offroad chops. Body on frame, but independent front susp, standard locking center and rear axle, optional front sway bar disconnect, full time 4wd. Factory 33s. Still a big vehicle compared to a TJ, but substantially smaller than the PW. No factory winch, but Im sure the aftermarket would solve that with ease.

Camping: I camp in the bed of my truck under the topper. Its great. But Im sure i could sleep in the back of the LC. 2400W inverter standard is pretty neat feature for powering accessories.

Truck Bed: Well I like having a truck bed for hauling, but since i got the topper it makes it more of an SUV anyways. I suppose I would just have to get a small trailer for hauling gravel, slash, leaves, trash etc. Ive used my truck to haul pallets occasionally for work, but probably not often enough to say I need a truck bed.

Another big plus is the Toyota aftermarket is huge. Lots of options, and because theres lots of options pricing is more competitive

But damn I do love my power wagon! I definitely was planning on keeping this truck for 100k miles plus, 5-10 years, but here i am at a little over 40k miles and nearly 4 years and questioning everthing.

Thanks for listening to my Ted talk.
Unless you consistently find that the PW is too big on the trails you want to drive, or you live in the city, stay in your PW!

I only see two advantages to the new LC compared to the PW: (1) smaller in size which will come in handy nipping around the city, and on tight trails; (2) better fuel efficiency.

Otherwise, every possible thing you'd put on a pros/cons spreadsheet favors the PW. Seriously.

But that is just unsolicited advice from a random guy on the internet :D

el_barto

Reaction score
Unless you consistently find that the PW is too big on the trails you want to drive, or you live in the city, stay in your PW!

I only see two advantages to the new LC compared to the PW: (1) smaller in size which will come in handy nipping around the city, and on tight trails; (2) better fuel efficiency.

Otherwise, every possible thing you'd put on a pros/cons spreadsheet favors the PW. Seriously.

But that is just unsolicited advice from a random guy on the internet :D
Yes. Colorado trail are tight.

stickshifter

Reaction score
Yes. Colorado trail are tight.
Yeah... I'm in Coloardo too, so I hear ya. And even if you can fit down the trail, pulling to one side to accommodate on-coming traffic on the trail is a hassle in a 2500. But you will be giving up a lot if you trade the PW for the new LC. But its all down to the individual, and how that person is going to use the vehicle. Good luck deciding!

freebird_78

Reaction score

Same here. I bought a new '19 TRD Pro. Absolute worst piece of **** I've ever owned. Worst transmission/engine combo I've ever owned. ****tiest interior I've ever owned.

Thankfully the TuRD fanbois out there paid me what I paid for it. Could not sell it fast enough. Will NEVER own another Toyota. EVER. But they do look "cool", no denying that. That's what suckered me in.

stickshifter

Reaction score
Same here. I bought a new '19 TRD Pro. Absolute worst piece of **** I've ever owned. Worst transmission/engine combo I've ever owned. ****tiest interior I've ever owned.

Thankfully the TuRD fanbois out there paid me what I paid for it. Could not sell it fast enough. Will NEVER own another Toyota. EVER. But they do look "cool", no denying that. That's what suckered me in.
Agreed! The 3.5 liter V6 in the 3rd Gen Tacoma is the worst truck engine - maybe ever. Zero low end torque. I have the manual transmission so I don't have the horrendous gear-hunting problem, but the manual does not solve the lack of power under 3700 rpms.

Users who are viewing this thread